Main Menu

Question about AFSUPT

Started by FNelson, November 20, 2017, 04:15:39 AM

FNelson

I am interested in the AF Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training course because I want to be a USAF pilot after collage and this seems like a good course to take. I am considering going to AFSUPT ether this summer or next. I have visited the AFSUPT page on the NCSA website and understand the information that is on there but I have other question. My main question is what are somethings that I should or learn do before I go or that I should consider before I apply. If you have gone to AFSUPT I welcome personal stories that you may have.
C/2d Lt. Forest Nelson
Santa Fe Composite Squadron "Flying Tigers"
"A legacy of Honor"

lordmonar

Concentrate on your CAP curriculum and advance in the program.

There is nothing else that you need to do that would make your experience there more rewarding or improving in your odds of getting a slot.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

coudano

Definitely figure out how to spell college.

Additionally, if you want to be a pilot in the USAF, the single best piece of advice I can give you right now is to go and get your PPL.  Do it today.  Consider it a career investment.

CadetFriesen

While having a PPL will give you more points on your pilot application, it is only a small part of the overall package. I only had 11 logged hours when I applied, and that was more then most. Additionally, having a PPL / a lot of hours doesn't translate at all to better performance in UPT so I wouldn't worry about that aspect. If you can't afford it, don't worry about. Just do well in school, be a good dude, kill the PT test and you will be fine once you reach that point.
1st Lt, USAF

FallenTX

I would apply for SUPTFC at Columbus, not Laughlin. Everything you need to study before going they will email out to you. If you are really interested in what pilot training is like in the Air Force it is the best way to learn about it. I went as a cadet and staffed multiple times and would definitely suggest it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.Member

Quote from: CadetFriesen on November 20, 2017, 02:33:08 PM
While having a PPL will give you more points on your pilot application, it is only a small part of the overall package. I only had 11 logged hours when I applied, and that was more then most. Additionally, having a PPL / a lot of hours doesn't translate at all to better performance in UPT so I wouldn't worry about that aspect. If you can't afford it, don't worry about. Just do well in school, be a good dude, kill the PT test and you will be fine once you reach that point.
QFT

Earning your PPL is not and should not be your top priority.  While it is fun, it's no guarantee in providing a "leg up".  Build a plan and focus first on crushing the near term objectives of that plan (like things related to those bolded above).  When the time comes, the Air Force will teach you everything you need.

Source:  Virtually everyone I know that has screened packages or completed the pipeline.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

coudano

My source, by the way is "a lot" of people that I personally know who failed out of the pilot pipeline along the way and wound up in consolation prize career fields.

CadetFriesen

My experience is having graduated from UPT recently and currently in the Viper pipeline. I knew tons of people in different classes who had hundreds of private hours. Some did well, some did not. There was no significant difference between the average of their performance and the average performance of the individuals with little to no hours. Flying in UPT is very different then flying a Cessna around the pattern.

Sure, get some hours to get a foot in the door. There is nothing wrong with that. However, the Air Force cares more about grades and being a solid helpful person then any amount of hours.
1st Lt, USAF

goblin

Quote from: CadetFriesen on November 21, 2017, 11:20:19 PM
My experience is having graduated from UPT recently and currently in the Viper pipeline. I knew tons of people in different classes who had hundreds of private hours. Some did well, some did not. There was no significant difference between the average of their performance and the average performance of the individuals with little to no hours. Flying in UPT is very different then flying a Cessna around the pattern.

Sure, get some hours to get a foot in the door. There is nothing wrong with that. However, the Air Force cares more about grades and being a solid helpful person then any amount of hours.

This.

UPT is a 0/0 program built specifically for people who have very limited flying experience. It's definitely not a "must do"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: goblin on November 26, 2017, 04:43:21 AM
UPT is a 0/0 program built specifically for people who have very limited flying experience. It's definitely not a "must do"

The problem I see is that it often gets "marketed" that way. Too many people try to act like "If you're going to an NCSA, it needs to be this one," and "If you want x-career path, you need to do x-NCSA."

goblin

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 27, 2017, 11:13:07 PM
Quote from: goblin on November 26, 2017, 04:43:21 AM

The problem I see is that it often gets "marketed" that way. Too many people try to act like "If you're going to an NCSA, it needs to be this one," and "If you want x-career path, you need to do x-NCSA."

Right. That's unnecessary