Did anyone attend squadron meetings at a Nike Missile site?

Started by ascorbate, November 14, 2008, 02:13:38 AM

Cecil DP

QuoteMajor Mark Gallant, was my unit commander.

I think Mark made LtCol in the late 90's
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Larry Mangum

I was part of the wing then, but on wing staff, when Mark made Lt Col. Jackie Jones, replaced him as Squadron CC, and is now at Wing I believe.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Cecil DP

I remember Jackie, She was a Captain forever. Glad to hear she made LtCol. When did you serve at MAWG HQ??
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Larry Mangum

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Cecil DP

Quote from: Who_knows? on November 19, 2008, 05:51:38 PM
1998 -1999, then moved to Washington state.

1990-1999 Dp under Ed Raymond, Tom DiMilla, Dave Belcher (acting), Eric Schollman
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 19, 2008, 07:33:11 PM

1990-1999 Dp under Ed Raymond, Tom DiMilla, Dave Belcher (acting), Eric Schollman

Eric Schollman was wing commander when I joined wing staff. I was a supply officer working for Lt Col Bill Meskill.  Personnel huh, You would have processed my promotion to Captain.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Slim

Quote from: Lt Domke on November 18, 2008, 06:48:51 PM
I did my OCS as a cadet at a retired Nike site just outside Detroit back around '84. It was pretty cool, the silos were still there but secured. We used the building for barracks, classrooms and meals. It seemed like it was being upkept by someone for CAP's use. Too long ago to remember it all. I do have some pics in case anyone's interested, but they are mostly of people doing things since I was also there as an Asst. Wing PAO.

That would most likely be Camp Pelletier (D-87), that Nin and I were talking about.

Did you do your cadet time in MIWG?

Slim

Cecil DP

Quote from: Who_knows? on November 20, 2008, 01:01:18 AM
Quote from: Cecil DP on November 19, 2008, 07:33:11 PM

Eric Schollman was wing commander when I joined wing staff. I was a supply officer working for Lt Col Bill Meskill.  Personnel huh, You would have processed my promotion to Captain.

I probably did. I also initiated Bill's waiver to LtCol under Special Promotions.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

tribalelder

Attended a 'Type B' Encampment conducted on a commuter basis in Orland Park, IL on a closed Nike site in 1970.  A Squadron in our group met there for several years.  The wing supply guys had use of the garage building.  I think there is a shopping center there now.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

majdomke

Quote from: Slim on November 20, 2008, 04:32:37 AM
Quote from: Lt Domke on November 18, 2008, 06:48:51 PM
I did my OCS as a cadet at a retired Nike site just outside Detroit back around '84. It was pretty cool, the silos were still there but secured. We used the building for barracks, classrooms and meals. It seemed like it was being upkept by someone for CAP's use. Too long ago to remember it all. I do have some pics in case anyone's interested, but they are mostly of people doing things since I was also there as an Asst. Wing PAO.

That would most likely be Camp Pelletier (D-87), that Nin and I were talking about.

Did you do your cadet time in MIWG?
Yes sir, on both accounts. Thanks for remembering the name of it, rings a bell now. I even have some decent pics of the OCS I went to there. Spent about 4 yrs at Cherry Hill Composite Squadron in Inkster, and then a combined two years at Dearborn Composite Squadron. I started at Dearborn but they dissolved after my first year. When they reformed four years later, they asked me back to be their C/CC. Totally different folks running the show when I came back, no idea where anyone else disappeared to. Did my encampment in '84 at Phelps-Collins ANG Base. Worked at Wing HQ as asst PAO '84-85 at the old psychiatric hospital, Eloise, in Wayne.

Slim

Quote from: Lt Domke on February 18, 2009, 10:13:34 PMYes sir, on both accounts. Thanks for remembering the name of it, rings a bell now. I even have some decent pics of the OCS I went to there. Spent about 4 yrs at Cherry Hill Composite Squadron in Inkster, and then a combined two years at Dearborn Composite Squadron. I started at Dearborn but they dissolved after my first year. When they reformed four years later, they asked me back to be their C/CC. Totally different folks running the show when I came back, no idea where anyone else disappeared to. Did my encampment in '84 at Phelps-Collins ANG Base. Worked at Wing HQ as asst PAO '84-85 at the old psychiatric hospital, Eloise, in Wayne.

Ok, your name is starting to set off some bells in my head.

Basic encampment at P-CANGB in '84?  What flight (if you remember)?  I was in Delta.

Did my cadet time at Oakland Composite Squadron, was on the first place GT at GLR SARComp '85, worked both flight 255 and the Papal support mission at Metro in '87, and turned senior early that December.  Wing HQ was still at Eloise (man, that was a creepy building) until about 89 or 90.  After I turned senior, I spent a few years on wing staff in logistics and comm.  Then went out to Macomb county, where I was a member and last commander of the Utica-Sterling Cadet squadron.  Been with South Oakland for almost 11 years now.

Think I said it earlier, but I remember when D-87/Camp Pelletier was still active (closed down in 1974); I grew up in that area.  The old camp is still there, the state DNR has control of it, but I'm not sure what they use it for anymore.

Slim

majdomke

I'm pretty sure I was in Delta as well... I have the old yearbook still, it's up at the squadron. I'll take a look this Saturday and get back to you. I remember one year we had a Halloween party for the group at Eloise using an empty floor below wing HQ. Now that was creepy. I snuck off and explored the building. They still had gurneys in the basement with wrist and ankle straps on them. I swear I could hear screaming too. Would have been an excellent place to send Ghost Hunters from TV. They were just out here at the USS Hornet and it was a very spooky episode. My cadets and I were just there last year and a couple of my cadets swore they hear stuff. I'm going to show them the episode before we go back again... see if they still want to spend the night.

majdomke

Chris,

What an amazing thing Cap Talk is... after nearly 25 years I've found an old classmate from my encampment. I looked over the encampment yearbook and there your name was just three over from me. I have no idea which one you are because its not in order. Let me know if you'd like me to scan it. It really brings back memories of fun times in MIWG. PM me and tell me what you've been up to.