Vanguard records compromised

Started by cferron, July 07, 2008, 07:25:46 PM

flyguync

One orf my Fmr cadets mother was charged and convicted with CC fraud & Idenity Theft,and here is her sentence -

three months of home detention, 25 hours of community service and five years of probation following her conviction on a charge of identity theft related credit card fraud and was also sentenced to pay $7,500.00 in restitution.

desertengineer1

Quote from: flyguync on July 08, 2008, 07:55:48 PM
One orf my Fmr cadets mother was charged and convicted with CC fraud & Idenity Theft,and here is her sentence -

three months of home detention, 25 hours of community service and five years of probation following her conviction on a charge of identity theft related credit card fraud and was also sentenced to pay $7,500.00 in restitution.

And she will never get a job beyond minimum wage - ever...

desertengineer1

I'm still confused as to the validity of that link.  For now, I'm pressing with the instruction from Vanguard not to trust anything other than vanguardmil.com.  They need to be very specific and accurate on the instructions.

Quote from: Eclipse on July 08, 2008, 07:17:31 PM
Quote from: desertengineer1 on July 08, 2008, 01:15:29 AM
The current HTML page as of 8 PM CST for login is nolinkhttps://toad.he.net/~vgaurd/store/index.php. (DO NOT GO TO HIS LINK!!!)

Well that's just great, I though you meant not to not go to the link!
I now have a temporal anomaly in the middle of my living room asking me for my mother's maiden name! 

Thanks a lot!   >:(

Eclipse

Quote from: desertengineer1 on July 08, 2008, 08:03:50 PM
I'm still confused as to the validity of that link.  For now, I'm pressing with the instruction from Vanguard not to trust anything other than vanguardmil.com.  They need to be very specific and accurate on the instructions.

Quote from: Eclipse on July 08, 2008, 07:17:31 PM
Quote from: desertengineer1 on July 08, 2008, 01:15:29 AM
The current HTML page as of 8 PM CST for login is nolinkhttps://toad.he.net/~vgaurd/store/index.php. (DO NOT GO TO HIS LINK!!!)

Well that's just great, I though you meant not to not go to the link!
I now have a temporal anomaly in the middle of my living room asking me for my mother's maiden name! 

Thanks a lot!   >:(

The vgmil.net link appeared to be a hijacked "sound-alike" domain that was used for the attack and has now been taken over by VG.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: dhon27 on July 08, 2008, 07:05:32 PM
NJWG was forwarded an email yesterday from NER/CC and NJ/CC referencing the Vanguard situation and also referencing recent improprieties by a CAP member in applying for credit cards using CAP members' names, DOB and SSN's taken from MSA's.  From the email, it is not clear if the credit card matter is related to the Vanguard situation.  The email further references the Vanguard matter as relating to CTWG. 

MSA's should only include the last 4 digits.  Most bases and related resources we have to provide that info to have adjusted their requirements.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Quote from: Eclipse on July 08, 2008, 08:08:28 PM
MSA's should only include the last 4 digits.  Most bases and related resources we have to provide that info to have adjusted their requirements.

I don't even like giving the last four digits out.  Have you noticed ho many retailers and businesses ask for the last four of your soc?? 

Hell.....in a year Gov't ID cards won't even have the Social printed on them, CAP made good strides giving us all ID numbers instead of using our SOC SEC NUMBs....but that needs to keep going.  There is NO REASON for the military to have access to any part of the CAP members social, not even for an MSA!  What are they using it for other than tracking purposes, and then they can easily use the CAPID # anyway.

What's up monkeys?

Ned

In one of those "only on CAP-Talk" coincidences, the NB will take up a recommendation to eliminate SSNs from TAs and MSAs at the August meeting.  At this point, it appears that the requirement for the SSN on those documents is a USAF thing.  However, there is reason to believe that the USAF will accomodate our request and eliminate the requirement.

Once the agenda becomes public, review the item and advise your NB member appropriately.

(I predict it will pass easily.)

