Main Menu

Coast Guard Aux

Started by 0, August 24, 2007, 06:24:51 PM

Does anyone know anything much about the Coast Guard Aux? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Sgt. Savage

They are the auxilliary of the Coast Guard.... and they like boats >:D

MIKE

Mike Johnston

I meant other than they exist.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

They let you wear metal "grade" on hats and coats.  >:D
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on August 24, 2007, 06:35:29 PM

Where do I sign?!   ;)   >:D

MIKE

Mike Johnston

I saw they do SAR too.  I found a local floatilla and asked for information and I'm just waiting on a response.  I've also found out unlike us they aren't adressed with Millitary Grade names.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Quote from: MIKE on August 24, 2007, 06:38:42 PM
http://join.cgaux.org/index.html

Already seen that site.  Was kinda hoping someone here might have first or third hand knowledge.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

Well... What do you want to know... I'm just a lowly Flotilla Staff Officer.
Mike Johnston

What are the differences in the SAR training (other than they don't do ground teams)?

Is their parody for us with the grade we've earned in CAP if we join a Floatilla?

Do they provide people Flight Instruction?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 24, 2007, 06:45:28 PM
Is their parody for us with the grade we've earned in CAP if we join a Floatilla?

Heck no,  the insignia you wear is based on the position you currently hold... Or your highest past office.
Mike Johnston

Ok, so go in and start at the bottom then. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Skyray

No flight training, although in many locations they will allow you to offer your own aircraft for use, and reimburse you for gas, oil and maintenance.  There is a Coast Guard uniform called ODU that is made much like BDUs except they are very dark blue, and recently there was an edict that all rank on ODU had to be sew on.  All grade is elective or appointive office.  I for instance wear something that looks like a Navy Lieutenants stripes (shoulderboards) except they are silver with a blue "A" on the boards.  If anyone addresses me by rank (very seldom done) it is "Flotilla Commander."  There are several RCCs around the country, and the SMC (Sar Mission Coordinator) is always active duty Coast Guard.  We work much more closely with the Coast Guard than the CAP does with the Air Force.  And while it is possible to terminate (2B) a member of the Auxiliary, it can only be done with the concurrence of a Coast Guard Admiral.  They tend to look less at the politics of the situation, and more at the cost/benefit analysis. I.e., are you more productive than a PITA.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

With the SAR training here in CAP I'm a mission scanner would that help me at all with CGAux SAR?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Skyray

There is an MOU that says that scanner equals observer and observer equals "air crew" but as far as I know it has never been implemented.  I don't know what the air program situation in Boston is, but you would probably be better off just to do the Auxiliary Training.  In is not as structured as what you have seen in CAP.  A written test, egress training, a swim test, and a couple of seminars.  Plus a check list that varies with location.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Cool thanks. I'm thinking of joining a Flotilla up here in addition to staying in CAP. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Skyray

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 24, 2007, 07:26:45 PM
Cool thanks. I'm thinking of joining a Flotilla up here in addition to staying in CAP. 

It is big time different.  No cadet program, work directly with the Coat Guard, not much in the way of military protocol and courtesy.  Lots of training on boats.  Almost all their SAR work is maritime search.  You qualify for rescue, but most of the "rescue" is done by commercial salvors who you are required to call unless there is a threat to life or property.
Doug Johnson - Miami

RiverAux

CAP aircrew training will not transfer directly to the CG Aux.  The MOU "equivalency" only applies to situations where a CAP Scanner might serve on a CG Aux aircrew and in that situation the CG Aux will honor the CAP training that you are qualified to do that job.  But, if you join the CG Aux, you don't get "credit" for CAP training. 

For those who are in CGAux how long did the background check take?  Was it any shorter given you were in CAP already and have had one already run on you or do they do it any way?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

RiverAux

Background check has varied tremendously, the "basic" check, which is similar to CAP's, takes longer than CAP.  Two months would be very quick.  However, I have heard of situations where it has taken up to a year.  Usually those particular applications had some sort of "issue".  However, that was all during a time when they were trying to implement the check for all 30K members over a several year period and they were pretty overwhelmed.  Now that that is out of the way, it should be better.

