Gliderbooks Academy?

Started by xray328, September 18, 2017, 02:30:40 PM

Spam

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 16, 2017, 11:38:18 AM
I guess I was blessed to learn to fly in So Cal where you could get 30-45 minutes in a 2-33.  When I was flying the Grob 103 Id get 2 hours with no problem.   My longest was 3.5 in a 1-26.  The only reason I came down was because I had to pee like you couldnt believe :) 
Well from the more detailed discussion it sounds like its all on the up and up with the CFI.  I really hope it doesnt discourage her to the point where she loses interest.

So, you went from flying a very quiet machine with zero propellers then, to now flying a machine with giant whirling blades of death that go WHOPWHOPWHOP over your head?

::)

Cheers
Spam

Cliff_Chambliss

As an instructor I have been down this road.  Maxwell AFB Aero Club.  Had a young lady accompanied by her father come in and wanted to talk about flying lessons.  Every question I asked, he answered. (Red Flag).  Over the next 5 years we flew 125 hours and she never soloed.  She never got a physical.  Her parents bought her a laptop computer and the King Interactive training program and she never opened either box.  I flew with her from the time she was 16 til she turned 21.  She never even had a drivers license, her mother driving her to every lesson.  Now the young lady was sharp, and she had a really good feel for the airplane, and her flying ability she was ready for solo at about 14 hours.  But she did not want to.  Her comment was flying was cool, but not really something she wanted to do right then.  Several chats with her mother, and Mom's comment was "Well James is a colonel and you can't say no to him".  A conference with Dad, and his take was keep flying, someday the spark would light. So for 5 years we flew and she never soloed, and one day she did not come to the airport.  Her mother called and said she had run away and eloped with some boy they had never met.
   Not even hinting your daughter is the same, but:
1.  Have a serious talk with her.  Is this something she really wants to do or is this more of Dad's wish and she is wanting to make him happy?
2.  If possible, book her with a different instructor  for a "Stage Check" or evaluation ride.  Sometimes it's easy to blame the books when it's a disconnect between the instructor and the student.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on October 16, 2017, 02:55:12 PM
So for 5 years we flew and she never soloed, and one day she did not come to the airport.  Her mother called and said she had run away and eloped with some boy they had never met.

Dude was probably a pilot.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Spam on October 16, 2017, 02:47:53 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on October 16, 2017, 11:38:18 AM
I guess I was blessed to learn to fly in So Cal where you could get 30-45 minutes in a 2-33.  When I was flying the Grob 103 Id get 2 hours with no problem.   My longest was 3.5 in a 1-26.  The only reason I came down was because I had to pee like you couldnt believe :) 
Well from the more detailed discussion it sounds like its all on the up and up with the CFI.  I really hope it doesnt discourage her to the point where she loses interest.

So, you went from flying a very quiet machine with zero propellers then, to now flying a machine with giant whirling blades of death that go WHOPWHOPWHOP over your head?

::)

Cheers
Spam

Flying gliders didnt buy momma that new Gucci hand bag.  Come to think of it... neither does flying Hueys?   :o