Main Menu

CAP JAG?

Started by Maj Ballard, November 17, 2008, 03:44:46 PM

CPT Anderson

Quote from: alwaysreadyneverhere on January 22, 2009, 01:29:44 PM
^ That's AWESOME!

Now back on topic. What someone puts on LinkedIn and what someone puts on official correspondence are two totally different things. As long as they are not using it on official correspondence, I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over it. While I don't agree with using a different job title on your resume than what CAP generally uses, who's to say that the Wing King (or Queen) didn't create a position with that title. I don't know if that's authorized or not, but seriously who's going to stop them? That individual may have just been trying to fluff their resume or make the position sound more military or more important than what it is.

Not to go back to the whole military thing again, however, as far as resumes, etc, go.....you have to make your title known and simplified.  (ie - instead of Control Tower Operator, I usually put Air Traffic Controller, even though that isn't the technical term)...
Capt Chelle L. Anderson, CAP
(CPT, US Army, RET)

Eclipse

Here's what wiki says a JAG is:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Advocate_General%27s_Corps

"...are charged with the defense and prosecution of military law as provided in the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Officers of the Corps are the chief officers of the court-martial and court of inquiry. The Corps also provides service members with a wide range of legal services free of charge, and supports military combat operations by advising commanders on the law of armed conflict..."

Would it really be that much of a stretch to reword it as below for CAP?  Especially if these members attend some sort of formal training as such?

"...are charged with the defense and prosecution of CAP regulations. Officers of the Corps are the chief officers of the Inspector General and court of inquiry. The Corps also provides service members with a wide range of legal services free of charge, and supports Search and Rescue operations by advising commanders on the civil laws related to response and liability..."

So for MARB, IG, and similar situations, CAP appoints JAG officers as both defense and prosecution to insure full transparency and autonomy.  All too often members terminated suffer from a lack of knowledge of the applicable regs in the same way the average rank-and-file member of a combatant service doesn't know the nuances of the UCMJ.

The biggest difference would be the limit of consequences being internal to CAP, though I suppose in situations of gross civil liability or criminal conduct, if the JAGs were lawyers, they could assist and prepare outside prosecutions and lawsuits.

Our legal officers, today, are barred from being IGs by regulation (so I am told by mine).  Assuming any would want the above position, its not that much of a stretch.

"That Others May Zoom"

Always Ready

Quote from: CPT Anderson on January 22, 2009, 02:04:46 PM
^ That's AWESOME!

Now back on topic. What someone puts on LinkedIn and what someone puts on official correspondence are two totally different things. As long as they are not using it on official correspondence, I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over it. While I don't agree with using a different job title on your resume than what CAP generally uses, who's to say that the Wing King (or Queen) didn't create a position with that title. I don't know if that's authorized or not, but seriously who's going to stop them? That individual may have just been trying to fluff their resume or make the position sound more military or more important than what it is.

Not to go back to the whole military thing again, however, as far as resumes, etc, go.....you have to make your title known and simplified.  (ie - instead of Control Tower Operator, I usually put Air Traffic Controller, even though that isn't the technical term)...

Not always...I've seen plenty of former military members use their military job title and then in the description name the civilian equivalent. (And before I start getting flak since I am not in the military...the reason I know this is because I helped edit and critique my father's resume and several of our family friends that are retired military).

On a side note, in one of my annoying introductory college classes that I took last year, we were told NOT to just make up or use a similar job title. Apparently, there are enough people fudging a little bit on their resumes that it is becoming a major problem. If you don't have a document proving that that was your official job title, some companies will tear up your application or turn you in for fraud. I know it is a bit of a scare tactic but I have seen it happen to people.

Back to your thread in progress...

Flying Pig

^Its always been like that, at least in the professional areas I've been involved in.  If your going to put an official title on your resume, you better have documentation to back it up.  Even if its something as simple as an email from a supervisor calling you "Detective" or "Manager".  Especially if your moving within the same profession, the people reviewing your resume will know. Just put whatever you were called without trying to equate it to your new job.  Let the employer ask you, sometimes it opens the door to let you brag about yourself a little more.

