Main Menu

Pararescue

Started by ♠SARKID♠, December 06, 2007, 05:56:35 PM

♠SARKID♠

I heard that CAP used to have para-rescuers way way way back when.  Does anybody have any history on that?

Duke Dillio

Go look at the mountain's website.  They have a little bit of history on airborne CAP types.  Colgan, tell him where the link is....   hehehe

mikeylikey

They still do depending on what special activities you may go to. 
What's up monkeys?

SJFedor

This is only hear-say, but I believe it was one of those PAWG things where former Army Airborne troopers were doing air drops into a potential SAR area. I don't know if they actually used it on a true SAR mission though, or just did it in training.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JayT

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 06, 2007, 05:56:35 PM
I heard that CAP used to have para-rescuers way way way back when.  Does anybody have any history on that?

During World War II, there was some 'para units,' I don't recall they were ever used in that way through.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Flying Pig

Ahhhh....this is the age ol' question of the CAP Airborne, CAP Paratroopers, CAP SAR Jumpers was one I heard about too.  We were asking this question when I was a cadet, and even then, the only answers out there were "Well, I heard once....."

The answer I got at a Cadet Conference many years ago was that there was a Wing who had some CAP members who jumped on their own and tried to incorporate it into CAP in some way, but it never panned out.  Id like to see what really happened, if anything.

mikeylikey

It was a PAWG thing that never worked out.  A couple of wacky Capers used thier own planes and pushed members out the door.  The infamous creator of the Hawk Mountain was the ring leader.  Glad it did not work out.  Also glad we are only left with Hawk MTN and none of his other wacky creations. 
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

I never knew about a Hawk-Para program.

However, In the 1940's there was a Group in the Pacific Northwest trained as an early version of the Forest Service's Smokejumpers. (Wildland-firefighters, deployed by parachute)

Program started as part of the Forest Patrols. Idea was that if a CAP patrol found a fire then the guys would take off, parachute out and do battle with the beast. 

Never used for a real fire though. Program disbanded when the war ended.

My source is Flying Minutemen
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on December 06, 2007, 11:36:24 PM
However, In the 1940's there was a Group in the Pacific Northwest trained as an early version of the Forest Service's Smokejumpers. (Wildland-firefighters, deployed by parachute)

The first organzed use of para's for Smoke Jumpers was the 555 Parachute Infantry Battalion (PIB), the first all-black Army unit.  Unlike the other segregated units, 555 PIB also had black officers.  See http://www.triplenickle.com/ and the links off of that page for more info.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

JCW0312

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 06, 2007, 10:54:07 PM
A couple of wacky Capers used thier own planes and pushed members out the door. 

Any reason we couldn't still do this on occasion when it's obvious it would benefit CAP? >:D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: JCW0312 on December 07, 2007, 02:41:55 AM

Any reason we couldn't still do this on occasion when it's obvious it would benefit CAP? >:D

Where do I sign up?    ;D

LittleIronPilot

It was a PAWG thing that never worked out.  A couple of wacky Capers used thier own planes and pushed members out the door.  The infamous creator of the Hawk Mountain was the ring leader.  Glad it did not work out.  Also glad we are only left with Hawk MTN and none of his other wacky creations. 

huh????? As a former Paratrooper myself I would LOVE the idea! Than again I guess I am wacky....I also plan on attending Hawk Mountain sometime in the near future.

I am a pilot, and am working towards MP status, however even in my short time in the CAP I see a serious lack of true woodland, over-the-land, humping and navigating skills on the ground teams. Heck most of them in my area are one adult and a bunch of cadets running around (BTW, not a slam at the cadets at all), what I am getting at is that the GT portion of what CAP does seems to get a lot less attention even from National. This is funny considering in SLS one thing that is stressed as one of the strongest points of CAP is our air-to-ground capabilities.

Duke Dillio

Hmmm, found this for all's enjoyment from CAPR 52-16, para. 1-4d:

Quoted. Parachuting & Ultralight Vehicles. Cadets may not parachute, para-sail or engage in similar activities at a CAP activity. Flying ultralights, aerolights or any similar vehicle is also prohibited at CAP activities (see CAPR 60-1, CAP Flight Management).

Doesn't say anything about senior members parachuting at CAP activities.....