Now, the more detailed CG Aux security check (basically the same as what happens when you join the military) can take six months easily.  But, it is only needed in certain situations. 

Which program do you find more satisfying?

In CGAux how often do you get out on the water?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

flyerthom

Quote from: JC004 on August 24, 2007, 06:36:05 PM

Lake Wallenpaupack
TC

flyerthom

TC

JC004

Quote from: flyerthom on August 24, 2007, 08:03:52 PM

Lake Wallenpaupack

joining the Coast Guard Auxiliary is on my list of things to do when I get time   :)

Quote from: JC004 on August 24, 2007, 08:07:54 PM

Where do I sign?!   ;)   >:D

Lake Wallenpaupack

joining the Coast Guard Auxiliary is on my list of things to do when I get time   :)

I think I'm going to be joining in the next month or so.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

flyerthom

Lake Wallenpaupack

joining the Coast Guard Auxiliary is on my list of things to do when I get time   :)

In all sue seriousness, there is a flotilla on Wallenpaupack. I would imagine there should be ones along the Delaware and Susquehanna.
TC

RiverAux

CAP is the program if you're really interested in SAR and the possibility of saving some lives -though it is still rare.  CG Aux is a lot better if you like to plan out your volunteer time and activities in advance and go do them.  With CAP you've got regular meetings, occassional SAREXs but for SAR you just have to wait until something bad happens. 

That is why I feel I can do both -- schedule my CG Aux activities and then wait for the CAP SAR calls.

JC004

Quote from: flyerthom on August 24, 2007, 08:58:08 PM

Lake Wallenpaupack

In all sue seriousness, there is a flotilla on Wallenpaupack. I would imagine there should be ones along the Delaware and Susquehanna.

There are three near me...been there a few times.  Largest freshwater port in the world is here, you know.   :)

I've got a descent amount of flotillas near me.  Kinda helps living in the Boston Area. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

flyerthom

Quote from: JC004 on August 25, 2007, 01:59:31 AM

Lake Wallenpaupack

There are three near me...been there a few times.  Largest freshwater port in the world is here, you know.   :)

Ah, opposite corner from where I grew up.

TC

sandman

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 24, 2007, 07:57:23 PM
Which program do you find more satisfying?

In CGAux how often do you get out on the water?

In district 11s (Southern California) we have many scheduled patrols on the water especially during the summer season! At times a coxwain (OIC of the boat) will put out a call to all local flotillas for available crew to help man the boat.

We'll always have vessel safety check (VSC) stations manned at dockside, ramp launches, etc. A new "dock-walker" program gets those members interested in walking around public, and with permission, private docks to observe for oil leaks, unsafe conditions, and always ready to give a VSC. This is the CGAUX "ground team".

If you have your PWC then get qualified as a personal watercraft ("jet-ski") coxwain and go on patrols with that!

Get qualified as a deck watch officer on a real USCG vessel! Go underway with a real USCG vessel!

Question is: how often do you want to go out on the water?

As far as satisfaction; depends on your needs. Both programs have great points and disappointments.

If you don't care for pushing cadet boots then the CGAUX has a great adult program, cooler bling, better uniforms, and much better relationship with it's parent organization.

If you want to work with cadets then CAP has the best mix for cadet and adult training. CAP has a better flight program.

CGAUX flight program is ok...they also want you to complete the "dunk tank" at NAS Pensicola (you get orders for that).

CAP politics are a bit....well....complex right now.......ok, it sux big time!

The majority of CGAUXers are old retired salts (but the demographics are sloooooowly........sloooowly changing).

CAP has a bigger budget...but poorly managed (my opinion).

CGAUX, with it's close ties to parent seems to get things done better (details vague and ambiguous but still my opinion).

So....how do you want to SPEND some of the free time of your LIFE?

What is important to you?

/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on August 25, 2007, 01:59:31 AM

Lake Wallenpaupack

ummm.....I don't know about that.  The largest inland freshwater port is Pittsburgh.  I also believe it is bigger than Philly.
What's up monkeys?

