flying CAP Aircraft

Started by flyguy06, February 10, 2006, 12:59:37 PM

flyguy06

I knew a Senior Member who after his Private Pilot's lisence got all his other ratings through CAP and built ime and is now an airline pilot for a Regional airline. I think thats great. I have a commercial ticket and I want to build my time and experience in CAP as well.

gussey

Yeah, I have heard of CAP members before my time, flying to get an additional rating or license. I know that New York Wing has a supplement that clearly says that a member must contribute to CAP before being able to use the Wing's aircraft for an additional rating or license. Check it out at http://www.nywg.cap.gov/NYWGSUP1CAPR60-1Jul03.pdf.

In other wings I know that this not always the case. What is it like out there? Is anyone building time? Working on an instrument ticket? I am curious.  :)
Capt Grant W. Sussey
Stan / Eval Officer
CNY Group

flyguy06

And I agree with that WIng. You are about to get my soap box.

That is the biggest complaint I have with a lot of Senior Member pilots in my unit. They join just to buld time to further their aviation careers. I have been in CAP since I was 15 years old. It is true that I want to be a profesional pilot but thats not why I joined CAP. I joined to motivate kids in my community about careers in aviation and try to get them flying. My own personal flying is actually done outside of CAP because its a lot of hassle to get a CAP plane around here. But please dont join CAP just to fly. I think you should also contribute to the mission.Its worth it.

lordmonar

You have to remember that there are three mission in cap.

Cadet Programs, Emergency Service, and Aerospace Education.

Not everyone has the same interests as everyone else.  That is why we still have Senior Squadrons and Cadet Squadrons.

Even in the ES world there are different specializations.

If someone in CAP joins for the free flying......go for it.  I have not problem with that so long as he/she contributes to getting the mission done.  That of course is a call the squadron commanders have to make.

If you got a guy who is signing out the CAP plane for training time but never responds to any missions or does not seem to have the time to fly in O-rides then it is time to have a talk with him.

If that same pilot is doing ES missions but does not want anything to do with the cadets...I got no problem with that at all.

My Comm officer told me strait up, he just wanted to do comm and not deal with the cadets.  I was okay with that.  He took care of our computers and radios and nothing else.  He did a good job and incidental made may job to run the cadet program easier for it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on March 31, 2006, 07:05:31 AM
If someone in CAP joins for the free flying......go for it.  I have not problem with that so long as he/she contributes to getting the mission done.  That of course is a call the squadron commanders have to make.

If you got a guy who is signing out the CAP plane for training time but never responds to any missions or does not seem to have the time to fly in O-rides then it is time to have a talk with him.
That is why the COWG/CC has degreed that pilot promotions are no longer automatic (I know, officially they never were, but every pilot who joined was promoted as soon as the completed Level I), and the pilot needs to contributing to the unit before being considered for promotion. I think extended that to other 'automatic' promotions, but I'm not sure.