*****URGENT HELP PLEASE*****

Started by GabeTP, February 04, 2016, 09:37:29 PM

Raikkonen

Would it be beneficial for the Admins to make special icons that identify Cadets vs. Seniors and maybe have a "Cadet Only" section?  Some of the Senior convos get pretty heated so maybe that should become something that is transparent to the Cadets that might be lurking around the forum. 

Just asking.  Please don't flame me lol

Pace

I thought about that, but I have no idea if that's even possible. Plus, it has to do with respect and decency. If we have to segregate cadets to keep SMs from being rude to them, what does that say about us on CAPTalk?
Lt Col, CAP

MIKE

How do you validate cadet/senior status on an unofficial forum?  On an official forum sure, use CAPID and eServices at registration.
Mike Johnston

Raikkonen

Both good points.  Both taken.  Thank you

Pace

Quote from: MIKE on February 10, 2016, 05:31:49 PM
How do you validate cadet/senior status on an unofficial forum?  On an official forum sure, use CAPID and eServices at registration.

Maybe have people select either cadet or SM with associated color-coded user names (ex: blue for cadets and black for SMs) when they register for an account?  You could lie, but that's grounds for a ban under current policy if discovered.
Lt Col, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: Pace on February 10, 2016, 05:45:36 PM

Maybe have people select either cadet or SM with associated color-coded user names (ex: blue for cadets and black for SMs) when they register for an account?  You could lie, but that's grounds for a ban under current policy if discovered.

Well, for my part I solemnly swear that I'm up to good deeds regarding cadets posting questions on the board. Even seniors. I always have the option to not respond at all.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

And it makes a boat load of work for the mods. How do you keep cadets out of SM only discussions? Active monitoring of posts? Seems like the system that is in place now works. When somebody gets out of line, they get told about it. If cadets want to watch the sausage making, good for them. Gives them a look into how wing level meetings are held...strike that....give them a look at the nice parts of wing level meetings...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Chappie

^^ Concur ^^  :clap:   Rule of thumb:  abiding by the CAP Core Values here in CAPTalk will keep the tone and tenor of the threads "reader-friendly" -- be it cadet or senior member.   That is all.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Pace

Quote from: THRAWN on February 10, 2016, 05:51:47 PM

And it makes a boat load of work for the mods. How do you keep cadets out of SM only discussions? Active monitoring of posts? Seems like the system that is in place now works. When somebody gets out of line, they get told about it. If cadets want to watch the sausage making, good for them. Gives them a look into how wing level meetings are held...strike that....give them a look at the nice parts of wing level meetings...
My intent was not to segregate but merely to label.
Lt Col, CAP

LSThiker

Was not there at a point a Senior Member only section?  Or was that Cadetstuff?  I believe, we had to send a scanned copy of our CAP ID card or our CAP ID number to be "granted" permission in that thread.  Does anyone else remember that?

Just a question that does not necessarily imply condoning or rejecting the idea.

Shutterbug

Perhaps one of the most critical lessons a cadet will learn during their time in the program is how to work effectively with senior members and interact with them in a professional manner. Unfortunately, this lesson is often learned the hard way, and a balance of respect must be found between cadets living in fear of senior members and blatant insubordination. While cadets will occasionally enter this forum and make mistakes or throw the chain of command out the window, segregation of cadets and senior members on this forum, or others, would only hinder the potential learning experiences our organization has to offer.

CAPDCCMOM

"Sometimes ruling through fear is a good thing..."

Countess Dowager
Downton Abbey

Spam

Teammates:

I feel that one of the biggest takeaways for me (and possibly for all respondents) is to remember that there's a human on the other side of that screen (cadet or officer) who is answering in all sincerity based on their point(s) of view, and that we should behave as if we were discussing all these varied issues at a local meeting face to face.

Its very easy to stare at the pale blue CAPTalk screen, and only see black and white words, then to respond to an issue (not to the person) in a short, curt manner, without the social skills that we would expect at any face to face meeting.

