Civil Air Patrol window decals

Started by afgeo4, August 28, 2007, 04:13:55 PM

mprokosch11

Both of my parents have the CAP widow decals on their car. I remember they bought them from the hock 2 years ago.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

mikeylikey

Quote from: Pylon on August 28, 2007, 08:34:32 PM
I'd much rather see window clings versus a sticker or decal.

Thats what they are, window clings, not stickers that come in those binders.  HEck, if you call NHQ I betcha could get some!
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

What I'd like to see are those front license plates with CAP wings on them.  They have them for the AF/Army/Navy, why not us?

(Because then Vanguard would be keeping customers satisfied, and THAT would violate the contract with NHQ!)
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

The old bookstore used to sell those.  Let me see if my buddy still has his, and is willing to part with it. 
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 28, 2007, 09:56:03 PM

Thats what they are, window clings, not stickers that come in those binders.  HEck, if you call NHQ I betcha could get some!
Clings as in static? I want actual clear sticker window strips like the Wisconsin Wing's pictured earlier in the thread, but I want one that just says U.S. Civil Air Patrol, without the MAJCOM.
GEORGE LURYE

pixelwonk

TankerT

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 29, 2007, 01:09:14 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on August 28, 2007, 09:56:03 PM

Clings as in static? I want actual clear sticker window strips like the Wisconsin Wing's pictured earlier in the thread, but I want one that just says U.S. Civil Air Patrol, without the MAJCOM.

You might be pushing your luck there.  There is the option of going underground and doing a production of them yourself.   ;D  Or ask Tom at the Hock?  Orrrrr, ask Vanguard, but I wouldn't stake my life on that.  Heck, the CAP item that I think is the most expensive in their inventory (the $300 CAP sword) isn't even on the web site.  What kind of business decision is THAT?

IceNine

We have a sword!?!?!?  I want it, Can I attach it to my cummerbund on my Mess Dress?  Is there an approved Zorro Training plan?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pylon

Yeah, I would also enjoy a rear-window strip with "Civil Air Patrol" or some such nonsense on there.  But it would be great if it were a static cling, rather than an adhesive decal.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

pixelwonk

Quote from: JC004 on August 29, 2007, 02:54:24 PM
Heck, the CAP item that I think is the most expensive in their inventory (the $300 CAP sword) isn't even on the web site.  What kind of business decision is THAT?

no pics... never existed.

Stonewall

Quote from: JC004 on August 29, 2007, 02:54:24 PMOrrrrr, ask Vanguard, but I wouldn't stake my life on that. 

Don't ask Vanguard.  I asked, since they now make CAP and Military badges, if they could make military badges in white on blue.  Their [emailed] response was "you aren't allowed to wear military badges on your CAP uniform".  Even after I cited the regulation stating that we could, they basically said I was wrong.

Yeah, bad idea.  Never go with Vanguard!

Underground, the only way to go.
Serving since 1987.

afgeo4

Quote from: Pylon on August 29, 2007, 03:00:33 PM

Yeah, I would also enjoy a rear-window strip with "Civil Air Patrol" or some such nonsense on there.  But it would be great if it were a static cling, rather than an adhesive decal.
I think there should be AUX ON and AUX OFF static decals. That way you can change them up.
GEORGE LURYE

JC004

Quote from: tedda on August 29, 2007, 03:01:15 PM
Heck, the CAP item that I think is the most expensive in their inventory (the $300 CAP sword) isn't even on the web site.  What kind of business decision is THAT?

Vanguard doesn't have pictures.  Basically, I believe they etched the Air Force sword with fun CAP stuff.  They're $300, item number CAP030, and they'll personalize it for another $20.  I was going to get one to wear around all the time (once an owed credit clears to my account, and I have more $).  Pineda was presented one last year at the Conference.  They had one at my wing conference last October, but I don't remember all the details - I was too busy being angry about money Vanguard owed me at the time.

afgeo4

Quote from: JC004 on August 29, 2007, 03:39:45 PM

Vanguard doesn't have pictures.  Basically, I believe they etched the Air Force sword with fun CAP stuff.  They're $300, item number CAP030, and they'll personalize it for another $20.  I was going to get one to wear around all the time (once an owed credit clears to my account, and I have more $).  Pineda was presented one last year at the Conference.  They had one at my wing conference last October, but I don't remember all the details - I was too busy being angry about money Vanguard owed me at the time.
Can we get a clarification please... The item is a Civil Air Patrol Sabre, not a sword, right? The USAF doesn't have a Sword, it has a Sabre.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 29, 2007, 03:42:13 PM
The USAF doesn't have a Sword, it has a Sabre.

Just because the AF calls it a sabre, doesn't mean it really is a sabre.

Definition of Sword vs. Saber:

The dictionary defines a sword as "a weapon consisting typically of a long, often straight or slightly curved, pointed blade, having one or two cutting edges, that is designed for thrusting or cutting."

The same dictionary defines a saber as "a heavy cavalry sword with a slightly curved blade, sharpened on one side, with a thick back edge and a hand guard."

Straight-blade pieces are swords:  the Army NCO Sword, the Navy Officer Sword, the Air Force Sword, and the Coast Guard Officer Sword.

Air Force Academy: Swords or Sabers

The Air Force Academy piece is technically a "sword" because it is straight and not curved. Since the USAFA was "spun off" from West Point when the USAF became a separate service around 1950, we believe the Air Force Academy "Saber" confusion is a result of the West Point confusion.

Other worthless info...

The spelling of "sabre" hails from the Old World and remains the European spelling. Early field manuals and writings from the 19th century in the U.S. also used the "Army Sabre" spelling. By the turn of the 20th century, U.S. manuals began to use the spelling of "saber".
Serving since 1987.

JohnKachenmeister

You guys are kidding about the sword, right?  I remember on another site we all got a laugh out of a photo of a CAP cadet with a sword.

Vanguard doesn't really sell a CAP sword, do they? 
Another former CAP officer

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 29, 2007, 03:42:13 PM
Quote from: JC004 on August 29, 2007, 03:39:45 PM

Can we get a clarification please... The item is a Civil Air Patrol Sabre, not a sword, right? The USAF doesn't have a Sword, it has a Sabre.

This is a sword.  UK's summary about covers it.  The AFA sword is the AF sword with AFA etching.  This is the same deal, IIRC.  For the record, I like sabers better.  Air Force sword:

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 29, 2007, 03:58:59 PM
You guys are kidding about the sword, right?  I remember on another site we all got a laugh out of a photo of a CAP cadet with a sword.

Vanguard doesn't really sell a CAP sword, do they? 

They exist!  I held one!  If a cadet buys the sword, said cadet should leave it at home and hang it somewhere nice.  If sold to a cadet, they should have a ribbon attached to them that says "DON'T FREAKING WEAR THIS."

Stonewall

From decals to swords...

In the Army, Officers carry Sabers and NCOs carry swords.

Well, they don't actually carry them around.  It's more of a ceremonial thing.

Army NCO (straight sword)

Army Officer (curved saber)
Serving since 1987.

afgeo4

Anyone know where one can get a CAP sword sticker? If not, know where I can get a CAP one?
GEORGE LURYE