"Civil Air Patrol" on the uniform multiple times?

Started by Hawk200, December 10, 2017, 05:14:33 PM

Is it really necessary to put the words "Civil Air Patrol" on every patch, badge, or other insignia used or worn on the CAP uniform?

Yes, use it on everything.
No, it only really needs to appear once.
It doesn't matter, you're making a a big deal out of nothing.

Hawk200

Been looking at various accoutrements on the CAP uniform, and noticed that a lot of different patches/badges/etc. have the words "Civil Air Patrol" on them.

I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks that placing the words "Civil Air Patrol" on the uniform more than once is really necessary. (Saw the new design of a patch for a wing I was formerly in, and was a little disappointed that the words "Civil Air Patrol" had been added to the patch. Disappointed because it wasn't really necessary, and I don't think it looks as good as the old one.)

So, just a quick curiosity poll. Agree? Disagree? NBD?

NIN

Your choices aren't that awesome. :)

I mean, yeah, they probably don't ALL need to say Civil Air Patrol.   I think I'd rather we had better heraldry and design.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: NIN on December 10, 2017, 05:43:40 PM

I mean, yeah, they probably don't ALL need to say Civil Air Patrol.   I think I'd rather we had better heraldry and design.

+100000

I think we have had the heraldry and design guidance long enough to that we should be making a stronger effort to transition old patches to the new requirements.  I would also like to see size limitations enforced.  I have some cadets that received patches from Region events that are actually bigger than their pockets.  Is there really a need to have over sized patches?

Red 6

It's even more pronounced in Scouting. They put the organizational name on so many different insignia, you might end up wearing multiple patches that each say BSA or Boy Scouts of America. If you look at military insignia, you almost never see the service name on badges and patches, except ID tapes on utility-type uniforms. The uniform itself serves as our statement of who and what we are as an organization.

Red 6

etodd

Quote from: Red 6 on December 11, 2017, 06:05:51 PM

The uniform itself serves as our statement of who and what we are as an organization.

You can never have enough badges, patches and awards. Start running them down your legs if you need more room. ;)

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on December 11, 2017, 06:36:39 PM

The uniform itself serves as our statement of who and what we are as an organization.

You can never have enough badges, patches and awards. Start running them down your legs if you need more room. ;)

Jokes on you, that's actually Body Armor!

TheSkyHornet

You for make fun Supreme Leader? To be with camp for reeducation for make of respect.

Fubar

What I tend to see is "US Air Force Auxiliary" all over the place, often in place of our organization's name. Same thing with business cards, the look on someone's face when I ask if they're in the Civil Air Patrol after they hand me their business card is amusing, their reaction when I mention it's not mentioned on their card is priceless.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: kwe1009 on December 11, 2017, 03:48:54 PM
Quote from: NIN on December 10, 2017, 05:43:40 PM

+100000

I think we have had the heraldry and design guidance long enough to that we should be making a stronger effort to transition old patches to the new requirements.

I'd prefer to see squadrons with old patches grandfathered and not bothered by wing about such things unless they are willing to put in all of the effort vs just telling a squadron to do something about it and making life annoying when we're trying to prioritize on things like D&C, ES, AE, Cyberpatriot, Color Guard, O-Flights, etc.

Abby.L

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 12, 2017, 04:19:31 AM

You for make fun Supreme Leader? To be with camp for reeducation for make of respect.
You've been made a moderator of r/Pyongyang

Oh wait, this isn't Reddit. In the great leader's name you'd make great moderator.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Fubar on December 13, 2017, 02:25:47 AM
What I tend to see is "US Air Force Auxiliary" all over the place, often in place of our organization's name. Same thing with business cards, the look on someone's face when I ask if they're in the Civil Air Patrol after they hand me their business card is amusing, their reaction when I mention it's not mentioned on their card is priceless.

We tend to list both on our certificates and handouts. Obviously, we don't repeat "Civil Air Patrol" on a certificate, with the exception of maybe "CAP" next to someone's grade.

As far as on the uniform, it really only needs to be once. If you have a nameplate that says "Civil Air Patrol," the epaulettes don't really need to have "CAP" on them, nor do the qualification badges. That's where it becomes a bit redundant. If it's on small badges/medals, it's not so much a big deal, for me at least.

I would assume the reason service dress insignia has "CAP" on there is to keep with the practice of looking distinctive enough to not be mistaken for military. Just a guess.

To me, overall, it's a fairly petty issue on top of every other issue there is with uniforms, let alone the real issues we have in the organization that can feasibly be fixed over time. I voted it as a non-issue. I have my thoughts, but it's never something I considered bringing up at the gripe table.

Salty_Airman

We could beat the DPRK with a magnet!

PHall

Quote from: Salty_Airman on December 18, 2017, 07:01:24 PM

We could beat the DPRK with a magnet!

If they were iron or steel, which they aren't...

LATORRECA

It's funny they use their medals as flak jackets. Dumb N. Koreans.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

BuckeyeDEJ

That's sad. We have a brand issue, but part of it is that people value our legal status over our name.

In the wake of Hurricane Irma this year, you may remember the CAP hangar at the Naples, Fla., airport was demolished. On its side was a sign, with all letters the same size:

U.S. AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
CIVIL AIR PATROL

Let's get this crap straight, already. Flip the lines, and make the bottom one smaller. You don't even know what organization you're part of?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 02, 2018, 05:24:17 AM

That's sad. We have a brand issue, but part of it is that people value our legal status over our name.

In the wake of Hurricane Irma this year, you may remember the CAP hangar at the Naples, Fla., airport was demolished. On its side was a sign, with all letters the same size:

U.S. AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
CIVIL AIR PATROL

Let's get this crap straight, already. Flip the lines, and make the bottom one smaller. You don't even know what organization you're part of?

Uh, isn't equal size, Civil Air Patrol on the bottom the way the words appear on the corporate seal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

BuckeyeDEJ

Indeed, it is, and it has been since the mid-1980s. But the name is still Civil Air Patrol.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

etodd

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 15, 2018, 03:04:30 AM
Indeed, it is, and it has been since the mid-1980s. But the name is still Civil Air Patrol.

So, if the Corporate seal has

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
CIVIL AIR PATROL

in that order and in the same size letters, why do you believe it necessary for a CAP unit to show the words the other way around and have US AIR FORCE AUXILIARY in smaller letters in order to "...get this crap straight?" Shouldn't you be either quoting a regulation about now, ie producing a letter of appointment as the "Get This Crap Straight " arbiter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.