After meeting meetings...

Started by Stonewall, December 26, 2008, 02:57:48 AM

Stonewall

Anyone meet up for an after meeting meeting?  Not an official meeting, but where a few of the seniors, maybe even senior cadets get together for a bite to eat and maybe discuss things you couldn't at the meetings?

As a cadet it was Burger King or as we secretly called it "Bravo Kilo".  I know, subtle.

As a senior, we went to a Mickey Dees. 

At both places, in two different states during two different time periods, it was almost as we adopted these two places to where they locked us in after they closed (22:00) and let us continue to hang out.  In fact at the McDee's, they gave us free food.  Went on for years.

I am not aware of this happening at my current squadron.  Maybe times have changed.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

IceNine

We pretty much stuck to denny's and steak and shake
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Major Carrales

After a visit from , we started meeting up at a local What-a-burger.  Later we switched to IHOP.

However, once we moved to CAP STATION CORPUS CHRISTI at the International Airport, we were pretty much too far from any place to do this.  Strangely, 90% of the unit's membership is not from Corpus Christi Proper.

I do sometime take Brahma Cadet Flight members from Kingsville to the Corpus Christi Meeting...we do get to stop afterwards to feed at the MacDonalds or What-a-Burger in Robstown, Texas.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Timbo

At my last Squadron it was the O-Club.  The Post Commander let CAP Senior Members join the club, it was very nice. 

Stonewall

Quote from: Timbo on December 26, 2008, 03:07:09 AM
At my last Squadron it was the O-Club. 

That's actually what we referred to McDonald's as, the "O Club".
Serving since 1987.

Trung Si Ma

Julio's.

They're so use to seeing us as a group that they started setting a table for our normal crew when I went in there by myself for lunch earlier this week.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

mprokosch11

Us senior cadets meet at McDonald's the third Tuesday of each month. Occasionally, we will go to an "actual" restaurant.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

JoeTomasone

WIWAC, it was Friendly's - a (mostly) Northeastern ice cream & burger joint.   Every week post-meeting.

As a SM, I've only been on Wing and Group staff, not so much post-meeting activity there since everyone lived/lives pretty far apart.

cap235629

OUr seniors usually wind up at TGIFridays
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

♠SARKID♠

El Grecco's right next to our airport.  Members of our squadron have been going there for years and years after every meeting night.  We're friends with the staff and know the deeper details of our waitress' life.  That's how tight we are there.

lordmonar

We got a little bar-grill near the Airport where we have dinner and a little adult beverage.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

The unofficial Addison Composite Squadron 'officer's club' is a place called Two Rows near the Dallas North Tollway. Good chow and a frosty microbrew... ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LtCol057

We used to reconvene our after-meetings at the local Western Sizzlin, but lately, as soon as I say "that's all I have" half the seniors are at full gallop out the door.  It's not like our meetings are long. Most times it takes me longer to drive to the meeting than the meeting lasts.  But that's about to change. They just don't know it yet.   :-X   Don't spill the beans, NCHokie. 

Duke Dillio

Back in the day (A Thursday by the way) our after hours entertainment was at a local Shari's.  With the squadron I am in now, there isn't anything close by.  Sharpe's Depot is kindof in the boonies so there aren't any official "unofficial" after hours meetings...

JAFO78

My first squadron, Valley Squadron used a Ground Round, SM Only.

When I went to Viking it was Pizza Hut right across the street. It was open to everyone. During the summer it was weekly, but with school started, what with homework it dropped to monthly for some, weekly for us SM. We used to order 5 to 6 pizzas and 8 pitchers of Pepsi.

Our C/CC would always remind everyone to bring $5 bucks next week.

ah the good ol days.  :'(

Thanks UK, I forgot about the after meetings meeting.
JAFO

Johnny Yuma

WIWAC, it was Long John Silvers, then Godfather's pizza as a couple older cadets worked there and one of the seniors was the store manager.

We (briefly) had a unit CC whose picture was next to micromanagement in Webster's dictionary. If there were more than 3 cadets together, CAP or not, he thought he had to approve the meeting. The clown actually followed the older cadets who drove around after meeting to make certain we went straight home, even on meeting nights.

He did this to me twice: I stopped after a meeting to pick up my paycheck from the fun park I worked at. After about 5 minutes of him lecturing me about unapproved activities in a CAP uniform and that I had 2 cadets with me I was taking home my boss walked over to my car, handed me my check and told my CC to leave before he called the cops on him. The guy actually next meeting told the cadets my workplace was off limits for any CAP cadet.

One night the clown followed me downtown. I was picking my father up from work at the Police Department. I parked, ran in and told the cop at the desk I was being followed by some old guy. The gendarmes, plus my (very pissed) father convinced him that following young men around at all hours of the night wasn't appropriate behavior for a man who worked in the educational profession.

He left CAP shortly afterward.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Stonewall

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 26, 2008, 01:12:14 PM
WIWAC, it was Long John Silvers, then Godfather's pizza as a couple older cadets worked there and one of the seniors was the store manager.

Was Godfather's Pizza a Florida thing?  I don't see it around anymore but I thought it was a FL place.

You from FL?
Serving since 1987.

NIN

WIWAC, it was the Mickey D's down the street from the Jr High we met at. 

Later, as a senior, we used to visit a very quiet (quiet as in "How the hell does this place stay in business") pub across the street from the Jr High we met at. (different sq).

Every squadron I've been a member of in MI Wing had an "after-meeting" location.  Before I was a member of the South Oakland squadron, their after-meeting was in the Ram's Horn (Sorta like a Big Boy, but local, and a little more "greasy spoon"-ish) right out in front of my apartment complex, so I'd walk over and visit with the guys. Later, when I was the deputy and then commander in the unit, we'd do the "Romeo Hotel" (the Ram's Horn) to the point where on Wednesday nights they'd have a bunch of tables pushed together for us and coffee on standby when we breezed in the door.  Chicken sub with soup was my standard after-meeting fare.  Mmmmm... Occasionally we'd take a Romeo Hotel break and hit the Big Boy on Telegraph Road for a while. 

My unit here in NH?  We have the "Officer's Club East" (the local Friendlys), the "Officer's Club West" (the Legion), and the "all ranks club" (Dunkin' Donuts).   The cadets do tend to congregate at the Wendy's about 100 yards from the Armory, but since we have to go out the gate on the other side of the reservation now, its far less convenient.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

WIWAC, a local diner ('60s time frame). In my previous unit ('99 - '04) as an SM, Denny's. Now, yak in the parking lot for a few minutes, and then off to home. Since I'm in a Senior Sq. now, that's all we really need.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret