Testing night

Started by floridacyclist, January 31, 2008, 01:09:44 AM

afgeo4

My squadron only meets twice a month, so we do all our testing by request. I find that having a specific testing night for a squadron that meets every week is perfectly doable and efficient.
GEORGE LURYE

M.Glisson003

When I was a cadet at a squadron in NC Wing we could test anytime. As long as the testing officer was present that night.

At McChord Composite squadron in WA Wing testing is scheduled for the first tuesday of every month - And if you miss that meeting then you can coordinate with the testing officer through your chain of command to schedule another date for testing.

I gues sit depends on the number of cadets you are testing and if you are a really busy squadron or not.

We try to accomplish one thing on the promotion contract every tuesday. That way cadets get promoted on time. ;D
Michael Glisson, C/CMSgt, CAP
McChord Composite Squadron

JAFO78

Our Saturday testing was done maybe once a month. If I was around (not working) or the Alt testing Officer, and sometimes the Squadron CO.

We had many cadets who were into sports and other actives, oh say homework and could not get in early on meeting night to test.

I find being flexible to help the cadets helps them a lot. 
JAFO

mikeylikey

^ So, they come later in the weekly meeting to test.  No one says testing has to be done during the first hour.
What's up monkeys?

NIN

I don't have our testing log sheet handy to attach, but basically the cadets use it to sign up for testing on it, then the testing officer uses it to pull the tests he needs (unfortunately, our testing box is a separately locked drawer in one of our file cabinets, and our file cabinets are not near the classroom), and once the test is administered, he records the scores on the log. 

Its a very easy way to cross-check who is taking a test multiple times, and it mitigates missing test headers (which can happen).

I'll post the PDF when I get a second. 

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SWASH

What we do is if a cadet want's to test, they come about 30 minuets before the meeting (about when everyone comes) and tells are DCC the (s)he want's to take (blank) test.  They get the test, go into one of the offices, and is usually done before the start of the meeting.  then the test is graded and results are posted in the kitchen.
CHRIS W. SAJDAK, C/SMSgt, CAP
2006-2007 SERWE Doolie, 2007-2008 SERWE Flight Sergeant
2008 ILWG Summer Encampment Flight Sergeant
08/09 FLWG Winter Encampemnt PAO

brasda91

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 02, 2008, 07:26:26 AM
My squadron only meets twice a month, so we do all our testing by request. I find that having a specific testing night for a squadron that meets every week is perfectly doable and efficient.

Do you find that meeting only twice a month is better or worse than meeting weekly?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

NIN

Here's my share for tonight, as promised... :)

Enjoy.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JAFO78

Thanks NIN, I wish we had something like that sign up sheet.  8)
We just used a sheet of note book paper.  :-[

JAFO

NIN

Quote from: RobG on February 06, 2008, 11:07:39 AM
Thanks NIN, I wish we had something like that sign up sheet.  8)
We just used a sheet of note book paper.  :-[

If you want the word file, you're welcome to it.

Big thing is, this serves as a "cross check" for testing. Cadet is up for promotion and his 66 doesn't show his leadership test.  He says "Sir, I passed my leadership test!" and the testing officer somehow managed to lose the test header before posting it in the cadet's personnel jacket, we can go back thru the logs and "Oh, lookie here. He did pass it on the 22nd.."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

JAFO78

I just printed off a copy to use as a master to make copy's from. I have done that with a lot of the forms and other ideas I have come across.
JAFO

cnitas

Our Squadron requires cadets to sign up for their test the week prior.  The testing officer collects the sign-up sheet at the end of each meeting and arrives the following week with the appropriate tests for the cadets who signed up.

Testing and sign up is available every week.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Pingree1492

Our squadron tests twice a month, on every even-numbered week (if there's a fifth week of that month, testing depends upon the Testing Officer's availability).  We have testing time 30 minutes prior to the start of the meeting, if a cadet wants to test, they show up at that time and take whatever test they want to, they do not have to pre-arrange anything.  We've had this arrangement for about 8 months now, and it has worked well for us.