But *sigh*, CAPR 60-1, para. 2-4c specifically prohibits the use of CAP aircraft in "parachuting activities."

But it doesn't say anything about CAP senior members jumping from member owned aircraft during non-CAP activities...   >:D

jimmydeanno

Quote from: sargrunt on December 07, 2007, 02:14:56 PM
Hmmm, found this for all's enjoyment from CAPR 52-16, para. 1-4d:

Quoted. Parachuting & Ultralight Vehicles. Cadets may not parachute, para-sail or engage in similar activities at a CAP activity. Flying ultralights, aerolights or any similar vehicle is also prohibited at CAP activities (see CAPR 60-1, CAP Flight Management).

Doesn't say anything about senior members parachuting at CAP activities.....

But *sigh*, CAPR 60-1, para. 2-4c specifically prohibits the use of CAP aircraft in "parachuting activities."

But it doesn't say anything about CAP senior members jumping from member owned aircraft during non-CAP activities...   >:D

You should ask NIN about parachuting at CAP activities, he's has some experience in that arena...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Duke Dillio

^who's NIN?  Did he get into some sort of trouble over the issue?  I know that there was an incident regarding some "unauthorized" rappelling during an ES mission....

jimmydeanno

Quote from: sargrunt on December 07, 2007, 02:22:50 PM
^who's NIN?  Did he get into some sort of trouble over the issue?  I know that there was an incident regarding some "unauthorized" rappelling during an ES mission....

Darrin Ninness (screen name "NIN"), he likes to parachute into encampments for the enjoyment of the cadets for part of the AE requirements.  No, no trouble, but I'm sure he could explain the process should you choose to sky-dive into your next squadron meeting.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JCW0312

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on December 07, 2007, 02:51:45 AM

I meant without parachutes. We'll start with those who consistently suggest CAP members be able to wear berets.  ;)
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

JC004

well, we do have these...

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: JCW0312 on December 07, 2007, 02:58:11 PM
Quote from: PhoenixCadet on December 07, 2007, 02:51:45 AM

I meant without parachutes. We'll start with those who consistently suggest CAP members be able to wear berets.  ;)

Why do we even NEED the parachutes?  Lets just wear the berets!  We'll call ourselves the.... uh, Special Airborne Rescue (SAR) Force.   ;D

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

AC

I would love to try that from a CAP aircraft! Unfortunately, all my parachuting activities in the USAF have left me with 2 artificial knees, screws in my feet, and fused vertebrae w/titanium plates in my neck! I think I would break apart upon landing!  :'(

AC

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

mikeylikey

^ How can you get that bad. Wouldn't you stop after an injury of such importance.  If you did drive on through the injuries to get more injuries, you do show great dedication. 
What's up monkeys?

Flying Pig

Im trying to imagine when CAP would ever have the need to jump into an area.   Because once you jump in....you can't jump out.  So, Im thinking in our case, however we get out is probably how we get in.

Im going to put that on a t-shirt.

In SARKIDs defense....I know this thread has completely gone far beyond his question:)

AC

Post traumatic degenerative arthritis set in a few years ago. I did continue jumping after my first broken foot. The doctors wanted to do orthopaedic surgery on it at the time. They told me if they did, I would be taken off jump status forever. So I told them to just cast it. Went back on jump status and made over 200 jumps then. They warned me I would get arthritis when I got to be about 60. They hit it right on the head!
I had all these surgeries in the last 4 years.

AC

Sorry to hijack the thread.

AEO

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

AC

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 07, 2007, 06:08:59 PM
   Because once you jump in....you can't jump out.  So, Im thinking in our case, however we get out is probably how we get in.

Well....check this out!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system

I am an AEO!
A few members of my outfit actually went on this ride in testing!

AEO

♠SARKID♠

Umm...think about what you just said.  Of course they can.  You can do whatever you want if it isnt a CAP activity...

In SARKIDs defense....I know this thread has completely gone far beyond his question:)

Meh, I got my answer many a post ago.

Stonewall

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 07, 2007, 06:08:59 PMBecause once you jump in....you can't jump out.  So, I'm thinking in our case, however we get out is probably how we get in.

What about Smoke Jumpers?  Not that I'm advocating a CAP jump team or mission, but I'd say a jump SAR team would be relatively equivalent to the smoke jumping mission.  Not that I have any knowledge of either, but....
Serving since 1987.

