Generic name for CAP members?

Started by RiverAux, November 15, 2008, 03:46:30 AM

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: afgeo4 on November 18, 2008, 05:48:13 AM
I really like Volunteer Airmen.

It works well as part of Air Force's Total Force concept.

Airmen, Citizen Airmen and Volunteer Airmen

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night. Try the veal.

Oh, and those royalty checks? Send them to....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: NCO forever on November 18, 2008, 03:09:33 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 18, 2008, 02:04:43 AM
Something that has always irritated me is the use of cap (as a spoken word, AKA hat) instead of spelling it out C A P. CAPer just doesn't make it. UGH!

I hate that to drives me crazy especially when it's someone with higher grade then me and I can't say  anything.

Of course you can say something, as long as you are polite and professional.  Grade doesn't make people "right", especially in CAP.

We're the C.A.P. not "CAP".

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: afgeo4 on November 18, 2008, 05:48:13 AM
I really like Volunteer Airmen.

It works well as part of Air Force's Total Force concept.

Airmen, Citizen Airmen and Volunteer Airmen
Well, that sort of works as a descriptive name for marketing purposes, but isn't really what I was shooting for.  No one in the AFR is going around telling people they're "citizen airmen". 

Rob Sherlin

If people want to use the term "Airmen" but "Citizen Airmen" is allready taken, why not use "Civil Airmen"
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

BuckeyeDEJ

I'd like to think we're all civil. I'd hate to work alongside Hostile Airmen.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Rob Sherlin

I was just thinking in terms of the name Civil Air Patrol. Of course we're civil. We're not the Hostile Air Patrol (for some reason, I get an image of a Cessna armed with missles....haha ha)
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

BillB

The Cessna L-19 WAS armed with rockets for target marking
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

afgeo4

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 19, 2008, 02:34:33 AM
I'll second that. That's why I worked in AMC, not ACC. Those fighter pilots get hostile often.
GEORGE LURYE

winterg

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2008, 12:27:50 AM
Quote from: NCO forever on November 18, 2008, 03:09:33 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 18, 2008, 02:04:43 AM
Something that has always irritated me is the use of cap (as a spoken word, AKA hat) instead of spelling it out C A P. CAPer just doesn't make it. UGH!
I hate that to drives me crazy especially when it's someone with higher grade then me and I can't say  anything.
Of course you can say something, as long as you are polite and professional.  Grade doesn't make people "right", especially in CAP.  We're the C.A.P. not "CAP".

I use "CAP" and "CAPer" all the time and will, more than likely, continue using this verbage.  I heard it bandied about by Senior Members when I was kaydet and use the term myself today. LOL

winterg

flyerthom

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on November 19, 2008, 03:00:30 AM
I was just thinking in terms of the name Civil Air Patrol. Of course we're civil. We're not the Hostile Air Patrol (for some reason, I get an image of a Cessna armed with missles....haha ha)

Saw  a picture of a guy who painted a length of septic drain pipe black. Slipped it over a length of regular black pipe so it looked like a .30 Browning barrel. He then duct taped it to the wing of his 172. Caption - "STC? I don't need no stinkin STC!"
TC

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: afgeo4 on November 19, 2008, 04:14:25 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 19, 2008, 02:34:33 AM
I'll second that. That's why I worked in AMC, not ACC. Those fighter pilots get hostile often.

Bob Loblaw Law Blog

Quote from: Dictionary.comair⋅man
   /ˈɛərmən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [air-muhn] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -men.
1.    an aviator.
2.    U.S. Air Force. an enlisted person of one of the three lowest ranks (airman basic, airman, airman first class).
3.    a member of a military aircrew.
4.    (in other countries) an enlisted person in the air force.
Origin:
1870–75, for an earlier sense; air 1 + -man, on the model of seaman

Those of you that are in the USAF, Active, Guard, or Reserve are Airmen. Those of you that fly, according to this, could be airmen but "pilot" seems a little better fitting. People that are solely C.A.P. Members are not part of the Armed Forces and are not  required to fight wars on this country's behalf. Search and Rescue missions, scouting out domestic areas, and whatever else aren't military actions. Member, CAPper, Cadet, Volunteer, Auxie, Auxilarist, and a few others fit just fine. Members of state militias aren't Marines or Soldiers, they're militiamen. They are different from anything that they might be connected to. It's not the same and their name reflects that difference.

LtCol057

Funny, but I was reading the Army Times tonight and this issue has come up with the Army Reserves too.  Some of the reservists don't like the word "reservists". They want to be called Reserve Soldier.   

But I have to agree on one thing. I hate hearing it called CAP (like the headgear). It's C.A.P. 

I had an instructor at the Police Academy that said he hated to be called a cop. He said he'd almost rather be called a pig than a cop. He felt the word "cop" was demeaning.  I told him if "cop" was the worst thing he was called, he was lucky. I got called worse than that by my own family.

Cecil DP

Quote from: LtCol057 on November 20, 2008, 04:30:14 AM
Funny, but I was reading the Army Times tonight and this issue has come up with the Army Reserves too.  Some of the reservists don't like the word "reservists". They want to be called Reserve Soldier.   

The Navy got rid of Navy Reserve several years ago. The proper term now is "Reserve of the Navy"
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 20, 2008, 04:38:43 AM
Quote from: LtCol057 on November 20, 2008, 04:30:14 AM

The Navy got rid of Navy Reserve several years ago. The proper term now is "Reserve of the Navy"

That's funny - here's the official site, and I see no mention of that terminology. I still have an outside association through former shipmates of my sweetie, and none of them have mentioned any such thing. Where did you hear it?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret