Main Menu

Vanguard quality

Started by O-Rex, October 20, 2008, 01:53:16 PM

O-Rex

I just got my order from Vanguard for rank insignia.

Upside: I got my order in two weeks, and it was complete.

HOWEVER, the plastic-encased rank looks horrible, and even the sew-on rank looks a bit "off."

What's up?  Anyone have similar experiences?

notaNCO forever

I don't believe it's possible to get good plastic encased rank. Anything I've gotten from vanguard is decent quality.

DC

The sew on rank I got from them looks fine, the shade is good...

I did order a Service Cap device from them once, and part of the device was painted black, when it should have been nickel..  ???

Hoorah

:)try thehock.com they are a good site and less expensive i just put a order in tonight .

Hoorah

i read a product detail on a a wing patch and it said it bleeds if you get it wet. >:(

Pylon

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on November 17, 2008, 11:24:12 PM
i read a product detail on a a wing patch and it said it bleeds if you get it wet. >:(

Doubt it; may just be a pre-cautionary thing.  I have some Hock patches that have gone through the wash; the color stayed fast.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DC

Quote from: DC on October 20, 2008, 05:48:03 PM

I did order a Service Cap device from them once, and part of the device was painted black, when it should have been nickel..  ???
An update on this, I emailed Vanguard and got to the CAP Vanguard Liason person, who talked to Susie Parker, who says the black star field is correct...

WTF? I have never seen one like that before, even the pictures in 39-1 aren't like that...

I have worn patches from both Vanguard and the Hock Shop and none of them have ever bled...

And watch out for the Hock Shop, they are cheaper, but the quality is usually inferior, and their service has sucked big time lately...

O-Rex

Soak it overnight in a sealed jar of methyl-ethyl ketone (MEK,) available at most hardware stores.  When done, it looks like "sta-brite" insignia.  Do it outside: the stuff is evil!

Authorized? who cares: 39-1 Nazis, be gone!

The Hock sells them in shiny silver, it looks sharp.

AvroArrow

Quote from: DC on November 17, 2008, 11:49:51 PM

An update on this, I emailed Vanguard and got to the CAP Vanguard Liason person, who talked to Susie Parker, who says the black star field is correct...

WTF? I have never seen one like that before, even the pictures in 39-1 aren't like that...

I have worn patches from both Vanguard and the Hock Shop and none of them have ever bled...

And watch out for the Hock Shop, they are cheaper, but the quality is usually inferior, and their service has sucked big time lately...

All the items I have received from Hock are always decent or better quality. I ordered a service uniform from Vanguard a year ago; not only did I get the SU 3-4 weeks after ordering, but it was in ruins... the epaulettes were uber-torn and the whole shirt was unspeakably discolored with some kind of brownish tint that would not go away even after 3-4 washes. Never happened with the Hock, so I don't the think the postal service is to be blamed, to be honest.

Oh well. I've heard Vanguard tends to have good results with east and west coast wings whereas Hock as good results with anyone in between. Just a rumor, though ;)

Timbo

Quote from: AvroArrow on November 25, 2008, 01:56:38 AM
.. the epaulets were uber-torn and the whole shirt was unspeakably discolored with some kind of brownish tint that would not go away even after 3-4 washes. Never happened with the Hock, so I don't the think the postal service is to be blamed, to be honest.

Actually it does sound like the shipping service did the damage.  I seriously doubt Vanguard would package an item at the cost of a uniform so it can just come back to them. 

Eclipse

Quote from: O-Rex on November 24, 2008, 04:42:50 PM
The Hock sells them in shiny silver, it looks sharp.

Um, no - they look bizarre.  They are supposed to be antique silver, not mirror finish.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: AvroArrow on November 25, 2008, 01:56:38 AM
All the items I have received from Hock are always decent or better quality. I ordered a service uniform from Vanguard a year ago; not only did I get the SU 3-4 weeks after ordering, but it was in ruins... the epaulettes were uber-torn and the whole shirt was unspeakably discolored with some kind of brownish tint that would not go away even after 3-4 washes. Never happened with the Hock, so I don't the think the postal service is to be blamed, to be honest.

Oh well. I've heard Vanguard tends to have good results with east and west coast wings whereas Hock as good results with anyone in between. Just a rumor, though ;)

That had to be shipping damage, why didn't you just return it? 

Anything the Hock sells which is actual mil-spec, like the service dress items, are going to be the exact same thing no matter where you buy it, but why anyone would buy new service dress items from anywhere but AAFES is beyond me.

Their BDU's, for example, are apparently not mil-spec, because the colors are too vibrant and the patterns are different. Its very clear when you compare them sided by side.

As to other quality, you must not have gotten ribbons or metal insignia - wrong colors, poor detail, etc.

Everything I've bought in the last year from VG has been fine as far as quality goes, the only issue I have is the epaulet sleeves which are a different material and stitching from the CAPMart days and look a little cheesy compared side-by-side.

"That Others May Zoom"

winterg

For things like GT badges and such, I always use Hock.  The emblems are so much more crisp and clean and I like the material better.

As for other items from the HOCK, my squadron ordered several of thier basic GT sets.  All of the web gear were cheap knockoffs from China.  It works alright but you can tell it is not going to last.  Not to mention I'm not a fan of the camo pattern instead of the standard OD green.

FlexCoder

Vanguard is an insignia manufacturer not a uniforms & gear maker.    Profit seems to be more of what they focus on, then what Vanguard used to represent - high quality, American made products.   It is about survival and being able to compete with overseas low pricing.  Vanguard should at least give us an option, USA or import.  A lot of there insignia & patches are from China too.  I can't imagine wearing a medal earned in the USA but made in China.  Absolutely unacceptable! 

Winterg to make up for Vanguard's inferior junk, if you need any military gear/uniforms, genuine issue or brands for your squadron, let me know, I will get you anything you need for your squadron at manufacturer cost and shipped directly to you.   Net cost is 50-60% below retail pricing depending on what brands you want and beats Vanguard by a mile plus it is all genuine, brand gear or uniforms.    I not only do an extensive amount of business but also have good personal relationships with most of the top military manufacturers and brands in the world.   No profit on my end whatsoever.   

James Shaw

Received my order from Vanguard. All items as ordered. Package was well wrapped. New Achievement Medal and Ribbon look great. There stock just went up with me!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Stonewall

I haven't ordered anything in a year, but I have recieved a package from them in the last 6 months.  Why?  Because it took them 6 months to get me something.  I obviously didn't need it because I was surprised to see a Vanguard package arrive.

Everything from their customer service to their accuracy in orders has disappointed me time and time again.  I have had personal correspondence with staff and they blew me off left and right.  And I was trying to make them more money.
Serving since 1987.

JohnKachenmeister

I ordered my IC3 badge a while back, and it looks like really cheap tin compared to the wings I ordered a few years ago.
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 29, 2008, 03:51:23 PM
I ordered my IC3 badge a while back, and it looks like really cheap tin compared to the wings I ordered a few years ago.

I find that a little disturbing. I bought one when they were first available, and it was a pretty high quality badge, nicely detailed, and well plated. To hear that they don't look as good now bothers me. Why the lower quality now?

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 29, 2008, 03:51:23 PM

Specifically how far back?  You may have gotten an early run (which doesn't excuse low quality, but might explain it).

The glod-plated oaks I bought last week at the Nex were from VG, and beautiful, as was nearly everything else on the shelf, though I suppose you could make the argument we're not getting the attention the active services get, if only because of quantity.

I'd be willing to bet they've sold less than 50-100 of those IC badges total.  We don't have that many IC's to start, and the subset that keeps up on uniform changes is even lower.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Just received my latest order from VG...

Placed online, Saturday 22 Nov.

Order included a service jacket and a custom nametag (23 items total).

Shipped for free via UPS, all items 100% correct, order shipped complete, including the nametag.

10 days total, including shipping.

Not bad considering this crossed a holiday week.

"That Others May Zoom"