KFreeman

Flew with USCGAux as Air Crew out of Okeechobee, FL back in '98 & '99. Our assignments were usually from USCG Key West. Very long hot humid days with pilot, aircrewman and scanner plus all the ditching gear in a four place member owned Beech Musketeer flying just offshore.

I can tell you the aircrew exam was just short of an FAA private pilot. The survival training was top notch and was given at Opa Locka USCG station.

It was a good experience. I have a great deal of respect for USCGAux.

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

mikeylikey

The closest CG AUX unit is a "sea and air" unit.  Does tha mean they have flying boats, or wet airplanes?  Figuring I am not near an OCEAN for about 290 miles, is there anyone that is in a river unit?  Do you do the same things as those that are on the ocean?? 
What's up monkeys?

Slim

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 28, 2007, 04:44:50 AM
The closest CG AUX unit is a "sea and air" unit.  Does tha mean they have flying boats, or wet airplanes?  Figuring I am not near an OCEAN for about 290 miles, is there anyone that is in a river unit?  Do you do the same things as those that are on the ocean?? 

I wasn't in a river unit, but close.  I was on the Great (and one not-so-great) Lakes.  Our duties were the same as any other station.  Safety patrols, VSC, public education, and the occasional SAR.  In fact, our supported station AOR contains the highest concentration of recreational vessels in the state, if not the country.  There were days you could almost walk for miles and not get wet.  Plus, we had the added mission of ice rescue when the water got hard.  I've been out for a few years now, but we used to have a pretty active AUXAir program as well, with tasking from CGAS Detroit and CGAS Traverse City (which also supported an AIRDET in Muskegon).

Another benefit to being in a flotilla on the Great Lakes or a river is the possibility of AUXOP stations.  We had (still do, AFAIK) two stations in 9CR that were completely auxiliary operated, in Alpena and South Haven.  Each had a supervisor (usually a BM1) from another station, and a CG facility (used to be 25' Boston Whalers-and marked as USCG vessels), but all of the manpower was auxiliary members.  I don't know if they exsist elsewhere.

We also had aux members who participated in Summerstock programs.  This is a program that brings reservists and aux members into smaller stations during the heavy recreational boating season to augment the gold-side crew.  Typically a two week duty rotation, but some of them would stay up to six weeks or more.  There was also a member from my old division who was qualified as underway OOD on a 140' icebreaker, with a 120' AtoN barge (USCGC Bristol Bay), and would get underway with them quite frequently. 

Slim

Skyray

Until recently I was a command pilot in the Auxiliary.  I still am entitled to wear the wings, but I have gone out of currency as far as flying missions.  Sandman's comment that the Dilbert Dunker (egress training at Pensacola) was required was news to me, but the program is always changing and I think the Dunker is excellent training.  What is, and has been, required since our February 2001 fatal,  is "Spin and Puke," the spatial disorientation trainer that looks like the teacup ride at Disney World.  We were sent to that on Coast Guard reimbursable orders.  Transportation was furnished on a Coast Guard C-130 from Clearwater to Pensacola, and we were entitled to POV mileage to get to Clearwater.  Our mother service is not as wealthy as the Air Force, so we left Clearwater at the crack of dawn, spun, puked (those of who felt the need), did night vision training, and were back in Clearwater before dark.  Full day!
Doug Johnson - Miami

sandman

Quote from: Skyray on August 28, 2007, 02:18:01 PM
Until recently I was a command pilot in the Auxiliary.  I still am entitled to wear the wings, but I have gone out of currency as far as flying missions.  Sandman's comment that the Dilbert Dunker (egress training at Pensacola) was required was news to me, but the program is always changing and I think the Dunker is excellent training.  What is, and has been, required since our February 2001 fatal,  is "Spin and Puke," the spatial disorientation trainer that looks like the teacup ride at Disney World.  We were sent to that on Coast Guard reimbursable orders.  Transportation was furnished on a Coast Guard C-130 from Clearwater to Pensacola, and we were entitled to POV mileage to get to Clearwater.  Our mother service is not as wealthy as the Air Force, so we left Clearwater at the crack of dawn, spun, puked (those of who felt the need), did night vision training, and were back in Clearwater before dark.  Full day!

