Latest Civil Air Patrol Aircraft Fleet Changes/ Developments

Started by jfkspotting, April 28, 2018, 01:48:35 AM

jfkspotting

Any News of the aircraft fleet? In particular, the Cessna 185/GA-8?

Any recent deliveries/developments or changes we will see in the coming months?

NIN

5 new 172s and 3 new 182s accepted into the fleet last week.

With aircraft currently on the books, minus the aircraft currently for sale and in refurb/heavy mx, the "available for missions" fleet is right at 551.

Thats it for changes and developments.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

DrJbdm

I wish they would nix the 172s and just go straight 182s. It's a much better airframe for what needs to be done.

etodd

Quote from: DrJbdm on May 04, 2018, 09:56:22 PM
I wish they would nix the 172s and just go straight 182s. It's a much better airframe for what needs to be done.

Negative.

Our squadron was offered a brand new C-182/G1000 a few months ago, and we all decided to keep the 2015 C-172/G1000 we have. We have two Cadets in flight training and another about to start. And Seniors doing IFR training, etc.   The 172 is cheaper and better for this type of training.

With the cheaper self-pay rate, we fly more C12 flights than most and always are at the top of our Wing in plane utilization.

We looked at our typical missions over the last few years and we never had to say no to one due to equipment. Sure the comfort of the 182 would have been nice. But doesn't outweigh the other factors above at all.

Each squadron has different needs.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

That depends on where you are. Out west, it's all 182 because of the tall dirt. Farther east, the 172 can be a better option - cheaper to fly, and better for flight academies. Cadet lessons in a 182 are more complicated all the way around.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

We have just one 172 in my wing and its in high demand for all the aforementioned reasons.

Our tall dirt ain't that tall.  172 does just fine
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.