Ned Lee

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on July 08, 2008, 08:30:46 PM
In one of those "only on CAP-Talk" coincidences, the NB will take up a recommendation to eliminate SSNs from TAs and MSAs at the August meeting.  At this point, it appears that the requirement for the SSN on those documents is a USAF thing.  However, there is reason to believe that the USAF will accommodate our request and eliminate the requirement.

That's fine for CAP & the USAF, but many of us operate on bases of other services, and the 4-digits on the MSA is required for base access.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyguync

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguync on July 08, 2008, 09:31:26 PM
Military Support Authorization

Generally a letter, form, etc., depending on the venue, that the State Director writes authorizing or requesting use of a military facility or resource.

In our case, the request must include a complete list of participants in advance, including parents, etc , (for graduation), which contains full name, grade, CAP ID, last 4 SSN, home city and home unit (info filled in as applicable).

It'll usually contain verbiage referencing AFI-2701, as well as general information on providing emergency medical care and "Space-A" services.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Quote from: Eclipse on July 08, 2008, 09:57:33 PM
Quote from: flyguync on July 08, 2008, 09:31:26 PM
Military Support Authorization
In our case, the request must include a complete list of participants in advance, including parents, etc , (for graduation), which contains full name, grade, CAP ID, last 4 SSN, home city and home unit (info filled in as applicable).

Since the AF does not (and should not) have any CAP members Social, why do they even request the last four?  How are they to use that info.........Social Security Cards are not supposed to be accepted by federal agencies for identification since 2001.  All that is needed is the CAPID, Name and address.  If you want to add rank or grade, fine.....but not required.  Overachieving Security force/patrol/unit commander at your installation perhaps??

Less risk of Id theft is the best bet. 

Seriously, I could give them 1,2,3,4 for the last four of my Social and no one would be any wiser......I think. 
What's up monkeys?

CFI_Ed

Hmm - all the MSA's we've generated in the OK Wing in the last year or so have only used the CAP ID. 
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

MIKE

Drift warning.  Alter course immediately.
Mike Johnston

SAR-EMT1

I dunno Mike, I see the drift as related to the intent of the thread: protection of personal information.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 08, 2008, 10:50:54 PM
Since the AF does not (and should not) have any CAP members Social, why do they even request the last four?  How are they to use that info.........Social Security Cards are not supposed to be accepted by federal agencies for identification since 2001.  All that is needed is the CAPID, Name and address.  If you want to add rank or grade, fine.....but not required.  Overachieving Security force/patrol/unit commander at your installation perhaps??

Less risk of Id theft is the best bet. 

Seriously, I could give them 1,2,3,4 for the last four of my Social and no one would be any wiser......I think. 

This is not a USAF request, but a base security request, can't say for sure whether its over zealous or not, but I suspect its the same SOP for civilians who come on base for BMT graduations.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

^ Still don't understand how the last 4 of a social will help identify people coming on base.  Unless they use it to track how many times you actually come on base, but they could do that by way of drivers license number.  I have never been to any installation where I was asked to show my Social Security Card. 

Weird.

Anyway.......I ordered from Vanguard today (I had too, my Cadets are idiots), but used a "greendot" prepaid credit card that I purchased with the cadets money (I rarely use my own money for cadets, they can pay me upfront).  The service charge for the prepaid card was $3.50, which I split between the 7 Cadets making purchases.  So for Vanguards mistakes and my refusal to be a victim, my Cadets are suffering by being forced to pay a service fee from now on.  I was called a jerk for doing that, but that is the world we are living in today.  Thanks Vanguard!
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 11, 2008, 07:59:13 PM
Anyway.......I ordered from Vanguard today (I had too, my Cadets are idiots), but used a "greendot" prepaid credit card that I purchased with the cadets money (I rarely use my own money for cadets, they can pay me upfront).  The service charge for the prepaid card was $3.50, which I split between the 7 Cadets making purchases.  So for Vanguards mistakes and my refusal to be a victim, my Cadets are suffering by being forced to pay a service fee from now on.  I was called a jerk for doing that, but that is the world we are living in today.  Thanks Vanguard!

You're a jerk for adding 50 cents to an order to protect your own personal finances?

Tell them to get a clue and place the order themselves.

Man, the world we live in.

"That Others May Zoom"