Don't do that. I have, and I've regretted it. We need to pause, and to make an effort to stop, read three times for context, for who the author is/seems to be, and to ask, "will any answer I make really advance this discussion"?  I have to admit, some of my past responses have been inflammatory/reactionary/emotional/useless, but several times, I best served the discussion by NOT posting my initial thoughts. Sometimes, the best course is NOT to comment.  Other times, I've paused to ask myself if my response (especially to cadet members) would fit with the new Leadership Lab model of servant leadership.  Would I make such a comment/reply to a member (especially a cadet member) face to face?  If not = rework, or don't post.

Very Respectfully,
Spam

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: Pace on February 10, 2016, 05:24:23 PM
I thought about that, but I have no idea if that's even possible. Plus, it has to do with respect and decency. If we have to segregate cadets to keep SMs from being rude to them, what does that say about us on CAPTalk?

Frankly, it simply validates what I tell any of my cadets I see pop up on here and post....that they post at their own risk and they need to understand they're jumping into a pool of piranhas.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Garibaldi

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on February 11, 2016, 02:16:34 PM

Frankly, it simply validates what I tell any of my cadets I see pop up on here and post....that they post at their own risk and they need to understand they're jumping into a pool of piranhas.

Then the piranha need to shut their fool mouths until they figure out what they're eating. Seriously, I've noticed my own behavior, and been called out on it. I'm trying to change. But, whenever a cadet mentions CAPTalk to me, I just shake my head and walk off after telling them to stay away. There's a Facebook group more suited to them and there's a lot of warnings about us, that we eat cadets alive and pick our teeth with their bones.

It's not rocket surgery. I'm trying to be civil. I really am. And it's hard. I don't deal well with willful ignorance and bad grammar, as most of you well know. But the lobotomy I have scheduled for next week should take care of the remaining issues I have.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Raikkonen

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 11, 2016, 02:28:27 PM
Quote from: Panzerbjorn on February 11, 2016, 02:16:34 PM

Then the piranha need to shut their fool mouths until they figure out what they're eating. Seriously, I've noticed my own behavior, and been called out on it. I'm trying to change. But, whenever a cadet mentions CAPTalk to me, I just shake my head and walk off after telling them to stay away. There's a Facebook group more suited to them and there's a lot of warnings about us, that we eat cadets alive and pick our teeth with their bones.

It's not rocket surgery. I'm trying to be civil. I really am. And it's hard. I don't deal well with willful ignorance and bad grammar, as most of you well know. But the lobotomy I have scheduled for next week should take care of the remaining issues I have.

You just became my best friend.

NC Wing Range Master

Quote from: Pace on February 04, 2016, 11:29:19 PM
Next time someone asks about why more people and/or cadets do not participate on this website, please reflect on this thread.

A cadet who is in serious need of help (which he knows) and guidance (which everyone made painfully clear) was flamed so badly that he might never come back and seek help here again. There certainly were some lessons to be learned here, but you also could remember back to being that age and throw him a bone before more gracefully guiding him to the importance of preparation and timeliness. I give him a little credit for seeking out a resource to resolve the situation he found himself in. If it became a pattern, that's a different story. We don't know his background or situation, and no one bothered to ask. YMMV

This website does not tolerate SMs berating cadets any more than it does Lt Cols berating Lts based solely on grade.

I totally agree. 

It is like when you have a new cadet who has a question and the reply...the only reply that he gets is "Well, It's all in E Services.."  Well, thanks a Pant-Load there Chet.  Not only does the Cadet not have an answer, nor the parents by the way, but you look like a Tool yourself.

Mentoring is not always a formal program, quite often it is one question, one deep breath, one simple answer at a time.

"Paratroopers, Because even US Marines need a Hero"
AIRBORNE!  ALL THE WAY
1Lt Roger C. Ayscue, CAP
MER-NC-162 CDC
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary
iredellcap.com