A question I have for the slightly larger squadrons out there [we are now just shy of 50 cadets (about 35-40 show up every meeting], and we are not doing a very good job about getting cadets mentoring who are either struggling with their tests, or simply need to correct their Aerospace Tests to 100%.  What systems have you used in the past *that worked* to make mentoring more effective?  You can assume we'll have anywhere from 5-10 aerospace tests taken in a night, and about 2-3 failures per month.  Thanks for the input!
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

LtCol057

First, Lt Col Ninness, I looked at your version of the testing signup sheet.  I like it, and will be implementing it.

Second, my squadron has a version of the signup sheet, but there hasn't been any followup as far as when cadets fail the tests.  That will be changed.  My squadron has been allowing the cadets to come in at any meeting and test, and the passing rate is to put it bluntly, "piss poor".  I'm still debating whether to have testing 2x a month, or just once a month. I'm really leaning towards the 1x/month. WIWAC, testing was once a month. It pretty much forced us to know the material if we ever wanted to be promoted.

DC

Quote from: LtCol057 on September 27, 2008, 11:56:55 PM
First, Lt Col Ninness, I looked at your version of the testing signup sheet.  I like it, and will be implementing it.

Second, my squadron has a version of the signup sheet, but there hasn't been any followup as far as when cadets fail the tests.  That will be changed.  My squadron has been allowing the cadets to come in at any meeting and test, and the passing rate is to put it bluntly, "piss poor".  I'm still debating whether to have testing 2x a month, or just once a month. I'm really leaning towards the 1x/month. WIWAC, testing was once a month. It pretty much forced us to know the material if we ever wanted to be promoted.
There is a serious problem if your cadets routinely cannot pass their achievement testing. Either they are not motivated at all, or there is a larger issue. CAP tests are not so difficult that most cadets should not be able to pass them.

LtCol057

I agree  whole heartedly.  I just recently became the Squadron Commander, and looking thru some records, found that some of our cadets have been promoted without completing everything for each achievement. Some have missed the morale leadership (character development) classes, several had not taken a PFT in several months.  The former commander had zero understanding of the cadet program. The Deputy Commander for Cadets sits in his office. When he does come out to a cadet meeting, he talks incessantly about way back when. I've told him the cadet program has changed quite a bit.  I'm in the process of putting together an OI for the cadet program. I've already had a minor "incident" with a cadet that the DC has been promoting every month. He's a AFJROTC cadet.  I refused to promote him the other night. I told him I will not promote him until I've verified that he has completed ALL requirements. I told all the cadets that temporarily all promotions are on freeze. I'm not trying to be a dictator, just kinda anal about the regs.  And as a paramedic, I learned, if it ain't written down, it won't done.

DC

Quote from: LtCol057 on September 28, 2008, 01:29:37 AM
I agree whole heartedly.  I just recently became the Squadron Commander, and looking thru some records, found that some of our cadets have been promoted without completing everything for each achievement. Some have missed the morale leadership (character development) classes, several had not taken a PFT in several months.  The former commander had zero understanding of the cadet program. The Deputy Commander for Cadets sits in his office. When he does come out to a cadet meeting, he talks incessantly about way back when. I've told him the cadet program has changed quite a bit.  I'm in the process of putting together an OI for the cadet program. I've already had a minor "incident" with a cadet that the DC has been promoting every month. He's a AFJROTC cadet.  I refused to promote him the other night. I told him I will not promote him until I've verified that he has completed ALL requirements. I told all the cadets that temporarily all promotions are on freeze. I'm not trying to be a dictator, just kinda anal about the regs.  And as a paramedic, I learned, if it ain't written down, it won't done.
Good for you. I have seen my squadron go through a similar phase, though admittedly not as bad as yours. There will be resistance, and your cadets will hate you for a while, but it will pass. And by the sound of it, you need to tell your DCC to get with your program, or take a hike. The best thing you can do for yourself is find a motivated cadet staff that wants to change things for the better, and will get things done. As soon as the cadets discover that you aren't going to let them do whatever they want, and that they can't push you around, they will start to improve. Also be prepared, some, even a lot, may leave. My squadron experienced about a 70%  turn over in cadets over the course of a year, but ultimately we ended up with motivated and hardworking cadets. Secretly, all cadets want to be held to a higher standard, they may not show it, but eventually they will be appreceative. Also, you may have to take the reins for a little while, but as soon and maybe before, you are comfortable, turn some of the power over to the DCC, keep an eye on him, make sure he is doing his job, then make sure that he is giving power to the Cadet Staff. Within a few months, maybe a year, the Cadet Staff should be running the program almost completely, with the DCC and yourself in a more administrative and mentoring role.

