Main Menu

Your input requested

Started by whatevah, December 31, 2017, 03:51:32 AM

whatevah

Greetings cadets, seniors, former members, disgruntleds and others!

I'm looking for your input on ways to improve CAPTalk. As our lucky 13th anniversary approaches, I want to shake things up and put a little fresh air into the site. As the only CAP-focused message board, I think there is a duty to be the best it can be.  I have my own impression of things and ideas I want to implement, but I'm asking for your input.

1. What things do you like about the site?
2. What things do you dislike AND how do you suggest improving them?
3. What would you like to see added?
4. Would you consider helping in CAPTalk 2.0?

Private messages are fine if you don't want to respond publicly.  Please keep this on topic, any drift or personal attacks will be dealt with.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

etodd

I've only been here a couple years, but can't really think of any changes off the top of my head. Everyone here seems to feel quite free to speak their minds. And also feel free to slap down those that need a slap and to high five those who have good things to say. The Mods do a good job of letting things go just far enough before locking a thread.

Technically the site is just fine as it is.

Content is up to the members. Some days better than others. LOL

<<<< My 900th post. Obviously I need better ways to spend my time. ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Holding Pattern

What I don't like are the responses to uniform pictures. Make it a formal rule to praise in public, critique in private. I'm all for feedback, but not the way that certain people here like to deliver it in public (and then forward said complaints on to NHQ to send down the chain rather than sending a simple private message.)

What I like is that I can ask for semi-obscure data questions and get good answers.

I think this could also be improved by banning people from saying "use the search function" unless they are also providing useful information in the post on what the information is.

These items would in my opinion also help reinforce the core value of Respect while also raising the level of discourse.

abdsp51

I think its good as it is.  The only thing I would suggest is maybe stickys with the regs maybe a cosmetic facelift.

And I think that the suggestion offered by another poster is flawed.  CAP Talk is no different from any other form of social media.  Making a post a user knows there will be criticism and critiquing. 

It's common sense if you don't want any comments or anything said then don't post.

NIN

Quote from: Mordecai on December 31, 2017, 07:39:53 AM
What I don't like are the responses to uniform pictures. Make it a formal rule to praise in public, critique in private. I'm all for feedback, but not the way that certain people here like to deliver it in public (and then forward said complaints on to NHQ to send down the chain rather than sending a simple private message.)

Trust me when I say this: CAPTalk 2017 is *lightyears* different from CAPTalk 2005, where a stray photo posted on line got picked apart loudly and unmercifully.

Jerry is looking at potentially updating the platform that CAPTalk runs on. The Simple Machines Forum (SMF) that it uses now is dated, not having seen a major update since 2014, and the version presently in use is fairly old, too.

I think there's also some thought to the discussion found here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=22459.0  as to things that might need to be "done differently," in terms of moderation, enforcement of the MCOC, etc.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Sometimes new folks may be a bit timid about asking particular questions in their squadron. Having a little more anonymity here, gives them the opportunity to ask away ... and not have to feel embarrassed.

Its really good thing. Keep it open, no questions barred, as it is now.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on December 31, 2017, 04:34:27 PM
Sometimes new folks may be a bit timid about asking particular questions in their squadron. Having a little more anonymity here, gives them the opportunity to ask away ... and not have to feel embarrassed.

This, for sure.

I started off here because I had questions that couldn't be answered at my home unit when I joined. Additionally, I had a lot of things I didn't understand and didn't want to come off being "that new guy who doesn't get it." As it turned out, I think I found that most of my colleagues early on felt similar but never bothered to do their own research and never bothered to ask anyone (maybe not knowing there was anybody to ask).

It's a great forum to come out and share information (whether soliciting or offering). I have three firm requests for everyone, though:

1.) Try looking it up before you ask. "I looked for it, but wasn't sure if this was correct/what this means/where to find out." Now that you've put the effort in, you've demonstrated some worth in being assisted. We're not here to baby you or do your homework.

2.) The above comes with a counterpart---Do your homework before providing an answer. If you don't know, don't answer, or try to assist in finding out the answer with the person. Way too much bad gouge out there in the "real world." Don't add to it.

3.) Fact check what you've been told. If you see an explanation that includes, for example, "According to the regs," find out what regs; then go read them. Don't trust everything you're told and turn it into "Well, according to the people on CAP Talk."

