Main Menu

Cadetstuff down?

Started by Yoda, May 25, 2005, 12:36:11 PM

Yoda

I can't seem to log onto CS, or rather, I can't seemed to find CS.  What's up, Doc?

dwb

Quote from: Yoda on May 25, 2005, 12:36:11 PM
I can't seem to log onto CS, or rather, I can't seemed to find CS.  What's up, Doc?

Network hiccups at the sooper sekrit location where the CadetStuff server resides.  I had the same problem, both last night and this morning.  Seems like the subnet that the CadetStuff server resides on is unreachable, for whatever reason.

I suspect the box itself is happily running, wondering where all the traffic is. :)

Jordan

I agree with the person I just sent this too... this should so be illegal.

But, bestest of luck to whoever is in charge of fixing this :-)

dwb

The official scoop: The hardware that hosts CadetStuff (and a variety of other web sites) was moved behind a firewall this morning, unbeknownst to us.  They refuse to move the box outside of the firewall.

So, our heroic sys admin Dano (not to be confused with that dirty bum Dano that deleted the forum posts last year) worked his tail off to move all the web sites hosted on that hardware to another piece of hardware that is outside the firewall.

Everything is done, no data was lost since the server was running along just fine the whole time.  We're just waiting for the DNS servers to catch up.  Give it another 2-24 hours depending on your ISP and you should be square.

Sorry for the inconvenience, it caught us by surprise, too!

Pylon

Well, on the bright side, maybe the short downtime at CadetStuff will encourage some people to check out CAPTalk and some of the other CAP Blogs and websites out there.   ;)

Well - one can hope, right?   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Greg

C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Pylon

Quote from: Greg on May 26, 2005, 02:53:11 AM
Quote from: MIKE on May 26, 2005, 02:49:57 AM
It's back up!  :)

Life may continue as normal! 8)

And CAPTalk traffic falls dramatically.  ;)

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on May 26, 2005, 03:14:44 AM
Quote from: Greg on May 26, 2005, 02:53:11 AM
Quote from: MIKE on May 26, 2005, 02:49:57 AM
It's back up!  :)

Life may continue as normal! 8)

And CAPTalk traffic falls dramatically.  ;)

Yeah... That was implied.  CAPTalk is cool though.  ;)
Mike Johnston

MIKE

I think it's down again.  I'm getting some kind of critical error page.  It went down when I was browsing threads... When I went to log out I got the error.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on June 20, 2005, 08:42:41 PM
I think it's down again.  I'm getting some kind of critical error page.  It went down when I was browsing threads... When I went to log out I got the error.

Yep.  Our traffic is always up when CS is down.   ;D

Looks like it's a problem with one of the tables and they've got the forums in Debug mode (attempting to fix it).

It doesn't look like the kind of error that would erase any post data, so shouldn't be any significant worries.  I'm sure it'll be back in due time.  In the meantime, enjoy the new flow of traffic to CAPTalk.  :D

whatevah

it'll be easy to fix, don't worry, it's only a minor problem.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MIKE

Quote from: whatevah on June 20, 2005, 10:40:59 PM
it'll be easy to fix, don't worry, it's only a minor problem.

Famous last words?  ;D
Mike Johnston

whatevah

this error happens a lot with the configuration that CS uses, but they can usually stop it before it gets this far.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Schmidty06

Now watch, within the next few hours, the CS staff will be announcing the Great Data Dump, Part 3.

jk, lol

Pylon

Quote from: Schmidty06 on June 20, 2005, 11:26:15 PM
Now watch, within the next few hours, the CS staff will be announcing the Great Data Dump, Part 3.

jk, lol

Nah, it's back already.  :)

MIKE

Cadetstuff is down again I think.
Mike Johnston

pixelwonk

Inside sources say they're having DNS issues.

shorning

Quote from: tedda on July 26, 2005, 03:23:45 AM
Inside sources say they're having DNS issues.

"Donut Non-replenishment Symptoms"?

pixelwonk

Well, looks like CS has been having DNS problems all day.  I'm surprised the CAPtalk traffic-o-meter isn't pegged to the limit  today.  ;)