Cadet Aerospace Officer

Started by Capmonkey, March 26, 2018, 02:44:12 PM

Capmonkey

Hey, guys.
     I've got a quick question. I have a cadet in my squadron that is very passionate about Aerospace, yet is only a C/A1C. Is there any way to make him Aerospace Cadet Officer for the squadron? Looking through the Cadet Staff Handbook, there is such a position, but the minimum grade starts at C/2d Lt. I'd appreciate any help, and was just wondering. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Capmonkey

Eclipse

Quote from: Capmonkey on March 26, 2018, 02:44:12 PMIs there any way to make him Aerospace Cadet Officer for the squadron?

Yes - when the cadet attains the indicated grade, he can be appointed to the role.  There's a reason
these grades are indicated.

Until then, and especially during Phase I, his focus needs to be on the training to be a good cadet
and NCO.  Giving cadets responsibility they are not prepared for takes them off the followership - leadership
track which is intended to impart phase-appropriate lessons.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

I checked to see what eServices would allow with a couple of test cases:

In the Personnel/Duty Assignment/Cadet Assignment module, the module will not allow a C/A1C to be assigned a duty. This completely is in line with the program of record, as Eclipse correctly puts it forward. Keep them focused on their individual responsibilities and growth path, with the promise that advanced grade brings with it rewards.

In the same module, the module will allow a C/SSGT to be assigned duties in the functional area of "NCO Support" as the Cadet Aerospace Education NCO. The system gives a red advisory message that the position requires the grade of C/SSGT or above.

In the same module, similar results for a C/2LT and above, where the module will allow a C/2LT and above to be appointed as C/AEO under Cadet Officer Support.

All this falls in line with the program.

V/r
Spam

(Now, if only we could get them to fix eServices to allow duly appointed cadet staff to access the reports they need to do their defined jobs)!

NC Hokie

Quote from: Capmonkey on March 26, 2018, 02:44:12 PM
     I've got a quick question. I have a cadet in my squadron that is very passionate about Aerospace, yet is only a C/A1C. Is there any way to make him Aerospace Cadet Officer for the squadron? Looking through the Cadet Staff Handbook, there is such a position, but the minimum grade starts at C/2d Lt. I'd appreciate any help, and was just wondering. Thanks.

Eclipse and Spam have given you good advice, which I hope to add to.

As a Phase I cadet, your C/A1C's only "job" is to become a good cadet. This means focusing on his own advancement through Phase I and possibly serving as an element leader responsible for a few junior cadets.

That said, the goal of the cadet program is to develop leaders, and stifling a potential leader because he or she cannot be appointed to an official position is a disservice to everyone.

If this were one of my cadets, I'd talk to the squadron AEO about using him to assist with the execution of local aerospace education activities. When he enters Phase II, he'd be appointed as Cadet Aerospace Education NCO and tasked with the full execution of activities planned by the Aerospace Education staff. At Phase III, the focus as Cadet Aerospace Education Officer would then shift to planning and supervising those activities.

This progression can be applied to any subject a cadet is passionate about (aerospace, drill, emergency services, etc.), allowing the cadet to develop as a leader within the existing structure of the cadet program. If done right, this will lead to stronger individual cadets as well as a strong local cadet program.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Capmonkey

Thanks so much, NC Hokie! I love this advice the most. I'll do that. Thanks for your help.

Pace

With the right cadet (based on the judgement of an experienced senior officer), a cadet airmen can certainly help the AEO out if that is what the cadet is passionate about. I've done it quite successfully before, but I cherry-picked only appropriate cadets based on skill, maturity, and initiative. For example, this cadet could help teach part of an AE lesson for any module that he has successfully completed. If he has completed the rocketry program, he can help teach this. If not, he can help the AEO plan one.

If the cadet does not have any experience with planning activities or lessons, is not mature, doesn't follow instructions, is not a strong self-starter and task finisher, let him learn these skills and become an NCO or officer first (hopefully learning the requisite character and skills along the way).
Lt Col, CAP

TheSkyHornet

Keep in mind the difference between appointing someone to a duty and having them help out in an unofficial capacity---

On one end, you have a cadet who wants to get involved. Okay, have them help teach some classes, or set up and run the flight simulator, or brief current events....whatever it is you think they can aid with. That's not an issue so much.

What becomes a problem is when you assign someone to an official duty and expect that person to have the knowledge, experience, and self-discipline to execute that duty and its associated tasks. Now you've established accountability. If you're going to expect them to prepare something, it should be in line with their job. You don't want to say "Okay, plan out a class," and then, if they don't meet the deadline, chastise them for it.

Being an assistant is an opportunity get some experience and grow. But you have to watch assigning inappropriate tasks to someone who not only may not have that experience, but doesn't hold the written responsibility for that function.