That’s the way we’ve always done that…

Started by Thonawit, February 04, 2016, 02:03:54 AM

Raikkonen

I personally came into my squadron and watched for the first 6 months.  I took notes on everything that I saw and when I was in a position with the proper grade to do so, I started crushing dreams.  I sat all of the Cadet leadership down and gave them my expectations and told them that change was coming but change is good.  We have tightened up significantly.  Maybe it was because I spent many many years as an NCO on Active Duty or maybe it was just me being fed up of seeing everything done incorrectly "Because that's how we always did it"... I'm not sure but our squadron is a better place for it and our Cadets have really shaped up.  Even the Seniors are starting to fall in line.  I was the first Senior internal to the squadron that they had ever seen wear the uniform that they were wearing.  They had gotten into the mindset that Seniors were just chaperons.  When they saw an Officer for the first time in the proper uniform for that particular meeting, it was an eye opener.  We have the power to shape things and make the organization better.  You just have to do it tactfully and with respect to the chain of command.  They will listen, and if they do not, take it higher.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Most Commanders have an open door policy and you can talk to them when you need to.   Hope this helps a little.  I have a lot of years of experience as a leader on active duty, I know ways of making people conform to the standard.  Feel free to PM me if you ever need advice/ mentorship.

Raikkonen

To caveat on that, I didn't mean literally crushing dreams.  That is a figurative speech from my days as a First Sergeant in the Army.  I basically just set the right example and held everyone accountable for their actions.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Raikkonen on February 09, 2016, 09:38:20 PM
I personally came into my squadron and watched for the first 6 months.  I took notes on everything that I saw and when I was in a position with the proper grade to do so, I started crushing dreams.  I sat all of the Cadet leadership down and gave them my expectations and told them that change was coming but change is good.  We have tightened up significantly.  Maybe it was because I spent many many years as an NCO on Active Duty or maybe it was just me being fed up of seeing everything done incorrectly "Because that's how we always did it"... I'm not sure but our squadron is a better place for it and our Cadets have really shaped up.  Even the Seniors are starting to fall in line.  I was the first Senior internal to the squadron that they had ever seen wear the uniform that they were wearing.  They had gotten into the mindset that Seniors were just chaperons.  When they saw an Officer for the first time in the proper uniform for that particular meeting, it was an eye opener.  We have the power to shape things and make the organization better.  You just have to do it tactfully and with respect to the chain of command.  They will listen, and if they do not, take it higher.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Most Commanders have an open door policy and you can talk to them when you need to.   Hope this helps a little.  I have a lot of years of experience as a leader on active duty, I know ways of making people conform to the standard.  Feel free to PM me if you ever need advice/ mentorship.

Quote from: Raikkonen on February 09, 2016, 09:40:02 PM
To caveat on that, I didn't mean literally crushing dreams.  That is a figurative speech from my days as a First Sergeant in the Army.  I basically just set the right example and held everyone accountable for their actions.

Sometimes people need that eye opening Come to Jesus speech. People need to know what the standards are, what you as the person in command authority expects, and how they need to work with one another to accomplish the mission and achieve the unit commander's vision.

There are so many people that just play the "it will die down" or "things will get better" and make absolutely no effort in accomplishing any of that. It not only sets the tone that you, as the leader, don't care to put the effort in and that your subordinates, especially in the cadet world, don't have any consequences and won't be held accountable.

I'm one to give the benefit of doubt in any situation, but I don't want excuses. I'll ask straight out: "Do you want this position? Let's discuss what that means before you respond." If the answer is yes, I will explain that I expect the position to be executed flawlessly. Now, I'm going to expect a strive for perfection even though I know it can never be achieved. But you need to learn from your mistakes and adapt. If I hear "I'll try" or "Well, I don't know with my busy schedule..." then this isn't the job for you. I would much rather someone put the bottom line up front and say "I'm not sure I can do this job" rather than me having to pull you aside, and I stress that. Do the mature thing and step aside so we can continue to improve, or I'll remove you by force. I don't care if you don't like me because of it, but I have more to think about than just Cadet Snowflake's feelings.