Regulations regarding the wear of boots and cufflinks in Class A and B uniform

Started by FalconFury243, February 25, 2019, 12:49:37 AM

FalconFury243

According to CAPM 39-1, "Dress Boots" and "Combat Boots" are authorized for wear on the Male Class A, and Class B (Long and Short Sleeve). Would you wear them like normal shoes, or do you blouse them like boots? Asking for a friend. Also about cufflinks, forgive my ignorance. But would they go on the sleeve of the service coat?. If so how would that work. 39-1 is very vague on it.

Thanks in advance!

Eclipse

You wear them like normal shoes, cleaned and shined as appropriate.

Cuff links of the appropriate style would only be worn on a dress blues shirt that has french cuffs, not the jacket.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2019, 01:01:47 AM
Cuff links of the appropriate style would only be worn on a dress blues shirt that has french cuffs barrel cuffs and a button hole alongside the button, not the jacket.

FTFY

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

I won't even ask why you're wearing CAP blues at 0950 on a Sunday (we all have our things),
but are "french" cuffs the ones that double over then?

Is that a custom shirt or do they all have the extra hole?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2019, 01:48:30 AM
I won't even ask why you're wearing CAP blues at 0950 on a Sunday (we all have our things),

Yes.

Some shirts have the extra holes, many these days do not. Mine are about 50/50.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

That photo is from 2016.

All of the USAF long sleeve blues shirts I own have an extra buttonhole [Edit: Fixed. surprised spell check didn't catch it. -Nin] up next to the button on the cuff. So you can use cufflinks.

I *always* wear cufflinks.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on February 25, 2019, 02:12:54 AM
That photo is from 2016.

All of the USAF long sleeve blues shirts I own have an extra buttonhole [Edit: Fixed. surprised spell check didn't catch it. -Nin] up next to the button on the cuff. So you can use cufflinks.

:clap:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Cufflinks are boss. I always rock the cufflinks with the Hap Arnold emblem. IF you are going to wear them, wear them with the insides of the cuff flat together, as NIN shows. DO NOT wear them with the outer cuff edge over the inner like you do with the buttons. It looks absurd.

Menswear is something of a hobby of mine. The cuffs on the blue shirt are properly termed convertible cuffs, meaning they can be worn with buttons as a barrel cuff or with cufflinks as what is correctly a single cuff. French cuffs have a fold back, as seen on the mess dress shirt. This is derived from the days when your cuffs (and collar) would be detachable for laundering and would slide on over the sleeve body and be attached with the links going through all four layers of cuff and the single layer of the sleeve fabric. A single cuff was traditionally used on formal (meaning white tie) shirts with detached cuffs, collars and fronts that were boiled and highly starched. A proper white tie formal shirt should still have a single cuff as well as a stiff, wing collar and stiff pique or marcella front, rather than French cuffs, a turndown collar and pleated front which is the appropriate shirt for semi-formal, black tie wear. You all now more than you ever cared to about shirts. You're welcome.

Combat boots with blues are worn unbloused and I think they look silly. About the only time I've worn them is when it's inclement weather outside and I want the extra traction and protection afforded by my boots.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Eclipse

I should have expected no less.

I would imagine those are also "vintage" and difficult to get. These are the current ones from VG,
and FWIW, I don't hate them.

I've always liked shirts with cuff links, there was a time when they were almost daily drivers and I
had quite a few, but these days the numbers of times I wear long sleeves, let alone a dress shirt,
even for CAP, is probably single digits, so dies another tradition.

"That Others May Zoom"

HandsomeWalt_USMC

I don't hate them either! Might snag a pair with my next vanguard order. They're a [darn] sight better than the stylized wing and star links, but not as cool as the Hap Arnold's. I do like to have options with my flair!
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Mitchell 1969

That photo is from 2016.

You might want to edit that. You dropped one letter and are now one letter away from inducing mirth and loud guffaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

NIN

Dooh!!

Thanks for the point out, guys. Clumsy me.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2019, 01:48:30 AM

Its probably a "CAP Sunday" from long ago, given that its the old design links, and he's wearing a watch.  ALL of my long sleeve shirts have the two hole pattern, but they are all from active duty long ago.

I think the long sleeve shirt is currently the oldest surviving piece of the uniform.  The design of the short sleeve changed while I was on AD in the 1980's, but the long sleeve shirt has to go back to at least 1974 as I remember that being introduced when I was a cadet.  Unlike the jacket & pants, the color has never changed.

If I'm planning to have the service coat on most of the time I wear links.  If not I don't, as they tend to hang up in the knit cuffs of the zip up jacket.

And to add a new spin on this - does anyone have long sleeve aviator shirts with French cuffs?