What is going on at your CAC?

Started by airforcecolors, October 29, 2005, 09:25:11 PM

airforcecolors

I know a lot of CACs around the Nation are making great ideas reality. Please post interesting topics and happenings at your CAC, whether its Group, Wing, etc., so we can get a better understanding of how to improve for the better!
There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

Pylon

Currently my Group CAC is in a hiatus.  I have appointed CAC officers (a Chairperson, a Vice, etc), but the due to the geographical spread of the Central New York Group and the fact that there are only three units with cadets in the Group, the Group CAC rarely convenes for meetings.

Rather, we send our CAC officers (the Chair or Vice usually) to the Wing CAC to update them on what's going on in CNYG and participate in that limited capacity.

Hopefully in the future I'd like to see the CAC take more shape and formality, but for the past 8+ years that I can remember, the CAC here goes through cycles from luke warm to cold.  It's rarely been a major deal at our Group level since I've been around, even when I was a cadet serving as the Group's Vice Chair.  :)

The New York Wing CAC, however, tries to overcome the distance factor by meeting on private AIM chatrooms more often than meeting in person -- though they still meet (quarterly I believe) in person.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Horn229

Quote from: airforcecolors on October 29, 2005, 09:25:11 PM
I know a lot of CACs around the Nation are making great ideas reality.

Umm, where?
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

MIKE

Mike Johnston

elkorona

AZWG CAC currently is working on;

• PT Competition
  • Sports Day

We started to form the AZWG Composite Drill Team (Sun God Team) and now thats handed off to two Co-Commaders.  Other then that we're going to be working on the Wing Cadet Competition with the Wing DCP as well as the Region Cadet Competition.  Lastly we were tasked to help on the Cadet Leadership Academies coming up in two weeks.

All in all its pretty busy, but has been silent lately.
Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy

airforcecolors

Quote from: Horn229 on October 30, 2005, 02:48:07 PM
Quote from: airforcecolors on October 29, 2005, 09:25:11 PM
I know a lot of CACs around the Nation are making great ideas reality.

Umm, where?
[/quote

Many CACs are doing productive things!

For example, WIWG CAC is making a Uniform Handbook. The purpose of the handbook is to provide a more easily understandable guide for the newer cadets in our wing.
There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

Chris Jacobs

i am not sure what our CAC here in Oregon really does any thing.  i know that in the past year there has only been maybe three meetings and that only one was in person.  i don't know if the CAC does more than i know of but as the C/CC of my squadron i would think i might know.  

In Oregon we have tried this new phone conferencing thing but it really has not worked out.  our squadron has attempted to participate twice.  the first time we had the wrong phone number and the second time we got the wrong security code.  my CAC rep the second time found himself in a conference with the Arizona wing CAC, but quickly realizing the mistake hung up and called me.  i think this is a great tool if we can some how get the information right.

Here in Oregon the units are fairly spread out and it is hard to get every one to take the long trip to wing headquarters.  some units are 4 or more hours away and it is silly to drive for 8 hours for a 1 or two hour meeting tops.  but i really wish that some thing would really come out of our CAC and then when it does i hope to see our wings cadets grab on like no other.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Glenn

PAWG Group has been talking about Group cadet of the quarter/year stuff along with new criteria or something for Wing cadet of the quarter/year.  We've also been debating the 'Fast Burner' program and trying to get BDU covers authorized for PAWG cadets instead of the ugly orange hats.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Glenn on November 27, 2005, 02:35:32 AM
PAWG Group has been talking about Group cadet of the quarter/year stuff along with new criteria or something for Wing cadet of the quarter/year.  We've also been debating the 'Fast Burner' program and trying to get BDU covers authorized for PAWG cadets instead of the ugly orange hats.

I'd be incredibly surprised if the BDU covers were authorized any time soon; as a matter of fact, a few years back the wing-level regs in PAWG could be construed as allowing their wear at the squadron level. This was tightened up very quickly, if memory serves.

When you say 'PAWG Group' do you mean Wing CAC or one of the Group CACs?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Horn229

Quote from: Glenn on November 27, 2005, 02:35:32 AM

It should still be authorized. IIRC, a Wing CC can write a supplement authorizing certain things, but they cannot restrict uniform items. So you shouldn't get in trouble for wearing a uniform item that is authorized in the CAPM 39-1.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Matt

Umm, here's a humdinger about PAWG... I just gandered at there website, which took about 30min to figure out where to click (It sucks to navigate if you haven't been there) and found their supplements.

