Parents Club - rules, templates, ideas, suggestions?

Started by OldGuy, February 20, 2018, 02:44:45 PM

OldGuy

Any and all ideas welcome, looking to get one started.

Ozzy

Have them join as a cadet sponsor. A big problem squadrons have is a lack of seniors able to do activities. If one parent for each cadet joins just to assist every now and then at an activity, squadrons would be able to run more smoothly. The cost would be minimal and training is just level 1.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Jester

It honestly sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Larry Mangum

Even though. I personally think that they often cause more problems then they are worth, take a look at CAPR 173-4, section C subsection 15, which is on Booster Clubs.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

cnitas

We have a quarterly parent meeting.  Not a club.  As commander, I give a 'whats new', upcoming events, and Q&A briefing.

It has served us well and parents seem to like it.  I usually give a 'join us' appeal each time and have had a number of parents join as a result.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

FW

Although allowed, they are not looked upon favorably.  I would advise against forming one.

Larry Mangum

Quote from: FW on February 20, 2018, 08:15:48 PM
Although allowed, they are not looked upon favorably.  I would advise against forming one.

My experiences as a CS was not favorable, and as a Squadron CC, made it clear to members that suggested one be created for the unit, that I was against it and would not support the creation of one. They seem to start out with the best of intentions and sooner or later seem to cross the line and create headaches for both the Squadron and Wing.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

NIN

Quote from: Larry Mangum on February 20, 2018, 08:24:26 PM
My experiences as a CS was not favorable, and as a Squadron CC, made it clear to members that suggested one be created for the unit, that I was against it and would not support the creation of one. They seem to start out with the best of intentions and sooner or later seem to cross the line and create headaches for both the Squadron and Wing.

I recall a unit many, many years ago in a group adjacent to mine that had an active "parents club" (this is way before regulations on "booster clubs" but I think they were trying to skirt the idea that this was a "booster club" if anybody asked.. or maybe they were a booster club, its been close to 30 years and I don't remember exactly).   Ask folks from that group and they thought it was a *fine* idea.  Greatest thing since sliced bread! What could possibly go wrong with a bunch of people who want to support CAP but don't want the burden of the regulations or membership?

Went along swimmingly until some new folks in the club got the idea that they didn't like what the unit (the commander, as I recall) was doing with the funds and equipment raised by the club, and that they should have more power over the unit and the leadership, more like the chartering organization or the "committee" in a scouting organization.  There was a power struggle between the people with standing (the members of the squadron, the command staff) and the members of the booster or parents club (ie. folks without legitimate standing in the organization).

Complaints were filed, IG investigations followed, people had a lot of hurt feelings and ultimately the unit wound up going under when everybody keeping things running on the unit side threw up their hands and said "Too much drama, I'm out" yet nobody on the booster side wanted to pick up the ball.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

MrsRoe

Booster Club has been a massive help and benefit to our unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a new SM and mom of a CAP kid trying to figure it out one acronym at a time

Shotgun

Like most concepts of this ilk your mileage may vary.

We had a booster club for our squadron and it worked out well - until it seemed to fade away.  It consisted entirely of non-members and had tax exempt status.  Any funds raised went to assist cadets with uniform items, encampment fees, NCSA tuition, color guard equipment, etc.

You just have to be sure that there is no appearance of impropriety or that you are trying to "hide" or funnel funds away from the Wing Banker system.  As the CC the ONLY time I interacted with the Board of the booster club was inquire if they would be willing to contribute to travel costs for some of our AE trips.

Our unit is blessed with a lucrative fund raising opportunity so all of our major equipment and costs were covered. This allowed the Booster Club to focus on the needs of the cadets and cadet program.  Cadets that participated in Booster Club fundraisers (which were done out of uniform and NOT considered CAP activities) were credited with %50 of the money raised into a "cadet account".  (A parking even raises $2000.   $1000 set aside for the cadets who worked the event.  If there were 20 cadets that worked the event they each got $50.00 to use for uniform items, travel costs, encampment fees, etc.).  It sounds like an accounting night mare to me, but then as the CC I wasn't involved.)

It's also a good way to get/keep parents engaged in CAP without having them become a Cadet Sponsor member.

There is definitely a  potential for conflict and disagreements if the Booster Club is a main or significant source of funding for a squadron.
Also, the success of the Booster Club is dependent of the dedication of the parents and non-members who serve on the board. Our club was active and thriving for about 7 years and then seemed to fade away.