Changes to OPSEC in April

Started by Major Carrales, December 04, 2007, 06:34:36 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on December 06, 2007, 01:21:52 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2007, 01:09:43 AM
Quote from: thp on December 06, 2007, 01:03:45 AM
I took the OPSEC a good while before it was required. It is fairly quick, and is a good idea for cadets. Especially the way some of them like to brag...

That's been my concern from day 1 about this - the exact members most likely to call mom, or text all their friends with "guess where I just saw Air Force 1", are the same members who were not required to complete the training.

But he already bragged about taking OPSEC training.  It can go both ways.

True - the NDA does not equal duct tape, however its also not fair to hold members responsible for something they have never indicated they understand.

If they nod their heads yes, then do something dumb (or dangerous), we have the means internally to address remediation, ranging from the 3000psi pointed finger all the way to revocation of ES qualifications and participation until attitudes are adjusted.

One can make the argument that OPSEC is just common sense, we all know how that goes, and if we've never told people specifically to "knock it off", its not fair to act as if we did .

My own experience on the common sense side includes a situation with an actual mission involving a missing aircraft.

We had a full mission base staff ramped up, including a fully qualified IO who was interacting appropriately with the local press - wasn't he flabbergasted to see someone with advanced grade on the phone with his private employer, who also turned out to be local media, giving specific details of the situation, the search area, etc.

This is in the early net days before Blackberries and universal texting, and was being done by an adult with 25+ years in CAP.

Heh, a finger was definitely pointed.

As to the issue of minors and an NDA, it might not be legally enforceable outside CAP, however I suppose an argument could be made that we already entrust our cadets with responsibilities about those of "regular" minors, and this is an extension of the responsibility.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

^ So can a CAP member be sued by NHQ for breach of the NDA?  Or would it fall into just being dismissed? 
What's up monkeys?

davedove

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2007, 06:40:47 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 06, 2007, 02:26:38 AM
Some transfers still require paper, like transferring in a Patron member.

Its not worth arguing about, but I just did some in the last couple of weeks without paper...

Right, you do have to use a form, but that form can be electronic.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 06, 2007, 06:54:19 PM
^ So can a CAP member be sued by NHQ for breach of the NDA?  Or would it fall into just being dismissed? 

They have to show monetary damages.

I suppose if NHQ were getting sued for damages, and the complaint stemmed from an internal breach of regulation, NHQ could either petition for dismissal and point at you, or come after the trial to recoup their losses.

IMHO it would have to be an extreme breach with big dollars.

Gets back to the whole "follow the rules to avoid liability nightmare scenarios we are always arguing about.

"That Others May Zoom"