Senior Member New Member Uniform

Started by teenyphilly, March 10, 2018, 12:57:27 AM

teenyphilly

I have completed my first 3 meetings at CAP and according to my Commander, I am waiting for HQ to finish processing my clearances before I can be issued my uniform and etc.  When I get my uniform I heard from a fellow senior member that even though I will be a senior member, I will only be given BDU's like the cadets. (I'm 19 and will be a flight officer). However my commander had said I would be considered a senior member rather than a cadet.
My question is, am I eligible to wear the new ABU's? Is this only an option if I purchase the ABU's out of my own pocket? I would much prefer ABU's compared to the BDU's.

TIA.

abdsp51

As long as you meet the Height/Weight and grooming standards you can purchase ABUs and wear them.  However the minimum uniform you are required to have is either the AF blues or the Grey/White combo. 

If you don't meet those standards then you can only wear the Grey/White and Blue BDU uniform.  You should download the uniform manual and read it.  It is CAPR39-1

Eclipse

If you are over the age of 19 years of age or older, you must join as a Senior Member.

The Civil Air Patrol, as an organization, does not issue uniforms to any members, cadets or seniors.
What it does is provide a $100 voucher towards purchase of required items, redemmable at
the official uniform supplier, Vanguard, to cadets after they have completed their first achievement (Curry / 1 stripe).

All members are responsible for the purchase and configuration of their own uniforms, be they work or dress variants.

Some units have a stock of various uniform items, parts, and insignia, which they can issue to members as the local commander
sees fit.  These are neither consistent, nor required.

Anything not provided to you must be purchased at your expense, and may be tax deductible under certain circumstances.

As mentioned, if you meet height, weight, and grooming specifications you may wear the CAP USAF-Style variants, otherwise
only the corporate equivalents are an option.

As also mentioned, the minimum basic uniform (MBU) is the short sleeve bles or whites, based on your ability / desire to
wear one or the other.

This should all be explained to you during your Level 1 training, and can be further clarified by the mentor who the Commander
is required to appoint for you.

"That Others May Zoom"

Geber

In terms of expense, a big item to consider is outerwear. If you wear the corporate uniform (aviation shirt or polo shirt with grey slacks, or blue BDU) you can wear any conservative coat with it. If you wear a USAF style uniform, you're expected to wear outerwear that meets the uniform standard.

bradkenny

Quote from: teenyphilly on March 10, 2018, 12:57:27 AM
I have completed my first 3 meetings at CAP and according to my Commander, I am waiting for HQ to finish processing my clearances before I can be issued my uniform and etc.  When I get my uniform I heard from a fellow senior member that even though I will be a senior member, I will only be given BDU's like the cadets. (I'm 19 and will be a flight officer). However my commander had said I would be considered a senior member rather than a cadet.
My question is, am I eligible to wear the new ABU's? Is this only an option if I purchase the ABU's out of my own pocket? I would much prefer ABU's compared to the BDU's.

TIA.
BDUs aren't solely for cadets, nor are ABUs strictly for seniors.  Both can wear either (provided those over 18 meet H/W and grooming) until the BDU phase-out.  Anyone senior can also elect to wear the corporate blue in the field, as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on March 10, 2018, 02:01:14 AM
If you are over the age of 19 18, you must join as a Senior Member.

FTFY. At 18, you can join as either cadet or senior; at 19 you must join as a senior.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on March 10, 2018, 02:34:03 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 10, 2018, 02:01:14 AM
If you are over the age of 19 18, you must join as a Senior Member.

FTFY. At 18, you can join as either cadet or senior; at 19 you must join as a senior.

Fixed what?  What I said is correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Correct, but incomplete. Your statement implied that people joining at 19 can be cadets. That is incorrect. "Over 19" means 20+. The reg doesn't use that language, because it can cause confusion.

Quote from: CAPR 39-22.2 Requirements for Initial Membership. All applicants for cadet membership must meet the following prerequisites:
2.2.1. Twelve years of age through 18 years of age.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"Over the age of 19", means "over the age of 19", which someone who is "19", is one second after their 19th
birthday.

It implies nothing more then literally exactly what I said, neither incorrect, nor incomplete.

And seriously, this was worth three unrelated orbits?

"That Others May Zoom"

Fester

In commonly accepted vernacular, "over the age of 19" means 20 or older. 
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

etodd

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 10, 2018, 01:45:58 AM

.... the minimum uniform you are required to have is either the AF blues or the Grey/White combo. 

"Have" being the operative word. Buy it, to fulfill the regs, and stick it in the closet. Then get you a polo shirt and gray pants, be more comfortable.  No starching, ironing, inspections, or fuss. ;)

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Fester

Quote from: etodd on March 10, 2018, 04:40:05 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on March 10, 2018, 01:45:58 AM

.... the minimum uniform you are required to have is either the AF blues or the Grey/White combo. 

"Have" being the operative word. Buy it, to fulfill the regs, and stick it in the closet. Then get you a polo shirt and gray pants, be more comfortable.  No starching, ironing, inspections, or fuss. ;)

Was just waiting for you to chime in with your .02 about that ugly, overpriced polo.  :D
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Pace

Asked. Answered. Drifted. Locked.
*click*
Lt Col, CAP