Mitchell Award

Started by footballrun21, October 04, 2005, 02:35:31 AM

footballrun21

I need to take only one more test and do the essay/speech before I can take the Mitchell.  Due to a lack of PT (my squadron wasn't able to find a place to do it all of last winter) I am only currently a Tech. Sergeant.  By the time I would be ready to take the Mitchell, I would probobly be a Senior Master Sergeant.  Do you need to be all caught-up with rank and promotions before you can take the Mitchell?  Meanng do I need to be a Chief Master Sergeant for two months before I can take it?
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

MIKE

Quote from: footballrun21 on October 04, 2005, 02:35:31 AM
Do you need to be all caught-up with rank and promotions before you can take the Mitchell? 

Absolutely!
Quote from: footballrun21 on October 04, 2005, 02:35:31 AM
Meanng do I need to be a Chief Master Sergeant for two months before I can take it?

There are two achievements for Chief, though the Armstrong doesn't get you a promotion.  Got to wait at least 60 days between Goddard and Armstrong achievements...  Once you have completed the requirements for Armstrong you must determine if it has been at least 18 months from your join date... You may not test for the Mitchell if you do not have at least 18 months time in service.

Also... Suggest you read CAPR 52-16 cover to cover before you proceed further.
Mike Johnston

capchiro

I may have something confused, but it sounds like you or your squadron may be in violation of 52-16.  According to 52-16 cadets may not test beyond their next achievement.  If you are a Tech Sgt, you shouldn't be testing beyond the Master Sgt or Lindberg level.  It sounds like you are off track and it needs to be addressed. PT testing is supposed to be offered once every thirty days.  This shouldn't be a problem in the winter time as the shuttle run, as I call it, may be substituted for the mile run, and can be done inside.  I hope I am not discouraging you, but someone needs to get this straightened out for you.  Cadets needs to read and understand 52-16, but it just as important that the senior members working with cadets read and understand it so they know how the program is to be administered.       
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

MIKE

My thoughts exactly!

I think if Cadet Pettit takes the time to read through CAPR 52-16 himself he may pick up the possible discrepancies with regard to his progression and can work with his leadership to address the issue.  At the moment though I don't think he understands the problem because he doesn't know the regulations... Which unfortunately is usually true of most cadets in phase I and II at least.
Mike Johnston

footballrun21

I have read CAPR 52-16.  I must of missed that part or misunderstood it.  I guess when this problem origionally developed, when I was a Senior Airman, I hadn't read 52-16 and didn't know of the testing rule.  No one stopped me then, so I just kept going.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing