Main Menu

CAP JAG?

Started by Maj Ballard, November 17, 2008, 03:44:46 PM

DNall

Quote from: FlexCoder on November 19, 2008, 07:37:05 AM
Mr. Pig,

Why would we want to copy the 'Army'!  I thought JAG was a TV Show.  

What? Each service has a judge advocate general, and all the attorneys are either judge advocates or military judges. Same in every branch of service.

winterg

We should make a mock TV show about CAP JAG!  Who's in?  >:D

notaNCO forever

I'll be willing to play the "bad guy" I'll steal all the donuts.  :o

jeders

Quote from: winterg on November 21, 2008, 06:59:08 PM

I call being the guy that gets the hot girl  ;D

Quote from: NCO forever on November 21, 2008, 08:19:33 PM
I'll be willing to play the "bad guy" I'll steal all the donuts.  :o

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Those poor doughnuts never had a chance.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

winterg

I get to be the guy that is a GBD, ABD, MP and any other alphabet soup I can think of and go on all the cool missions!

flyerthom

I got Sound Track!

Jeder's theme music will be Every girl's crazy 'bout a Mess Dress man  >:D

The teaser for NCO Forever will be "Time to steal the dougnuts"

Winterg's theme Highway to the FBO

TC

davedove

Quote from: jeders on November 21, 2008, 08:23:35 PM

Hey, if they manage to get Catherine Bell to play the female lead, I'll take any part they want to give me. >:D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

SM-MADDOG

Just depends on what terms the CAP Board came up with. If they approved JAG then fine they can use the term JAG or what ever it is. What about a term Officer, yet a Military Officer is  not a sworn Law Enforcement Officer or Agent. But yet they use the term Officer as do some banks "Loan Officer". 

Quote from: afgeo4 on November 18, 2008, 05:20:53 AM
There is something wrong with "JAG".

We don't have a Judge Advocate General in CAP and we don't have a JAG Corps in CAP.

Just because you're a legal officer, doesn't mean you're JAG. That's a specific term that applies to members of the Judge Advocate General Corps of the US Military. They are specifically military lawyers.

It's about as valid as a CAP medical officer calling himself the CAP Surgeon General.
2nd Lt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: SM-MADDOG on January 20, 2009, 05:49:25 AM
Just depends on what terms the CAP Board came up with. If they approved JAG then fine they can use the term JAG or what ever it is. What about a term Officer, yet a Military Officer is  not a sworn Law Enforcement Officer or Agent. But yet they use the term Officer as do some banks "Loan Officer". 

We don't have a Judge Advocate General in CAP and we don't have a JAG Corps in CAP.

Just because you're a legal officer, doesn't mean you're JAG. That's a specific term that applies to members of the Judge Advocate General Corps of the US Military. They are specifically military lawyers.

It's about as valid as a CAP medical officer calling himself the CAP Surgeon General.

The term "officer" has multiple meanings. Per Merriam-Webster:

1 aobsolete : agent b: one charged with police duties
2: one who holds an office of trust, authority, or command <the officers of the bank> <chief executive officer>
3 a: one who holds a position of authority or command in the armed forces ; specifically : commissioned officer b: the master or any of the mates of a merchant or passenger ship

The term is appropriate for a paramilitary organization. The term "JAG" is not appropriate to CAP, as we have no such position or officer in CAP. Those using it are wrong to do so. And as has been pointed out, CAP has not "approved" it.

SM-MADDOG

I agree I dont care for a term JAG, but what ever if the National Staff says its JAG then its JAG, You know how they change stuff over night lol. But what im saying is that term Officer, remember our last General said that a Member with rank of SM could tell people they were an Officer which they are because Cadet Ranks then SM is above all Cadets by Grade. Yet if You told someone Im an Officer they would probably think something different, but thats what I ment by terms. Im not an SM anymore though so I kinda wish they would change the rank term for that. Im a 2nd Lt not, My squadron commander does not promote people to 2Lt after 6 months He waits a while and wants people to earn more. I got 2Lt 3 weeks ago.

Now here is an idea question. What rank/term should a SM be. I think they should change it. Maybe Make getting promoted to 2Lt after a yr. And when You first join You would be SM for so long then another rank before 2Lt.

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 20, 2009, 06:51:54 AM
Quote from: SM-MADDOG on January 20, 2009, 05:49:25 AM

The term "officer" has multiple meanings. Per Merriam-Webster:

1 aobsolete : agent b: one charged with police duties
2: one who holds an office of trust, authority, or command <the officers of the bank> <chief executive officer>
3 a: one who holds a position of authority or command in the armed forces ; specifically : commissioned officer b: the master or any of the mates of a merchant or passenger ship

The term is appropriate for a paramilitary organization. The term "JAG" is not appropriate to CAP, as we have no such position or officer in CAP. Those using it are wrong to do so. And as has been pointed out, CAP has not "approved" it.
2nd Lt, CAP

JayT

That post was almost impossible to read, but what's wrong with SM again?

