Wouldn't ONE Uniform for ALL Be Best?

Started by Turk, May 23, 2008, 11:09:18 PM

Turk

Let's face it, folks - with seniors at least, right now, we have less uniformity than an Afghan irregular militia unit might have.

How about ONE uniform for ALL CAP members, seniors and cadets alike! This would include squared away seniors, chubby seniors, ancient seniors, and furry seniors... ALL of them!

How about an all-khaki single-breasted uniform, khaki shirt, and blue tie? Keep all the existing hats. Have metal rank on the coat, and AF blue rank on the shirt.

Keep all existing black corporate outergarmets. Keep the mess dress.

For all members joining after, say, 2010, make this THE mandatory uniform. For economy's sake and sanity's sake, put long phase-out dates on the AF blues, the blazer combo,  the double-breasted "Tony Pineda Uniform," and Air Force outer-garmets. Make it, say, seven years.

Presto -  on one glorious day in 2015, EVERY CAP member will have the SAME uniform.  The membership will thank us for the foresight that we showed back in 2008!   ;D

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

JohnKachenmeister

We've had this discussion... a lot.

But, if you want to do this again, here is MY brilliant and inspired plan.  To disagree is to exhibit ignorance.

Service Dress:  Scrap the TPU, and create a single "Corporate" uniform styled after the Air Force's Hap Arnold Heritage Uniform.  Hap is a big part of OUR heritage, too.  It was because of him we were armed, and because of him we did not die as an branch of Civil Defense, but came into the Air Force as an auxiliary.  The Hap Arnold Heritage CAP Uniform would be the Air Force uniform with dark blue epaulets, dark blue officer sleeve braid, and a white aviator shirt.  The cadet uniform would be the same as the Air Force.  Put dark blue epaulet sleeves on the white shirt (with "CAP" on them).

Flight suit/BDU's:  Dark blue.  For everybody.  If its good enough for the Thunderbirds, its good enough for us.  Phase them in as slow as you like.

Golf shirt:  OK. 

Blazer:  OK for retirees, and IACE.

Mess Dress:  OK.

Another former CAP officer

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 23, 2008, 11:47:03 PM
If its good enough for the Thunderbirds, its good enough for us.  Phase them in as slow as you like.

:o

The Thunderbirds are an elite organization -- CAP isn't! If anything, why not orange flight suits, since we're a SAR organization.

Oh, and I don't have a problem with the blues, except that it's not distinctive enough. The sleeve braid could be red or maroon, even a silver-gray (not the shiny aluminum) color.

But I'm still OK with the Air Force uniforms as they are right now. Just eliminate most of the non-Air Force uniforms and CAP's uniform scheme would be a lot less confounding.

Let's start with the golf shirt, the most unmilitary thing seniors wear. Might be good on the golf course, but not on CAP operations, especially when the general public is around. I don't enjoy the "but it's hot in Florida" contention. If the Real Military wears its uniforms in weather that's as bad or worse, CAP members can man up and wear the uniform too. We're the Air Force's auxiliary, not a flying club.

Boy, that last part was blunt.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Hawk200

Someone new had to stir the pot, eh?

Maybe we should have a sticky on each and every board about the use of that little button with the "search" label on it.

Would save a lot of annoyance from the new guy that's "going save all Civil Air Patrol from its ills".

Minimizing uniforms? Not a bad idea. Creating a uniform that would only be for CAP and cost an arm and a leg because of it's exclusivity? The only word that comes to mind is "boneheaded".

How's that for blunt?

jeders

Can we please have a lock on this as it has been beaten to death so many times before?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Turk

Pretty blunt all right, but hey, I'm thick-skinned.

Nothing specific or unique or expensive about khaki - in fact, the Navy is re-adopting it as we speak.

I'm glad that we at least agree that we need to reduce the number of uniforms. I'm willing to jettison my khakicentric proposal if you have a better idea. Just keep in mind that it can't be USAF blues, cuz' the USAF will gig us on furry CAP members and portly CAP members wearing it.

So, the floor is yours! What shall we standardize on for Class A wear?

DC

Use the search function and save us all some acid reflux!

Lock, please...

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on May 24, 2008, 12:32:55 AM
Can we please have a lock on this as it has been beaten to death so many times before?

I second...

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Turk on May 24, 2008, 12:34:38 AM
Nothing specific or unique or expensive about khaki - in fact, the Navy is re-adopting it as we speak.

But that would be a Navy uniform. Any variation exclusive to CAP would be costly to us. Any slight variation is a new pattern as far as the provider would be concerned, and they would charge accordingly.

Quote from: Turk on May 24, 2008, 12:34:38 AMI'm glad that we at least agree that we need to reduce the number of uniforms. I'm willing to jettison my khakicentric proposal if you have a better idea. Just keep in mind that it can't be USAF blues, cuz' the USAF will gig us on furry CAP members and portly CAP members wearing it.

