CAP helps to test D.C. pilot warning system

Started by Pylon, May 25, 2005, 08:55:59 PM

Pylon

I gleaned this news release from the National website (cap.gov):

MAXWELL AFB, Ala. — Civil Air Patrol's National Capital Wing is helping the Air Force test its new Visual Warning System (VWS) for pilots, a security measure set to become operational over the Washington, D.C. area on May 21.

The system signals pilots who fly into the D.C. area's "no-fly" zones with low-level laser beams in an alternating red-red-green light sequence. Any pilots who receive the warning must immediately contact Air Traffic Control and fly their aircraft out of the no-fly zone.       

The ground-based Visual Warning System was developed by the U.S. Air Force North American Defense Command (NORAD), in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office. The lasers are eye-safe and non-hazardous at all ranges.

CAP, the all-volunteer civilian auxiliary of the Air Force, is scheduled for missions on May 21. CAP will use its low and slow-flying aircraft to pose as intruders into the no-fly zones near the nation's capital. Most of the aircraft in CAP's single-engine fleet of 550 are single-engine Cessnas similar to the one that drifted into Washington's no-fly zone Tuesday and spurred evacuations throughout the capital city.

"This week we saw exactly what can happen when a pilot flies into an unauthorized zone in the D.C. area," said Maj. Gen. Dwight Wheless, CAP national commander. "Any such intrusion not only is a safety issue, but is also disruptive for thousands of people who live and work in the nation's capital. This new Visual Warning System will give pilots immediate feedback when they are straying into a no-fly zone, and will be a valuable new tool in our country's homeland defense program."

CAP has been working with 1st Air Force for several years, and signed an official Memorandum of Understanding in October 2004. Under the agreement, 1st Air Force considers the use of CAP air and ground capabilities as an option for any of its non-combat missions.

"Our volunteer members are proud to be a resource for 1st Air Force, NORAD and U.S. Northern Command," Wheless said. "It's a privilege to assist in the testing and deployment of NORAD's new Visual Warning System, knowing we're making a positive impact on security for the nation's capital.

Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, is a nonprofit organization with almost 60,000 members nationwide. CAP performs 95 percent of continental U.S. inland search and rescue missions as tasked by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center. Its volunteers also perform homeland security, disaster relief and counterdrug missions at the request of federal, state and local agencies. The members take a leading role in aerospace education and serve as mentors to the almost 25,000 young people currently participating in CAP cadet programs. CAP has been performing missions for America for more than 60 years.

I wonder how well the system works, and if it really can immediately catch the attention of a pilot?   ....and if it can convey the message to the pilot to re-evaluate where they are without further explanation.

Quite nifty that CAP is one of the agencies testing out the system though.  Washington seems very fearful of those little Cessnas.   :D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

If it were me I would be like:  "Neat laser light show."  And continue on my merry way.  I don't get how this laser system alone can be interpreted by everyone, particularly uninformed people as a warning signal.

What we need is to install missile warning systems in all GA aircraft that will have lights and a B******* Betty to inform the pilot that he has been painted, locked on and fired at.  There should be sometihing on the panel that lets the pilot know that he is about to get "Lit up" by an AIM-9 fired from that F-16 at his six o' clock.

"Missile... Missile... Missile"

Then once you lock him up you flame 'em with a burst of 20 mike mike and save the taxpayers some coin.

Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on May 25, 2005, 09:39:59 PM
If it were me I would be like:  "Neat laser light show."  And continue on my merry way.  I don't get how this laser system alone can be interpreted by everyone, particularly uninformed people as a warning signal.

What we need is to install missile warning systems in all GA aircraft that will have lights and a B******* Betty to inform the pilot that he has been painted, locked on and fired at.  There should be sometihing on the panel that lets the pilot know that he is about to get "Lit up" by an AIM-9 fired from that F-16 at his six o' clock.

Then once you lock him up you flame 'em with a burst of 20 mike mike and save the taxpayers some coin.

Haha.  :D

Although, I don't think your average good ol' boy pilot would know what to do, either, if his cockpit lit up like a christmas tree and suddenly a computerized female voice was announcing calmy a missle lock on his aircraft.  ;D

I don't think the light shows are going to help too much.  If the pilot is mis-informed enough to be flying straight into the heart of the D.C. no-fly zone, then he or she certainly didn't read the NOTAM about what these multi-colored lights mean.

I think increased pilot education is the only thing that will solve this problem.

pixelwonk

Quote from: MIKE on May 25, 2005, 09:39:59 PM

You'd have the GA pilots getting the "TOP GUN Cougar" syndrome...

"Hey Mav... We got a little problem up here.  That F-16 really screwed him up.  I don't think he can make it back to the FBO."  8)

Major_Chuck

I saw it on the DC news about three weeks ago.  Flashing green light.  Real pretty.

Not as effective as a couple of F16's off your wing tips and a Black Hawk helicopter with a machine gun aimed at you but probably more cost effective and 'friendlier' (for the politically correct).

;D
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pylon

Quote from: Major_Chuck on May 25, 2005, 11:45:19 PM
I saw it on the DC news about three weeks ago.  Flashing green light.  Real pretty.

Not as effective as a couple of F16's off your wing tips and a Black Hawk helicopter with a machine gun aimed at you but probably more cost effective and 'friendlier' (for the politically correct).

;D

Friendlier?

Either way, if you cross that line, you'll be getting tackled to the ground and handcuffed when you make your landing anyways.   ::)