Doug, my apologies. The "Dilbert Dunker" was on my mind when I actually wanted to state "egress training". Pensacola is one site to receive the training. Here is from Department of Operations: Aviation Program (emphasis added);

Quote from: Aux Air Ops
Currency Maintenance Tasks for All Flight Crew Members
Auxiliary Operations Policy Manual, Chapter 2, Section C

All Auxiliary pilots,  air crew, and observers must meet the following applicable requirements to maintain certification:

Annual training in emergency egress must include at least a lecture on basic principles, use of related equipment, and the required preflight briefing for the types of aircraft in use.
Before the first flight as an air crew member in an Auxiliary aircraft operating offshore under orders, and then as an annual requirement, each crew member must swim 75 yards and the successfully demonstrate entry into a waterborne life raft.  Crew members may wear an inflated PFD during the swim.  They must receive instruction in water survival techniques and the use of all survival equipment onboard the aircraft.  Subject to availability, Auxiliarists may make use of available Coast Guard personnel, equipment, and facilities in meeting the requirements of this paragraph.  Auxiliary aviators are also encourages to take part in Shallow Water Egress Training (SWET) when available and provided by the air station.
NOTE: Life rafts used in the swim test should be of the same type as carried aboard Auxiliary or Coast Guard aircraft.

Pilots and Air Crew must annually attend an air safety workshop conducted for Auxiliary Air Crew members by a Coast Guard air station or a Commandant (G-OCX-2) or Commandant (G-WKS-1) representative or approved instructor.  The instructor must use a syllabus approved by the cognizant air station.  This annual Auxiliary aviation workshop shall include the following agenda items:

Aeromedical facts for pilots and air crew.

Crew resource management (CRM) and aeronautical decision-making principles.

Selected excerpts from the FAR and the Aeronautical Information Manual pertinent to Auxiliary aviation.

Aviation subject matter pertinent to the district location.

Observers

Observers should annually attend an air safety workshop, which may be part of the pilot and air crew workshop, or may be specific observer-oriented workshops covering similar agenda items.  Instructors are encouraged to develop Observer training items for workshops that are portable and concise, and which may be combined with the required annual swim test and egress training.

The "Dilbert Dunker" or "helo dunker" or what is actually known as the "Modular Amphibious Egress Trainer" (MAET) is not "required" but is highly "encouraged".

For MAET info: http://www.survivalsystemsgroup.com/index.html

BTW, the "Dilbert Dunkers" have been retired (in favor of the "helo dunkers") with one on display at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola  http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org

Hope that clears it a bit.

v/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Skyray

Wow!  Now my favorite military carnival ride is displayed in a museum.  Getting old sucks!
Doug Johnson - Miami

How often do your flotillas meet?  Is it just once a month?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

afgeo4

I don't have any experience with boats or on boats and there's no air unit anywhere close... how good is the CGAux training program? Do they assume you know nothing? How receptive are Flotilla COs to people like that that want to become members?

My background in CAP is mostly cadet programs and some, mostly planning of ES and recruiting.
GEORGE LURYE

MIKE

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 30, 2007, 02:11:32 PM
How often do your flotillas meet?  Is it just once a month?

Mine is once a month.  Some others have the monthly business meeting and then additional meetings for member training.  There are also divison (think group in CAP) and district (regionish) actvities throughout the year.

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 30, 2007, 02:29:19 PM
I don't have any experience with boats or on boats and there's no air unit anywhere close... how good is the CGAux training program? Do they assume you know nothing? How receptive are Flotilla COs to people like that that want to become members?

It depends... If your flotilla basically leaves you to fend for yourself with no mentor, it can be daunting.  For me personally I know very little about boats... I own a kayak.  I'm finding it difficult to get started in one of the program areas... I do mostly admin at the flotilla.  As far as recruitment, that depends also.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

I think once a month is fairly standard for CG Aux. 

MajorSER

Ours is in SW Florida.  One week is our Staff Meeting. The next week is our Regular Flotilla Meeting. The Saturday following that is our Fellowship Breakfast. Then spread out through the Month are training classes.
Lt. Col. David Crockwell MLO
FC 07-09-08
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Я был там как солдатом