Vanguard leather name patches

Started by Damron, February 22, 2016, 12:10:17 AM

Damron

I'm awaiting a reply from Vanguard but wondered if anybody has ordered a leather flight jacket patch without wings or other insignia.  I am wondering if they vertically center if there isn't insignia.

I think it would look odd if the two lines remained at the bottom of the patch.

Panzerbjorn

The ones I've seen actually have the lines of text centered vertically.  To me, that looks odd.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

raivo

I've seen it both ways, depending on the manufacturer... and neither's technically wrong, since the AF and CAP don't specify where they're supposed to align in the absence of a badge.

At my last ops base, you could go over to clothing sales with a friend, both order identical new nametags, and come back next week to find one of you had your name centered on the tag, and the other had your name put at the bottom of the tag.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

radioguy

Just to follow up, I recently received a leather name patch from Vanguard and the text was arranged as follows,,,

FNAME                                      LNAME
              (big empty space)
RANK                                        CAP

Needless to say, I wasn't thilled.

Гугл переводчик

I've had three different leather name plates, and the only thing different about them was my rank at the time. (CDT, TFO, 1ST LT) Yet, somehow they positioned the words different each time.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Holding Pattern

Note to self: Don't buy leather name patches from vanguard.

lordmonar

Quote from: radioguy on March 07, 2016, 11:26:35 PM
Just to follow up, I recently received a leather name patch from Vanguard and the text was arranged as follows,,,

(big empty space)

That's kind of the way they are supposed to be.
But if you are not happy by all means let Vanguard know and they will make it right.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on March 08, 2016, 02:12:03 AM
Quote from: radioguy on March 07, 2016, 11:26:35 PM

(big empty space)

That's kind of the way they are supposed to be.
But if you are not happy by all means let Vanguard know and they will make it right.

No, it's not. The space should be on top (where the wings or badge would normally go), not on the middle.

Damron

I was afraid of an awkward spacing so I added a duty title and I was pleased with the spacing.  However, the [darn]ed thing was mounted on a piece of plywood. 

What's the story? Is this awkward arrangement a result of the brown patch not filling up the 2x4 space on the Vanguard M-1, so they mounted on 2x4 black leather to fill the gap?

goblin

Quote from: Damron on March 08, 2016, 03:41:16 AM
I was afraid of an awkward spacing so I added a duty title and I was pleased with the spacing.  However, the [darn]ed thing was mounted on a piece of plywood. 

What's the story? Is this awkward arrangement a result of the brown patch not filling up the 2x4 space on the Vanguard M-1, so they mounted on 2x4 black leather to fill the gap?

Oh cool I didn't know we could do that

AlphaSigOU

There are TWO leather name patches for wear: the plain black 2x4" for the flight suit (FDU/CFDU) and the brown with black border that's only worn on the black A-2 leather jacket.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Damron

What's the reason for the black frame on the brown patch?  Is it a way accommodate the smaller brown patch on a 2x4 footprint?  Is this a Vanguard issue or is this rooted in tradition?

It results in a horrible looking patch that doesn't bend at all and looks silly as a result.   If they used a 2x4 brown patch it would look better. 

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Damron on March 08, 2016, 07:51:58 PM
Yes, I understand there are two different patches.  I'm asking the question, what's the reason for the black frame on the brown patch?  Is it a way accommodate the smaller brown patch? 

It results in a horrible looking patch that doesn't bend at all and looks silly as a result.   If they used a 2x4 brown patch it would look better.

It was done to match the style worn on Ma Blue's A-2 jacket. The AF name patch frame is a dark brown to closely match the color of the brown leather jacket, while the 2x4 name patch itself is a lighter brown. The CAP black name patch frame matches the black color of the jacket. Unlike Ma Blue, the command patch on the CAP A-2 does not have a leather frame. (Though there were some leather-framed command patches made and sold by CAPMart before they went belly up.)

And no, we'll never get to wear the brown A-2 with the FDU; traditionally the A-2 jacket is issued to USAF aircrew when they become 'mission qualified' in their aircraft or weapons system.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Damron

Vanguard's implementation is horrible.  They chose heavy black leather which results in stiff patch that looks like it's mounted on plywood.

I can't recall if my father's Navy jackets were framed in dark brown.

Гугл переводчик

Quote from: Damron on March 08, 2016, 08:05:43 PM
Vanguard's implementation is horrible.  They chose heavy black leather which results in stiff patch that looks like it's mounted on plywood.

I can't recall of my father's Navy jackets were framed in dark brown.

At least it's not like the ones the AF Academy uses when you don't have a badge... A piece of paper that's been laminated with velcro on the back
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

lordmonar

It's an Air Force thing.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Damron

It would look better if they created a two-tone patch instead of layering two patches.  I've seen flight jackets all my life and was surprised at this odd implementation.   

Thanks for the background.

SarDragon

Nope, all brown. My dad used to make them. At some time, though, they did shift to all black.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on March 08, 2016, 09:08:18 PM

It's an Air Force thing.

That's what the Air Force wears on their Brown A-2 jackets. And you're right, they don't bend, ever...

Damron

I'll just get used to my stiff name patch and uncovered salutes and concentrate on more important matters.  :)