Seeking NTC approval

Started by ♠SARKID♠, December 12, 2008, 12:23:10 AM

♠SARKID♠

My latest comm project in the pipeline is to homebrew a headset for the Micom-2B.  Unfortunately, I can't find a single commercially made headset for the radio.  I also want to be able to put an inline switch to the internal speaker, because it can only be shut off by disconnecting it (per Motorola manual) and I want it to be able to go between just the headset and having it on speaker.  This poses a couple of problems.  First, per CAPR 100-1, any "homebrew" equipment has to be approved by the NTC.  Second, any modifications (disconnection of speaker) have to be approved as well.  My question is, has anyone ever sought approval from the NTC on anything?  It seems like a bit of a task at first glance, but who says they won't say yes?  Has anyone else had good luck with their submissions?

Eclipse

Are you modifying corporate equipment or personal equipment?

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Corporate, otherwise I wouldn't need approval.

Eclipse

I personally wouldn't even consider mucking with corporate gear, too risky and expensive.

If you are going to go to the NTC, you really should have through-the-chain approval, since those people are
responsible for the gear, and my guess is anything that requires cutting a wire or drilling holes is going to be a "no".

I know we were prohibited from cutting the external wiring harnesses on the EFJ's, and its simply not worth the argument.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Without breaking anything, i'd recommend building the specs and diagrams, and shoot it on up. Maybe they'll like it, maybe they won't.

Of course, you gotta convice your wing commo to bless you making mods to the radio too, which is probably a bigger hurdle then NTC.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

♠SARKID♠

Well, here's what I'm hoping.  If the speaker requires desoldering, then I agree I won't even bother, too much damage risk.  But if it has a pinned connector, it would simply require inserting my own extension cable and splicing a switch from the extension to the outside.  To access the speaker you remove the control head (simple, taken off with a screwdriver per Motorola manual).  I could possibly run a flat ribbon wire from the extension, between the chassis and the control head so that the head snaps back on cleanly without the gaps a round wire would leave, and without drilling holes.  Then it would be a simple rocker switch attached to the exposed ribbon wire to turn the speaker on and off.

Of course I'd be submitting a blueprint of my mod if I sent it upstairs.

♠SARKID♠

In fact, now that I think about it, the wire could probably run out the slats in the speaker cover.  That would be even less complicated, though less aesthetically pleasing.

♠SARKID♠

Picking up from the "console" thread.

Quote from: SltWaterDrinker on April 09, 2009, 01:16:59 PM
Yeah-the 3M ones are 400 dollars each-but you can do some "secret searching" and find aftermarket ones that are much, much cheaper. Or you could simply make your own-I have a Firecom headset system with the headphone jack looking connector and adapter-all I need is a spectra microphone cord. In this case, you would just need the proper jack that fits your radio-and then boom.

What type of Micom are you referring to?

I'm referring to the micom-2.  Now, my google-fu is strong; some of the strongest.  And I have the darndest time even making the internet recognize that the Micom exists.  I've put a lot of time into trying to find affordable headsets for this radio and I am inclined towards disbelief that cheap or aftermarket headsets are readily available out there.  Show me a link and I'll eat my words.

That said, I do have a brand new spectra astro/sabre headset lying around that I picked up cheap.  I have been considering buying a cheap $20 micom mic (mics I could have coming out my ears), hacking off the handset, cutting the spectra plug off the headset, and mating the two cables.  Problem is that I don't know if the wiring will match up or not so I haven't tried it.  Those headset cables are worth beaucoup bucks and I'd hate to lob the end off if it wouldn't do me any good.

RADIOMAN015

Not having an easy way to connect a headset to any of the newer corporate radio equipment (except the airborne radios) is problematic.  There are times when you need headsets to perform the mission.  Unfortunately, I don't see that (allow modifications) as a priority of NTC
RM

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 09, 2009, 11:56:44 PM
Not having an easy way to connect a headset to any of the newer corporate radio equipment (except the airborne radios) is problematic.  There are times when you need headsets to perform the mission.  Unfortunately, I don't see that (allow modifications) as a priority of NTC
RM

Are you talking about the handhelds or the mobiles?

For the handhelds I found all kinds of accessories including surveilance mics and headsets, etc. - the are pin compatible with the HT1000.

As to the mobiles, my favorite DC built nice headsets with PTT hand switches using stock microphone connectors, etc.  His gear no modifications to the radio itself were necessary.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

QuoteAs to the mobiles, my favorite DC built nice headsets with PTT hand switches using stock microphone connectors, etc.  His gear no modifications to the radio itself were necessary.

Any chance you could scrounge up a schematic?

MikeD

SARKID, did you figure out where you're going to school to get your EE degree yet?   ;D  I only skimmed this but I think I can give you some kind of letter of recommendation (same for being a NASA coop student).

♠SARKID♠

Ha!  No thanks, when i go back to college it'll be for firefighting (Music Education didn't hold my interest the first time around).  I do hold an interest in electronics and whatnot but not enough to make a career out of it.

As an update, I made breakthrough(?) on the whole headset deal.  I checked the spectra headset I have and noticed it had a pinout schematic with it.  Then, I realized that the plug on the face of the Micom is a common RJ45 connector (ethernet).  With the headset pinout and the micom pinout (courtesy of the secure comm page) I figured it would be a simple matter of connecting the wires and I'd have a headset...I was mistaken.  I grabbed an old ethernet cable and chopped off the end with about 5inches of lead, connected the wires as they should have been, plugged it in to the radio and its as if the headset wasn't even there.  So, I'm going to have to play around some more and figure out the proper wiring to make this work.