Good luck, and don't give the cadets an inch. But make changes over time, too much at once will overwhelm them.

rebowman

What do you do when your cadets are not mature enough nor professional enough to run things on their own? I am the DCC of my unit and have been completely running things for almost 2 years now.  The cadets cannot on their own. 

And, when I teach the cadets the things that they need to know (AE, moral leadership, etc....) most of them complain.  How can I get them to realize that some things are required? And, what can be added for "fun" to keep them interested?

Most of my cadets want to be there but they are not motivated and hard-working.  Goofing off seems to be on the top of their priority list.

cnitas

Quote from: rebowman on September 29, 2008, 05:00:30 PM
What do you do when your cadets are not mature enough nor professional enough to run things on their own? I am the DCC of my unit and have been completely running things for almost 2 years now.  The cadets cannot on their own. 

Are you sure they are not mature enough?  How old are your cadets?  Professionalism is groomed/learned.  YOU must hold them to the standard.  If you have 1 or 2 cadets who are instigators, pull them aside and explain it is your way, or the highway.  Discussions with parents can also be effective.

Quote from: rebowman
And, when I teach the cadets the things that they need to know (AE, moral leadership, etc....) most of them complain.  How can I get them to realize that some things are required? And, what can be added for "fun" to keep them interested?

Most of my cadets want to be there but they are not motivated and hard-working.  Goofing off seems to be on the top of their priority list.
Probably because you are teaching the classes.  Let the cadets teach the classes.  At first they will not be as 'good' as your classes, but you need to get them used to the idea of being in front of others and in charge.  Responsibility usually gives people a different angle on 'goofing off'.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DC

A previous DCC at my squadron had the same opinion. Eventually he was replaced and the ball started rolling again.

Basically, your cadets will never meet your standards if you don't let them. Give them a little bit of room, let them teach classes. Make criteria for what they have to do (ex, have a lesson plan to you two weeks in advance, subject to your approval), but let them do it. They will fall short, but eventually they will get it. Then let them do some planning. Let them plan a bivouac or something. Help them out, but don't do it for them. Then work from there.

It will be a rough transition for you. You will go from doing everything, to giving up that power to your cadet staff, and having to trust them to do it right.

You also need to allow the cadets' Chain of Command to work, if you want to talk to Element Leader  Snuffly, you need to go to Flight Commander Soandso, and he needs to go to Flight Sergeant Bagodonuts, who should talk to the element leader.

Also make sure you have a good mix of fun and 'boring' stuff, On PT night, let them play Soccer or something every once and a while, have a 'fun' bivouac, they might have some specific job to do, but in their off time let them have fun and bond.

Your cadets will not grow and progress like they are supposed to if you do everything for them, you need to delegate tasks to them, and make sure they know that if they don't do it, it won't get done. If you need to make consquences, withhold an activity or something, though I doubt it will come to that.

But, overall, you need to give them a chance. I'll bet that if given a little time and patience they will impress you.