Really stray away from fluff.  I dont know how many resumes Ive seen from 21 yr old E-3's where they write "Soley responsible for over $120 million dollars of equipment and explosives, nuclear weapons and the potential destruction of the universe and the lives of 15 crew members and their famlies..yada yada..." when they were a crew chief on a military bomber or something.  When they could have writted "Crew Chief B-1 Bomber-Responsible for the safe operation of....reported directly to the Chief of Maintenance....etc" I use that as a real example....maybe not the destruction of the universe part, but the kid was impressive on his own and he tried to fluff it up so much it made your eyes hurt reading it.  Did he Lie?  Absolutely not, what he said was technically true I guess.....but it was a little over the top.

People know fluff.  And if they dont understand the resume, at least in police work where you have a number of people from various backgrounds, they will find someone to interpret your resume.  Dont look like a fluff monkey!

Al Sayre

Quote from: Eclipse on January 22, 2009, 06:15:41 AM
To bring this thread back to the original topic.

I don't know what their duties would be, posting, etc., but a number of our legal officers are being sent to what is being called by CAP as "Judge Advocate Training" this year.

It's possible that they are working on some VSAF type program that would allow our Legal Officers to assist or replace military JAG Officers in CONUS like the Chaplains currently do.  They would need the additional training to ensure that our Legal Officers are familiar with the nuances of the UCMJ and military law.  I'd suspect that before I believed that CAP was going to have their own JAG Corps, and it seems like a pretty good idea.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RiverAux

Quote from: Pylon on November 17, 2008, 11:43:51 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 17, 2008, 10:48:33 PM
I think at the recent NEC they approved some sort of generic name describing all lawyers in CAP.  I don't quite remember what it was...

Yeah I was looking for minutes or some document to the same effect... I remember some actions related to lawyers in CAP, terminology and structure, etc.   Hmm...
Just wanted to bring up again that CAP has approved a generic name for all CAP lawyers based on my viewing of the meeting where it was done.  Obviously hasn't made it into writing yet. 

RogueLeader

All I know is that CAPR 10-1 Sections A5-1 and A6-1  both use "JA" for Staff Judge Advocate for CAP-USAF and Legal Officer for CAP.  So while JAG is not authorized; it does have a basis for use. 

The conection between JA and JAG, at least to me, is clear and I have no problem with the usage as such- provided there is no attempt to impersonate a Military JAG.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SM-MADDOG

I have what we call a security officer license from the dept of public safety, division of homeland security, on the card it says My State Name im from and Security Guard, but My title is Security Officer, thats what is on my badge, that is My rank officer. Now security guard and security officer are both the same they are private officer's. Same thing with a police officers certification it says Peace Officer but title may be Police Officer, Deputy, Trooper, Agent, etc. Same with security personnel. Also We have a law in our state which refers to security guard, private investigator, as private police officer 2921.51 (2). www.privateofficer.com

So I on my resume and any application I use title security officer.

Quote from: Always Ready on January 22, 2009, 03:00:02 PM
Quote from: CPT Anderson on January 22, 2009, 02:04:46 PM
^ That's AWESOME!

Not always...I've seen plenty of former military members use their military job title and then in the description name the civilian equivalent. (And before I start getting flak since I am not in the military...the reason I know this is because I helped edit and critique my father's resume and several of our family friends that are retired military).

On a side note, in one of my annoying introductory college classes that I took last year, we were told NOT to just make up or use a similar job title. Apparently, there are enough people fudging a little bit on their resumes that it is becoming a major problem. If you don't have a document proving that that was your official job title, some companies will tear up your application or turn you in for fraud. I know it is a bit of a scare tactic but I have seen it happen to people.

Back to your thread in progress...
2nd Lt, CAP