Really, though, despite some of the bickering (and it's not always a bad thing), I appreciate the fact that this forum does exist. It doesn't just help me find answers, but also come up with my own questions that I didn't know to ask---a lot of it, I'd never even think about/of until I saw it posted here. There's so much going on in CAP, it's hard to keep up. This forum is a huge convenience on that because everyone seems to have a different focus area that they monitor and a different perspective to offer in the discussion.

Holding Pattern

On the technical side, TLS and 2FA would be greatly appreciated.

Alaric

Quote from: whatevah on December 31, 2017, 03:51:32 AM
Greetings cadets, seniors, former members, disgruntleds and others!

I'm looking for your input on ways to improve CAPTalk. As our lucky 13th anniversary approaches, I want to shake things up and put a little fresh air into the site. As the only CAP-focused message board, I think there is a duty to be the best it can be.  I have my own impression of things and ideas I want to implement, but I'm asking for your input.

1. What things do you like about the site?
2. What things do you dislike AND how do you suggest improving them?
3. What would you like to see added?
4. Would you consider helping in CAPTalk 2.0?

Private messages are fine if you don't want to respond publicly.  Please keep this on topic, any drift or personal attacks will be dealt with.

I like the exchange of ideas, even if it gets vociferous at times

I don't like how simple question threads are allowed to go on and off into tangents before the moderators stop those threads, whereas some controversial topics are cut off as soon as someone gets a little inflammatory

Nothing really

Yes

whatevah

Trolling/drift posts deleted.  Thanks for the posts and PMs so far!  Keep it coming!
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

TX CAP Mom

Quote from: etodd on December 31, 2017, 04:34:27 PM

Sometimes, unfortunately, the squadron is not always timely in their response (or knows the answer). So one looks somewhere else for the answer. And, it's 2018 now. For Pete's sake, there is no need to say "search first you moron!" because duh, we've done that. Not a one of us doesn't already search forums or google for answers. It's time to put that to rest. JMHO.

Overall I'm glad Captalk exists but I wish it wasn't sometimes so negative toward newbies, cadets asking questions, or just CAP in general. But you take the good with the bad, right?  ;D

MDMike2017

As a new Senior Member, both to CAP and CAPTalk, I've found the information here to be very informative! Just like any other form of social media, there will always be pros/cons, but I think as a message board/forum, it does what it should!

etodd

Quote from: TX CAP Mom on January 01, 2018, 07:46:17 AM

Overall I'm glad Captalk exists but I wish it wasn't sometimes so negative toward newbies, cadets asking questions, or just CAP in general.

Online, everyone can be an expert. Folks that don't get enough high fives in their squadron can come here and pontificate. Many here have used me as a punching bag at times. It can be amusing.

West MI-CAP-Ret

The things I like about this site is that it's very professional (I believe someone wrote me that there are several wing and region commanders, past and present, that 'troll' the site, keeping the remarks civil, etc.)

What might be helpful is that perhaps, if some members would agree to be listed by expertise, to have a spot on this site that people with questions could contact if they have a question (maybe listing the persons with their expertise by years of experience and level, etc).

For example, I know there's a few IGs on this site, who could point someone to the correct manual, or offer to write off-blog to get more information that would not be helpful to be made public.

Finally, since there doesn't seem to be a benchline level of knowledge, especially if a rated pilot, new to the program, asked what should be a simple question, when someone responds with "you're a captain and you don't know that question or where to find it?" etc.

Just a thought.

Warmly, Dave
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Blanding

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 31, 2017, 12:09:34 PM
And I think that the suggestion offered by another poster is flawed.  CAP Talk is no different from any other form of social media.  Making a post a user knows there will be criticism and critiquing. 

It's common sense if you don't want any comments or anything said then don't post.

User feedback: I think sometimes people here criticize opinions different from their own too much.

Response: Your opinion is flawed and if you had any common sense you'd expect to be criticized!

Check it out CT - let's operate a community based on values that reflect our program's.

CAPed Crusader

Nick

Quote from: francisderosa16 on September 04, 2018, 10:15:12 PM
Let's have a captalk app!
It's a good idea but takes a lot of development time and effort. Instead you can use Tapatalk to interface with the forum via an app.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

DakRadz

Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2018, 03:26:27 AM
Quote from: francisderosa16 on September 04, 2018, 10:15:12 PM
Let's have a captalk app!
It's a good idea but takes a lot of development time and effort. Instead you can use Tapatalk to interface with the forum via an app.
This.

Except Tapatalk is a gateway app to many other forums. Terrible timesuck. [emoji2962]

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Holding Pattern

I'll put in another plug for HTTPS.

Eclipse

With no commerce on a public site, what's the need for HTTPS?

"That Others May Zoom"