Senior Member NCO Rank (Insignia)

Started by supplyguy, May 31, 2008, 11:41:23 PM

supplyguy

I want to say Thank You to everyone for their help and input as it is greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Kraig Morris
TSgt, CAP
I just requested last night to be demoted to TSgt and it is in national today. I think its "Awesome". Thank You.

MSgt Van

Personally, I wouldn't consider it a demotion..
Welcome to the CAP NCO corps. We should be up to 64 or so nationwide... :clap:

Cecil DP

Quote from: supplyguy on June 17, 2008, 08:41:41 PM
I just requested last night to be demoted to TSgt and it is in national today. I think its "Awesome". Thank You.

It;s not a demotion, You've just returned from the "Dark Side"
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

supplyguy

I really like the "Return from the Dark Side".  I am also retiring from USAR as a SSG soon.
Thank You.

Kraig Morris
TSgt CAP
SSG USAR

Cecil DP

I'm stubborn and refuse to retiree from the USAR until it's mandatory (as in the last day of the month I turn 60). If I'm still a member next year, I may also return to the side of righteousness, as a SMSGT
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Trung Si Ma

I will return to the NCO corps when I leave the IG slot.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on June 18, 2008, 11:51:12 AM
I will return to the NCO corps when I leave the IG slot.

As will I once I'm done playing Deputy Commander, if I don't become CC.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

lordmonar

I'll buck the trend....

I'm an AD (soon to retire) MSgt...but I'll keep my Capt bars (or trade them for Maj Oak Leafs this Nov).

Just because CAP NCOs just screw the whole system up.

We still don't have a defined role, and no way to progress.

To me it just seems to be a Good Ole Boys Club within CAP....and we got enough of those with the Pilots vs everyone else, CP vs ES, Wing vs Squadron....etc, et al.

COULD NCOs have a role in CAP...sure...and if you go look in the CAP NCO thread you will see my ideas about it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mikeylikey

^ very good points.  IF there was a defined role for NCO's and an established NCO Corps, I would be all for prior service NCO's to keep their rank, and possibly promote within CAP.  But there is not. 

All it comes down to in today's CAP is that old saying "I am an NCO, I work for a living". 

CAP has an Officer Corps.  Brand new members without prior service begin as Officers.  To say "I want to stay an NCO" strikes as trying to be better than everyone else.

I may be way off base here, but I just don't see an advantage to staying an NCO. 

Now, if CAP were to invent an NCO corps, with goals, and a well defined purpose like we almost had two years ago, I would support it in an instant.  But we don't.   :'(
What's up monkeys?

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: lordmonar on June 19, 2008, 01:39:14 AM
...and no way to progress.

As a LtCol, I don't have a way to progress either, so this argument is specious.

Yes, I can promote to COL by becoming a Wing King - but I don't need to be a LtCol to become a Wing CC either.

CAP grade is just a means of keeping score and I'm giving up my scorecard. 

lordmonar

That is true sir,

But an Ex Capt can progress up....Lt Cols are just at the top...an NCO cannot.  If you were a Spec-4 way back when.....you will always remain a Spec-4 no matter if you have your level 5 and serve 20 years in CAP.

Because NCO's can't progress it indictate that not only is their no need for them....but that CAP doesn't know how/want to deal with them.

I don't really care if someone wants to keep their stripes......I just think it stirs up the already muddy waters of CAP's rank system.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

I did the NCO thing for a couple of years and ended up going back to my officer grade mainly because the "system" didn't know what to do with me.

I was serving as the Deputy Commander for Cadets in my squadron.
Had more then a couple people try to tell me I couldn't be a Deputy Commander as a NCO.
Did my usual reply, "oh yeah, show me in the regs where it says I can't".

Never got a good reg cite, but the constant BS made it not worth the effort.

But hey, if it's your thing, great. But CAP has no clue on what you can or can't do.

YMMV

MSgt Van

I progress up the levels of professional development like other senior members, and expect the other SM nco's in my squadron to do the same.  I strive to help my Squadron, Group or Wing CC however I can.  I don't promote, but I do progress in my training.

I do agree with the other comments; I'm not sure what the benefit to a "structured" NCO corps within CAP would be.  I think the current development levels are well defined, and I'd hope they wouldn't change the expectations (lessen the requirements) for NCO development levels. I was discussing the NCO thing with my Wing CC this weekend. He's put requirements in place for Wing staff positions, but those are related to levels of professional development, and not rank per sei. 

This is interesting discussion; maybe a little of topic, but interesting.

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: MSgt Van on June 19, 2008, 04:14:00 PM
I progress up the levels of professional development like other senior members, and expect the other This is interesting discussion; maybe a little of topic, but interesting.

And without the vitriol of earlier threads.

afgeo4

Quote from: MSgt Van on June 19, 2008, 04:14:00 PM
I progress up the levels of professional development like other senior members, and expect the other SM nco's in my squadron to do the same.  I strive to help my Squadron, Group or Wing CC however I can.  I don't promote, but I do progress in my training.

I do agree with the other comments; I'm not sure what the benefit to a "structured" NCO corps within CAP would be.  I think the current development levels are well defined, and I'd hope they wouldn't change the expectations (lessen the requirements) for NCO development levels. I was discussing the NCO thing with my Wing CC this weekend. He's put requirements in place for Wing staff positions, but those are related to levels of professional development, and not rank per sei. 

This is interesting discussion; maybe a little of topic, but interesting.

How can you have expectations for NCO development levels when there aren't any?

We have senior member officer development levels. Not that an NCO can't participate in them, but as a training system for NCOs... there isn't one. If they had one, they'd have to link it to promotions of some kind. As it is, a former E-5 would have no reason to train as he/she cannot promote anyway. What's the additional motivation when we all have so little time after we do all that's needed of us at our squadrons and in our lives?
GEORGE LURYE

Bobble

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for quite a while, and it's been a useful learning experience.

I joined CAP in Nov. '07, and as per discussions with my Squadron Commander, wore E-5 insignia until I was eligible for, and promoted to, O-1.  Since we're a cadet squadron, we agreed that it would serve as a good example for the cadets to see a former enlisted promote into the officer ranks instead of remaining status quo indefinitely.  After all, we are trying to get the idea across that all, both cadets and seniors, should be continually striving for development and advancement.

As a state-certified secondary education teacher, I also could have initially requested a jump in grade, but that's probably not a good thing for cadets who have worked their way through the program to witness either, IMHO.

On a personal note, while I am proud that I was able to serve my country RM-wise, that was then and this is.....well, you get the idea.  For me, CAP is a new (and different) program and a fresh start.  I don't really see the point in either staying enlisted or jumping grades.  I'm just happy to go with the program as it stands.  Note that my CAP status, grade, or rank in no way affects my take-home pay.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

MIKE

Mike Johnston