BDU Grade Insignia Extension Question

Started by MIKE, October 03, 2005, 12:00:32 AM

MIKE

Got a question, or rather a request for clarification on the BDU grade insignia mandatory wear date extension.

Quote from: CAP KnowledgebaseNote: Mandatory Wear Date for Grade Insignia on BDU Collars Extended: The National Board approved a proposal to extend the mandatory wear date for grade insignia on both collars of the Battle Dress Uniforms from 30 September 2005 until 1 April 2006. For questions or additional information contact sparker@cap.gov or call Membership Services at 877-227-9142.

Grade insignia on both collars of the BDU uniform

To me this means that the mandatory wear date was extended for all grades... Cadets and senior, but I have been getting conflicting information from multiple sources which seemed to indicate that this extension of the mandatory wear date applied only to cadets, or specifically  to cadet airmen and NCOs only due to shortages of cadet grade insignia at CRAPMart.

Can anyone clarify?  If this extension does indeed apply to everyone... The Uniform Alterations Shop would most likely appreciate more time to continue to procrastinate on this particular issue.  :)
Mike Johnston

footballrun21

Quote from: MIKE on October 03, 2005, 12:00:32 AM
Got a question, or rather a request for clarification on the BDU grade insignia mandatory wear date extension.

Quote from: CAP KnowledgebaseNote: Mandatory Wear Date for Grade Insignia on BDU Collars Extended: The National Board approved a proposal to extend the mandatory wear date for grade insignia on both collars of the Battle Dress Uniforms from 30 September 2005 until 1 April 2006. For questions or additional information contact sparker@cap.gov or call Membership Services at 877-227-9142.

Grade insignia on both collars of the BDU uniform

To me this means that the mandatory wear date was extended for all grades... Cadets and senior, but I have been getting conflicting information from multiple sources which seemed to indicate that this extension of the mandatory wear date applied only to cadets, or specifically  to cadet airmen and NCOs only due to shortages of cadet grade insignia at CRAPMart.

Can anyone clarify?  If this extension does indeed apply to everyone... The Uniform Alterations Shop would most likely appreciate more time to continue to procrastinate on this particular issue.  :)

Thats what i think it means too.  I didn't even know about the extension.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

md132

I believe that means all grades.  Besides it doesn't specify. 

footballrun21

so everyone has until april to have ranks on both collars?
New Jersey Wing

Pylon

Quote from: footballrun21 on October 03, 2005, 02:18:30 AM
so everyone has until april to have ranks on both collars?

Yes, according to the release from National Headquarters.

However, this does not mean that people should now wait until April.  Compliance as early as possible is always important.  If you have the insignia, or can order them (i/e: if your insignia isn't on backorder), then you should make sure to comply with the new policy as soon as possible.

In addition, I know some local unit commanders have stipulated that they'd like to see all their personnel comply with the new manner of wearing grade insignia by an earlier date, to ensure that everyone at their unit wears the same thing.  As always, your commander dictates the uniform, so check with your chain of command for more details.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

footballrun21

the problem with this, though, is that the squadron only gives you one rank when you get promoted.  When you need it on both collars, you now need to always buy one.  This is what's gona kill new members.  They'll think that CAP costs too much (which it sometimes does) and end up quitting.
New Jersey Wing

SarDragon

Well, in my old unit, we did a one-for-one swap when cadets got promoted. The logicasl thing to do here would be for the unit to do a big order for everyone in the unit to acquire the second rank device for each person, at their expense, and an additional quantity to pair up the unit's stock, at the unit's expense, then do a two-for two swap at each promotion. Problem solved. Look at the big picture, not just your small part down in the lower right hand corner. Everybody wins.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

md132

That's pretty much what we do in my unit.  And we try to have an ample supply of insignias for both cadets and seniors so they don't have to purchase them.  Then at each promotion there is a swap of insignias.    What I would do in both my CAP unit and my SDF unit is that with each promotion I would donate my old insignias to my unit.

Pylon

Luckily I acquired a bunch of insignia for my cadets from leftovers of a shut-down cadet squadron in the Group.  I issued every single cadet a second insignia so that they could meet the new standard right away, without cost to them.  (It didn't cost my unit, after all, to acquire all those new insignia -- why should I charge the cadets?)

From here on out, I plan on doing just what was indicated above for the cadets in my squadron.  I'll swap on a two-for-two basis.  If C/SSgt Snuffy gets promoted to C/TSgt, he can bring in as many C/SSgt insignia as he has and I'll trade them for C/TSgt ones providing I have enough.  Sure, the squadron looses a few cents on the deal but that's why we raise money -- to cover little incidental costs like that.

As for CAPMart being backed up and out of cadet insignia, did they ever give an indication of when they'd have that situation cleared up and supply lines running as normal again?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

md132

Quote from: Pylon on October 04, 2005, 10:24:58 PM

As for CAPMart being backed up and out of cadet insignia, did they ever give an indication of when they'd have that situation cleared up and supply lines running as normal again?

As for CAPMart, there are at least a couple other websites that you can get insignias.  One is www.thehock.com.  They are pretty quick about orders.  Another is is www.paradestore.com.