what kind of pilot are we???????

Started by flyguy06, January 03, 2006, 02:05:39 PM

flyguy06

I was talking to some freinds he other day about this topic and I wanted to gage some opinions about CAP pilots and our role in General Aviation.

Now, I am trying to sound as if CAP pilots are the best thing since sliced bread, however, our mission is to search for missing and downed aircraft by using aircraft. We also teach aviation and aerosapce in our communities. As leaders and stewarts in the overall aviation community, shouldnt we be the best general avation pilots out there? I guess, as a leader, I have always followed the principal to set the example because I know that people are looking at me waiting for me to fall on my face. . So, shouldnt we as CAP pilots always adhere to FAR's such as making sue we dont fly with less than 30 mins fuel, do not enter airspace without ATC permission, do a proper and thourough preflight without skipping items because we have done it so many times. Shouldnt we be the ones leading the way in flying near perfect patterns, checking weather before each flight and filing a flight "each" time we fly wheather VFR or IFR or on a cross country or just in the pattern?
Again, I am not suggesting that we are Gods gift to aviation. Of course we are going to make mistakes.  but we are out in the public eye and they expect us to have a certain amount of knowledge and discipline about things and when we fall short of that either on purpose or through human nature the general pubic doesnt see us individually. They see the entire organization. Then you hear comments like "Those wanna be military pilots" or who do they think they are"
I am just sayng that we as CAP pilots should try and do things right everytime we fly because weather we like it or not as with most leaders, we are being watched and judged by the public everytime we wear the uniform or step into that red white and b lue cessna.

Pace

File a flight plan to shoot holes in the pattern?  Are you being serious or just trying to illustrate a point here?

EDIT: When my mouth stops bleeding from the bone the oral surgeon ripped out of my mouth 30 minutes ago, I'll try to post a little more.
Lt Col, CAP

flyguy06

I was illustrating a point, but its not like its a bad idea to do that. It keeps you in practice especially if you are operating from an uncontrolled field. Filling never hurt anything

Eclipse

Yes, we should SET the example, not BE the example.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

[sarcasm]Yes but i also know pilots are so well known for how infrequently they forget to close flight plans.[/sarcasm]  If I filed every time, I know I'd forget at least once a year and get fined $500.  I think that money is better spent elsewhere personally.
-AGI/IGI/Priv/Ins (just starting on my Comm.)
Lt Col, CAP

groundpounder

Quote from: dcpacemaker on January 03, 2006, 07:36:08 PM
[sarcasm]Yes but i also know pilots are so well known for how infrequently they forget to close flight plans.[/sarcasm]  If I filed every time, I know I'd forget at least once a year and get fined $500.  I think that money is better spent elsewhere personally.
-AGI/IGI/Priv/Ins (just starting on my Comm.)

I was under the impression that there was not a penalty for not closing flight plans?? I was always told that they don't want to discourage pilots from filing plans.

Whats up??

Eclipse

I'm not a pilot, but I know an open flight plan is one way to get CAP out looking for you!

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2006, 07:31:59 PM
I'm not a pilot, but I know an open flight plan is one way to get CAP out looking for you!

Yes it is.  Try coming to National Blue Beret (EAA Air Venture in Oshkosh, WI) sometime.  Of the 52 finds we had last year, I think only around 16 were ELTs.  The rest were "overdue aircraft" that forgot to close their flight plans.
Lt Col, CAP