Michigan Wing SAR Academy

Started by waukwiz, February 19, 2017, 12:59:32 AM

waukwiz

Having missed my chance to attend an NCSA this summer, I'm searching for a good ES academy that I'll learn much from and enjoy. The best option I've found, factoring in money(little), location(near WIWG), and prerequisites, is MIWG's SAR Academy. I'd like to get a little insight on the activity, and I hope I can get some input from former attendees, staff members, MIWG members, etc.
Otherwise if y'all have other suggestions for activities, I'd love to hear them as well.
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

husker

Registration for NESA is still open.  We have a couple of staff members from Wisconsin.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

waukwiz

Quote from: husker on February 19, 2017, 01:31:30 AM
Registration for NESA is still open.  We have a couple of staff members from Wisconsin.
I'm entirely new at NCSAs. I thought one needed to apply to any NCSA on or prior to Jan 15.
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

Spaceman3750

Quote from: waukwiz on February 20, 2017, 04:00:11 AM
Quote from: husker on February 19, 2017, 01:31:30 AM
I'm entirely new at NCSAs. I thought one needed to apply to any NCSA on or prior to Jan 15.

NESA is different. After you've reviewed the site at http://nesa.cap.gov you can apply in the NESA module under Operations in eServices.

Slim

I'm not really part of the SAR academy scene, so I won't speak to the quality (or lack thereof) of the school. 

What I know about it is that it's been run in one form or another since the mid 90s (I staffed a previous iteration in the late 80s-early 90s).  It was originally held "In the field," as in drive to the middle of nowhere, then hang a left and keep going until sunset.  Well, not really, but it was held in the middle of a national forest, in tents, with classroom space under the most convenient tree.  It's evolved over the years, and is now held at Camp Grayling (about 30 miles from it's original home), in buildings, with some meals provided, and plenty of room to roam on 100,000+ acres of range land and training areas.

This is also the first year it's being considered as a national activity.

More info here

Slim

goblin

Quote from: Slim on March 07, 2017, 10:23:15 AM
I'm not really part of the SAR academy scene, so I won't speak to the quality (or lack thereof) of the school. 

What I know about it is that it's been run in one form or another since the mid 90s (I staffed a previous iteration in the late 80s-early 90s).  It was originally held "In the field," as in drive to the middle of nowhere, then hang a left and keep going until sunset.  Well, not really, but it was held in the middle of a national forest, in tents, with classroom space under the most convenient tree.  It's evolved over the years, and is now held at Camp Grayling (about 30 miles from it's original home), in buildings, with some meals provided, and plenty of room to roam on 100,000+ acres of range land and training areas.

This is also the first year it's being considered as a national activity.

More info here

Sounds like it's devolved from its original intent unfortunately.

Those days lost in the middle of nowhere were some of my favorite.