Lightweight ABU uniform

Started by deepblue1947, May 13, 2018, 02:45:20 AM

deepblue1947

Where is the best place to buy the lightweight ABU uniform.  Is the one from Vanguard light or winter weight?

Thank you
MG

kwe1009

There is not lightweight and winter weight versions of the ABU.  There was the original issue (the ones that have a map pocket inside the shirt) and the newer rip stop version.  The rip stop version replaced the old version so it is the only one being sold now.

J2H

There are heavier weigh ones than others.  I had the one with the map pocket that was too heavy, and the one without... The ones I have now are heavy weight with no pockets... check Ebay
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

deepblue1947

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 13, 2018, 02:48:46 AM
There is not lightweight and winter weight versions of the ABU.  There was the original issue (the ones that have a map pocket inside the shirt) and the newer rip stop version.  The rip stop version replaced the old version so it is the only one being sold now.

deepblue1947

Let me clarify my question.  Our wing was given a bunch of ABUs by the Air Force a few years ago.  They are HEAVY and we are in the deep south.  They will make you sweat like mule.  I am trying to find a source for the "new" lighter weight ripstop ABU uniform.  Is the one that Vanguard sells the lighter weight than the older versions?  Or is there a better source?

Thank you
MG

hamburgee

Yup! My post above is the lightweight version. They're a bit expensive, though, being from a commercial vendor.

abdsp51

Quote from: deepblue1947 on May 13, 2018, 03:15:53 AM
Let me clarify my question.  Our wing was given a bunch of ABUs by the Air Force a few years ago.  They are HEAVY and we are in the deep south.  They will make you sweat like mule.  I am trying to find a source for the "new" lighter weight ripstop ABU uniform.  Is the one that Vanguard sells the lighter weight than the older versions?  Or is there a better source?

Thank you
MG

The ripstop will make you sweat like a mule as well.  Maybe more emphasis on hydration and heat injuries...

hamburgee

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 13, 2018, 03:52:14 AM

Thank you
MG

The ripstop will make you sweat like a mule as well.  Maybe more emphasis on hydration and heat injuries...
That too. Wearing lightweight ABUs, while better than wearing the heavier ones, won't necessarily keep you from getting sweaty/overheating. Hydration is power!

kwe1009

Thank you
MG

I can't speak for what VG sells but what your Wing (and the rest of CAP) got from the USAF was their surplus pile of original ABUs.  They have not been manufactured for at least 5 years as far as I can tell.

deepblue1947

Thanks to all for the replies.   Hydration is something we practice and take serious in Southern Louisiana.

MG

CAPLTC

"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

hamburgee

Quote from: CAPLTC on May 13, 2018, 01:18:38 PM
Those cost as much as the actual issue version, purchased via MCSS ... and they are much lower quality.

Quote from: hamburgee on May 13, 2018, 03:11:26 AM
ABU Cap
ABU Coat (Men's) ABU Coat (Women's)
ABU Pants (Men's) ABU Pants (Women's)
Interesting... My BDUs which I've bought from them are top notch. Same goes for everyone else I know who's bought them.

Come to think of it, though, I did have the chance to do laundry for a certain officer at NESA and his ABUs from Propper didn't look so hot... Strange, I'd expect better knowing how great all of my BDUs from them are.

foo

Quote from: hamburgee on May 14, 2018, 01:47:52 PM
Quote from: CAPLTC on May 13, 2018, 01:18:38 PM
Those cost as much as the actual issue version, purchased via MCSS ... and they are much lower quality.

Quote from: hamburgee on May 13, 2018, 03:11:26 AM
ABU Cap
ABU Coat (Men's) ABU Coat (Women's)
ABU Pants (Men's) ABU Pants (Women's)
Interesting... My BDUs which I've bought from them are top notch. Same goes for everyone else I know who's bought them.

Come to think of it, though, I did have the chance to do laundry for a certain officer at NESA and his ABUs from Propper didn't look so hot... Strange, I'd expect better knowing how great all of my BDUs from them are.

In addition to the poly blend ABUs, Propper also makes a 100% cotton version that I would not expect to hold up very well, especially with a lot of washing over time.