JCW0312

Quote from: AC on December 07, 2007, 07:50:00 PM
   Because once you jump in....you can't jump out.  So, Im thinking in our case, however we get out is probably how we get in.

Well....check this out!

I am an AEO!

Well since it's not in use anymore, I'm sure we could pick up one for each wing at the local army surplus store. Strap it onto our CAP C-130's and... :D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

AC

Right! And for Stonewall's answer, we could get some surplus helicopters too! ;)

Of course, if we had helicopters, we wouldn't need the jumpers! That's what happened in Vietnam.

But HALO, now that's another mission. ;)

AEO

floridacyclist

One of my kids already had the bright idea of jumping into Hawk next year (we'll be on our bike ride this Summer)...he's assuming by then, we'll all be jump-qualified, which is a very distinct possibility.

He was talking about hanging our bags below us for the landing until I pointed out that with  modern square gliding chutes, the bag would act more like an arrestor hook than anything and suggested that we simply have the 17yo drive the van in with our gear LOL.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

mikeylikey

Quote from: floridacyclist on December 07, 2007, 09:08:43 PM
One of my kids already had the bright idea of jumping into Hawk next year (we'll be on our bike ride this Summer)...he's assuming by then, we'll all be jump-qualified, which is a very distinct possibility.

He was talking about hanging our bags below us for the landing until I pointed out that with  modern square gliding chutes, the bag would act more like an arrestor hook than anything and suggested that we simply have the 17yo drive the van in with our gear LOL.

Jumping at Hawk would wind you up in a local jail.  Those guys at the Hawk Mountain Conservation Observatory take thier birds very seriously.  I do beleive there are flight restricts around that area when the Hawks come to mate or do whatever Hawks do each year. 
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: floridacyclist on December 07, 2007, 09:08:43 PM
He was talking about hanging our bags below us for the landing...

On the Normandy jump, many individuals stashed all their spare equipment and even their weapons in a British made leg bag as shown above. The bag could be lowered on a 15 foot rope to dangle below the jumper after his parachute opened, so he would be free of the weight of it when landing. However, the vast majority of men who jumped with leg bags in Normandy had them torn-off by the opening shock of their deploying parachutes. The bags and contents sailed off into pitch black Norman air space never to be seen by the original owners again. American Rigger M/Sgt Joe Lanci developed an improved version of the leg bag in time for the Holland jump in September, 1944. photo c/o Dennis Davies.

This daredevil, Dick Knudsen of F/506th jumped into France with a Brit-made leg bag containing his bazooka rocket launcher. When his chute opened, he didn't have time to release the bag before hitting the ground. Upon landing several hundred yards from St Mere Eglise, he broke his pelvis. Knudsen laid unaided in no man's land for several days before being discovered and evacuated. photo c/o Charles Young 439th TCG

Rest of the site here:  http://www.101airborneww2.com/equipment3.html

"That Others May Zoom"

AC

Quote from: Stonewall on December 07, 2007, 08:27:44 PM
What about Smoke Jumpers?  Not that I'm advocating a CAP jump team or mission, but I'd say a jump SAR team would be relatively equivalent to the smoke jumping mission.  Not that I have any knowledge of either, but....

If you anticipate jumping into trees, you need this..

The suit has a strap that runs from the feet and across your crotch. Helps if you wind up straddling a branch! ;)
Pictured are two members of my team in the USAF.

AEO

♠SARKID♠

QuoteUpon landing several hundred yards from St Mere Eglise, he broke his pelvis.

St. Mere Eqlise is nice, I've been there.  This knudsen fellow had it much better than John Steele.  His parachute got caught on the church steeple and he had to play dead for hours.  The Germans were still holding the town and as they went to collect the bodies he "came back to life" and scared the begeezus out of a couple soldaten.  He was detained but rescued when the allies took St. Mere Eglise a short while later.  Theres a replica of Steele hanging on the steeple, and inside the church is a stained glass window of the Virgin Mary with paratroopers coming down around her.

AC

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 08, 2007, 07:37:24 AM
  Theres a replica of Steele hanging on the steeple, and inside the church is a stained glass window of the Virgin Mary with paratroopers coming down around her.