There's not even a supplement for CAPM 39-1.  Unless it has been added since 5-Jan-04, it's not on the PAWGI 0-2 .

Just my 2 pence.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pylon

Quote from: Matt on November 28, 2005, 07:03:14 PM
Unless it has been added since 5-Jan-04, it's not on the PAWGI 0-2 .

Just my 2 pence.

It would have to have been added long after 5-Jan-04 (after 1 April 2005 actually, to be precise) in order for it to be a valid supplement.  It needs to be released after the date of the latest revision.  Wing supplements to regs and manuals automatically expire/become defunct when a new National version is released.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Pylon on November 28, 2005, 10:32:52 PM
Quote from: Matt on November 28, 2005, 07:03:14 PM
Unless it has been added since 5-Jan-04, it's not on the PAWGI 0-2 .

Just my 2 pence.

It would have to have been added long after 5-Jan-04 (after 1 April 2005 actually, to be precise) in order for it to be a valid supplement.  It needs to be released after the date of the latest revision.  Wing supplements to regs and manuals automatically expire/become defunct when a new National version is released.

Any such supplement is sitting on a hard drive or on a desk at Building 3-108, most likely...

The PAWG website isn't always up-to-date, either.

All that being said, I haven't seen a new wing supplement make it to the squadron level.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Xeno

ARWG CAC is currently working on:

Cadet Leadership School
Color Guard/Drill and Cermonies Academy
Locations for the Next Cadet Encampment
CAPR 52-16 revisions

• Remove recorder/discussion leader requirements for cadet achievements.
  • Remove SDA reports for officers.
  • Not requiring CPFT for FIRST achievement.
  • Offer a Challenge Option for cadets over the age of sixteen to promote every thirty  days through the Mitchell Award

C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

dwb

Quote from: Xeno on December 13, 2005, 06:43:16 AMCAPR 52-16 revisions

• Remove recorder/discussion leader requirements for cadet achievements.
  • Remove SDA reports for officers.
  • Not requiring CPFT for FIRST achievement.
  • Offer a Challenge Option for cadets over the age of sixteen to promote every thirty  days through the Mitchell Award

Are you supporting those revisions, or trying to stop them?

Xeno

I'm not really sure, I just pulled this stuff from their last meeting's minutes (which was just a week ago). All it said was that these topics were discussed. I am now only affiliated with CAC on a support basis, I sometimes attend discussions and send my thoughts down through their yahoo groups page whenever I'm needed, but I no longer hold a position on the council.

I do know that most of them are supporting the complete annihilation of the SDA. Or at the very least some method of explaining how they are to be done. I understand they have trouble finding tutorials that properly explain how SDAs are to be filled out and written.
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

dwb

Quote from: Xeno on December 13, 2005, 05:25:23 PMI do know that most of them are supporting the complete annihilation of the SDA. Or at the very least some method of explaining how they are to be done. I understand they have trouble finding tutorials that properly explain how SDAs are to be filled out and written.

Not to derail the thread, but that is a problem with the implementation of SDAs, not the concept.  Besides, CAPP 52-14 provides all the guidance one should need, and it's been "in the field" since June 2003.

Fact is, most people cannot write well.  SDAs force cadets to write.  The more you write, and the more your writing is critiqued, the better you'll be at writing.  Being able to write (and speak) well is a HUGE advantage in just about any career choice a cadet might make.

Personally, I think SDAs are a great concept.  If we need to tweak the implementation, fine, but don't do away with them.  Cadets need more practice writing and speaking English, not less.

afgeo4

Back to the orange cap topic...  I agree, no subordinate command can unauthorize an authorized uniform item.  If national says it's ok for wear then no one can say it's not.  They can add items to the authorized list, but cannot take them away.  For example, I was once told that I wasn't allowed to wear the brown t-shirt at unit meetings.  That the squadron commander only authorizes black tees for wear at meetings.  I quickly reminded the CC that he has no authority to unauthorize the item since the uniform manual specifically states that the brown t-shirt IS authorized.  I was then told that the black t-shirt is simply tradition and a recommendation.  My resolve?  I put my brown t-shirts away and started to wear black ones.  However, if I run out of black ones (hate doing laundry) I have no problems with wearing the brown to a meeting.   Unit traditions should never get in the way of unit operations, right?
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Back to thread topic...

Why don't we create AIM chatrooms for CNYG CAC?  Perhaps Wing has something to teach us after all.  Better yet, we should move it to captalk.  >:D
GEORGE LURYE