Also, 'Officer' was never an offical term, it was how CAP SM's were suppose to be indentifed in external publications.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Hawk200

Quote from: SM-MADDOG on January 22, 2009, 03:16:43 AM
....but what ever if the National Staff says its JAG then its JAG,...

That's the issue. The National Staff does not say it's "JAG", and (to my knowledge) has never said it's "JAG". Therefore, using the term is wrong. There are people that try to use military terminology that does not apply to CAP. An example of similar misrepresentation would be the highest medical officer in CAP calling themself the "CAP Surgeon General". The term does not apply.

Any terminology not approved or utilized by CAP is incorrect. At best, it's a mistake, at worst, it's intentional misrepresentation (or lying, depending on which term you prefer to use).  We have enough people that deliberately misrepresent themselves as CAP, we don't need any more. If CAP doesn't have it in their pubs, you don't use the terms.

Second, Senior Members are now termed officers. No, it's not a commisioned military officer, it's not a bank officer, it's not a police officer, but it is still called "Officer". It implies a granted trust, an authority, and given responsibility. It's appropriate. It needs to be taken seriously. We're not commisioned military officers, but it doesn't matter. Each "officer" of Civil Air Patrol needs to hold themself to a high standard. The trust given shouldn't be diminished by saying "Well, I'm not a real officer..."

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 22, 2009, 05:45:22 AM
Second, Senior Members are now termed officers. No, it's not a commisioned military officer, it's not a bank officer, it's not a police officer, but it is still called "Officer". It implies a granted trust, an authority, and given responsibility. It's appropriate. It needs to be taken seriously. We're not commisioned military officers, but it doesn't matter. Each "officer" of Civil Air Patrol needs to hold themself to a high standard. The trust given shouldn't be diminished by saying "Well, I'm not a real officer..."

No, they are not.

The use of the term "Officer" as a generic replacement for "Senior Member" was derived from a suggestion made by HWSRN, it was never used officially in any regulation, nor adopted by NHQ.

It was, however, officially disavowed during the same meetings that rescinded the use of "U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL".

"That Others May Zoom"

CPT Anderson

Quote from: FlexCoder on November 19, 2008, 07:37:05 AM
Mr. Pig,

Why would we want to copy the 'Army'!  I thought JAG was a TV Show.   

What's wrong with the Army?  I've been to Iraq twice to protect your freedom as part of the Army, what have you done?   >:D                 JAG the TV show was Navy.
Capt Chelle L. Anderson, CAP
(CPT, US Army, RET)

CPT Anderson

Quote from: davedove on December 08, 2008, 08:03:50 PM
Quote from: jeders on November 21, 2008, 08:23:35 PM

Hey, if they manage to get Catherine Bell to play the female lead, I'll take any part they want to give me. >:D

Hey now...what about us females in here?  Sexist?  Hmmmmmmmm......maybe I could be the hot girl!   >:D
(CPT, US Army, RET)

Eclipse

To bring this thread back to the original topic.

I don't know what their duties would be, posting, etc., but a number of our legal officers are being sent to what is being called by CAP as "Judge Advocate Training" this year.

"That Others May Zoom"

SM-MADDOG

You are both correct, and no its doesnt mean the CAP Officer is a fake Officer LOL. But terms is what I was saying. Does anyone really want CAP to call it JAG though? What ever its called now seems to be working and that good old saying they have "if it aint broke dont fix it" lol.

Quote from: Eclipse on January 22, 2009, 05:53:44 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on January 22, 2009, 05:45:22 AM

No, they are not.

The use of the term "Officer" as a generic replacement for "Senior Member" was derived from a suggestion made by HWSRN, it was never used officially in any regulation, nor adopted by NHQ.

It was, however, officially disavowed during the same meetings that rescinded the use of "U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL".

2nd Lt, CAP

SJFedor

Just for all the people talking about making a TV show out of this...

Questions?

>:D

(sorry, kinda sarcastic this morning)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Always Ready

^ That's AWESOME!

Now back on topic. What someone puts on LinkedIn and what someone puts on official correspondence are two totally different things. As long as they are not using it on official correspondence, I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over it. While I don't agree with using a different job title on your resume than what CAP generally uses, who's to say that the Wing King (or Queen) didn't create a position with that title. I don't know if that's authorized or not, but seriously who's going to stop them? That individual may have just been trying to fluff their resume or make the position sound more military or more important than what it is.

CPT Anderson

Quote from: SJFedor on January 22, 2009, 01:03:30 PM
Just for all the people talking about making a TV show out of this...

Questions?

>:D

(sorry, kinda sarcastic this morning)

:clap:
(CPT, US Army, RET)