Really? That is cool! Your pic doesn't show.

AEO

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: AC on December 08, 2007, 07:52:49 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 08, 2007, 07:37:24 AM
  Theres a replica of Steele hanging on the steeple, and inside the church is a stained glass window of the Virgin Mary with paratroopers coming down around her.

Really? That is cool! Your pic doesn't show.

http://www.taphilo.com/photo/pictures/ST-Mere-eglise.JPG
http://www.eriding.net/media/photos/warfare/smegl/050711_cbrown_mp_his_sm2371.jpg

AC

Thanks for the link. That is so cool! You can still see the bullet pock marks in the church!

AC

AEO

Flying Pig

Quote from: AC on December 07, 2007, 07:50:00 PM

Well....check this out!

I am an AEO!

Ahhhhh!!  After I posted that, I knew someone was going to bring that up!!!

On a side note.....My grandfather jumped into St. Mere Eglise.  Never really talked about it though.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: AC on December 08, 2007, 08:02:46 AM
Thanks for the link. That is so cool! You can still see the bullet pock marks in the church!

AC

Yup, they're all over the place.  If you took a pair of pliers, you could actually pull the bullets from the walls.

JCW0312

That's really neat SARKID. Thanks for sharing it.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

♠SARKID♠

^ No prob, glad to inform.

sarmed1

QuoteJumping at Hawk would wind you up in a local jail.  Those guys at the Hawk Mountain Conservation Observatory take thier birds very seriously.  I do beleive there are flight restricts around that area when the Hawks come to mate or do whatever Hawks do each year

No it has happened before during the school, we bring an aeromedical evac helo every year as part of the school.  In fact there have been jumps in a time or two, however the parade field is a tight DZ, you have to be on your game or else you are going into the trees or smack into (onto) the cars in the parking lot.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Duke Dillio

^MEDIC UP!!!!

Now that would be something I'd want to see with some nachos and some soda....

Smokey

Please Please ....tell me....

why would you want to jump from a perfectly good airplane????

I go up in the plane, I come down in the plane.   Only if it's on fire would I want to leave early!!!

I'm not a willing candidate for the caterpillar club.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Duke Dillio

It's a rush man.  The first time I tried it, I was so nervous about it, I didn't even realize that I was out of the aircraft until my chute opened.  It wasn't until probably my third jump that I panicked a bit causing me to have a REALLY bad landing.  Even with the accident, I still wouldn't mind doing it again.  It has been a little while since I went but I understand there are a couple of places around here that have regular events.  Try not to knock it til you try it.  MWA HA HA...   >:D

Stonewall

Quote from: Smokey on December 10, 2007, 11:49:13 PM

No such thing.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

^But didn't you say you were going to the dark side there Kirt?  Better make friends with some of those airplanes.  I don't think CAP issues parachutes...

Smokey

As a cop I handled a parachuting accident...it was his 100th jump.  Landed in the front yard of a house....he even bounced.  When I got to the airport to talk to his fellow jumpers, they were annoyed that I was asking them about the dead guy....they had paid for the jumps and still had two to go!!!  And I was delaying them.

I'll stick to aluminium flights if you don't mind.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Stonewall

Even on Sunday when I went flying in our 2006 C-182, there was a glitch in the HUD or whatever the "glass screen" is called on the left side.

I've just never been in an aircraft that didn't seem to have at least one known problem.  I'd hate to learn about the unknown issues I'm not aware of. 
Serving since 1987.

SJFedor

Quote from: Stonewall on December 11, 2007, 12:12:20 AM
Even on Sunday when I went flying in our 2006 C-182, there was a glitch in the HUD or whatever the "glass screen" is called on the left side.

I've just never been in an aircraft that didn't seem to have at least one known problem.  I'd hate to learn about the unknown issues I'm not aware of. 

PFD, primary flight display. I wish we had HUDs though, that'd be sa-weet.

That's why I take a big interest in pre-flights, even if I'm not the pilot. Always good to know the plane you're entrusting your life to. I encourage everyone I fly with, and mandate it from my MO/MS on missions, to fully participate in the walk around and pre-flight. They might see something I don't, and extra eyes never hurt.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

NIN

Quote from: Smokey on December 10, 2007, 11:49:13 PM
Please Please ....tell me....