The main problem there is there are probably multiple camps on what should be the "sole" uniform. Some think that only an Air Force blues variation is appropriate. Others believe that since we're not military, then a Corporate Service dress can be the only option. Some think that the golf shirt is all we need to accompolish the mission. Still others think that cadets should wear Air Force, and seniors should wear a corporate. One suggestion made some time ago was to adopt Boy Scout uniforms.

Quote from: Turk on May 24, 2008, 12:34:38 AMSo, the floor is yours! What shall we standardize on for Class A wear?

As you can see from above, that isn't a cut and dried concept. I've presented a few options in the past myself, but I'm actually tired of the battle. There are way too many variations theorized to make everyone happy. And there are plenty of people on here that have said that if their favorite wasn't the one ultimately agreed upon, they'd leave. See how it's a major can of worms?

I do believe that there should be far fewer options. But no-one agrees. This one is a heartburn debate.

PHall

What shall we standardize on for Class A wear?

What is this Class A you speak of?

We are the Auxiliary of the Air Force. The Air Force does not refer to their uniforms as Class A, B, C, etc.
And neither does the CAP Uniform Manual....

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on May 24, 2008, 12:54:55 AM
What shall we standardize on for Class A wear?

What is this Class A you speak of?

We are the Auxiliary of the Air Force. The Air Force does not refer to their uniforms as Class A, B, C, etc.
And neither does the CAP Uniform Manual....

Not THIS nonsense again, that issue is deader than this thread.

I just hope we can standardize on a COVER.  AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on May 24, 2008, 12:01:34 AM
If the Real Military wears its uniforms in weather that's as bad or worse, CAP members can man up and wear the uniform too. We're the Air Force's auxiliary, not a flying club.

I find it really amazing how some people always stress AF AUX, not the civilian aux to the USAF.  Semantics maybe - but that is how we are chartered.    We are the Civilian Auxiliary to the USAF.   Like it or not - CIVILIAN.

Man up?????    Please...
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Hawk200

Quote from: Short Field on May 24, 2008, 01:18:06 AM
I find it really amazing how some people always stress AF AUX, not the civilian aux to the USAF.  Semantics maybe - but that is how we are chartered.    We are the Civilian Auxiliary to the USAF.   Like it or not - CIVILIAN.

Civilian Auxiliary to the Air Force. Air Force Auxiliary. The terms have always been synonymous to me. One's a lot shorter to say(and type).

DC

Potato, Potato. Crap, that doesn't come out right when its typed...

Well, you get what I mean, same difference. All semantics.

JoeTomasone

I would be fine with the current blues, BDUs, and green flight suit for trim and clean members and the Aviator/White , Blue BDUs, abd blue flight suit for heavy/furry members.

Drop the golf shirt, blazer, corporate, and any other uniform I've forgotten.

Maybe keep the corporate service coat as a mess dress alternative for the heavy/furry?

DC

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 24, 2008, 01:40:35 AM

I would be fine with the current blues, BDUs, and green flight suit for trim and clean members and the Aviator/White , Blue BDUs, abd blue flight suit for heavy/furry members.

Drop the golf shirt, blazer, corporate, and any other uniform I've forgotten.

Maybe keep the corporate service coat as a mess dress alternative for the heavy/furry?

Sounds good, but I thought the Blazer was supposed to be the Service Dress/Mess Dress Corporate combo.

Also drop the 'Utility Uniform' jumpsuit. Anything you would wear that for you could also do in BBDUs.

Trims it down, and doesn't offend anyone except those that won't part with the polo. Which I think is a stretch to even consider as a uniform to begin with...

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on May 24, 2008, 01:47:57 AM
Trims it down, and doesn't offend anyone except those that won't part with the polo. Which I think is a strecth to even consider as a uniform to begin with...

Polo shirt's a uniform. I wear one when I deliver pizza...

FW

Quote from: DC on May 24, 2008, 01:33:34 AM
Potato, Potato. Crap, that doesn't come out right when its typed...

Well, you get what I mean, same difference. All semantics.

How about:  potayto, potahto?    ;D

I'm beginning to wish we didn't wear uniforms at all.  It's hard to believe we've been on this subject, ahhhh, it seems forever.  Maybe we should just wear a name tag that says: "HI, ask me about CAP"  >:D

Turk

Okay, as a newbie, I was not aware this issue had previously been beaten to death by the esteemed veterans of CAPTalk.

Sorry I raised it! I'm outta here... ::)

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Turk on May 24, 2008, 02:05:16 AM
Okay, as a newbie, I was not aware this issue had previously been beaten to death by the esteemed veterans of CAPTalk.

Sorry I raised it! I'm outta here... ::)

Sissy!
Another former CAP officer