You haven't seen the planes we jump out of...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Since Jimmydeano opened up the floor...

I have two jumps into CAP activities.  In BOTH instances, I was not jumping as a CAP member, but rather as an "interested parachutist providing a community service to CAP."  (you believe that, right?  OK.)

First time was into the Pass & Review ceremony at the end of the 1998 Michigan Wing Summer Encampment in Alpena, MI.  It was made easy by the fact that the PIR is held on the flight line of an ANG base, and the Base Ops/Control Tower folks were so easy going about it I thought it was a trick. The FAA said "On to an airfield?  You have permission? Sweet, we don't care then. Have fun. Bye!"  The hardest part was getting the plane (not secured until 0730 that morning). I left the graduation ceremony about a half hour early, ceremonially signed out of the activity with my boss, the Commandant of Cadets, changed clothes, went down to the civilian hangars, geared up, climbed in to the plane and we were off.   20 minutes later, I was dead centering my target in front of about 300 parents, cadets and DVs.  Even managed to salute the General who was our reviewing officer.

That's me about 5 seconds after touchdown trying to make sure the canopy lands on the top skin.  Once it was collapsed, I gave the general a salute and ran away. :)

The second time was into sort of the "2nd half" of  the class on "aerodynamic decelerators" that I do for AE at the (Help me out here, Smiley) 2002 NH Wing Encampment.  Same thing: Signed out, changed clothes, went to the airfield, got in a plane and wound up landing in front of about 80 cadets and seniors.  Didn't hurt that my commandant spelled out "NO GO" on the ground that became, magically, "GO ON" ...

Sadly, no good photos exist of that one.

Couple notes:

1) It is FAR harder to find a plane & pilot to fly you than it is to get the various permissions.  Trust me, I know.
2) CADETS are prohibited from parachuting as a CAP activity in 52-16. Please find me the chapter and verse prohibiting seniors.   (yes, yes, 60-1 doesn't allow parachute ops from CAP planes. No kidding!)  There is no such prohibition for seniors.
3) The POH imposes a 90kt limitation on the Airvan with the door open.   Why would I know this fact?
4) CAP did have an entire parachute group from 1942 till the early 1950s in Michigan Wing.  2 parachute jumping squadrons, a rigger squadron, and a Negro glider flight. (that's what it said: "Negro glider flight" I don't write the history, I just get to occasionally report it)   That group had its own airfield, too!
5) Sadly, the CAP WWII wings are not authorized anymore.

(that's not to say I don't have a pair "on me" at all times.  And even in the same place that they were worn on the uniform in WWII...)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Senior

What an interesting thread.   I attended PJOC '91, APJOC '92 at Kirkland
AFB.  They had a smokejumpers (treejumping) suit in the history room of one of the Pararescue School buildings.  The PJ's said they all hated practicing the tree jumps because you always got hurt and beat up.  One of the Air Force Reserve pilots said he had flown SO missions doing tree jumps.  He said they released the jumpers with just enough altitude to open the  chutes, get two or three oscillations and then into the trees.  That really would be a hard landing.  I remember when they had a picture of  CAP Jump Wings in the old CAPNews.  They looked hand made.  The article stated they were from WW2.  It was an interesting article.  I can imagine all the bling that the CAP Parachutists would want to wear.  The HAWK people would of course have to have more bling to wear :-\.  Where would it end.  Also, the not so in shape SM would definitely have to jump and break both legs... Can you say Disability Claim. :'(

nesagsar

My dad was a CAP ranger in Michigan in the 1970's. Back then there wasnt a PJOC or a Hawk Mountain Ranger School.

I have his wings somewhere, if I can find them I will post a pic.

JC004

Quote from: nesagsar on March 28, 2008, 04:41:21 AM
My dad was a CAP ranger in Michigan in the 1970's. Back then there wasnt a PJOC or a Hawk Mountain Ranger School.

I have his wings somewhere, if I can find them I will post a pic.

There was definitely a hawk mountain in the 70s.

NIN

Quote from: JC004 on March 28, 2008, 02:07:00 PM
There was definitely a hawk mountain in the 70s.

Yeah, I think he meant "In the 1970s, before people went places other than their own wing, cuz, you know, it takes forever to get from Michigan to Pennsylvania via wagon train..."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP