May NEC Live Web Stream & Play-by-Play

Started by MIKE, May 04, 2007, 01:20:26 PM

Pylon

Let's do it again... a play-by-play account for those watching the stream.  Log what you hear by posting it here.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

When I started watching this morning they were talking about Vanguard.  They said that if you are only ordering a few things, call the order in and they will give you a break on the shipping costs.  New site should be coming later this month... with more pictures.  Supposedly we will be able to order other stuff from Vanguard through the same site instead of just the CAP stuff.
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Sounds like anyone enrolled in any AF PME courses (SOS, War College...etc.) will have to take the tests at a military installation, OR be proctored by the State Director or Reservists, OR be proctored by two CAP members under approval from the State Director.  THIS will not apply to CAP SPECIFIC COURSES (AFIADLY 13...etc).  This takes effect 1 June 2007
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

CAP-USAF Commander, sitting next to Brig Gen Courter, is speaking (I came in middle of his report and picked up there...):

New Air Force PME Testing Policy will affect CAP members rolled in official Air Force PMEs.  AF has made efforts to ensure CAP members may continue to enroll and use AF PME courses, but must test at a military installation testing center.  The tests must be taken under suspervision of CAP-USAF SD or reservists, or under supervision of two CAP members with CAP-USAF SD permission.  Policy effective 1 June 2007.  New structure allows continued CAP access to AF courses.

Corporate Vehicles
USAFA Cadet (a Operations Research major) interning with NHQ Logistics transportation shop to utilize vehicle reporting data in a useful manner to CAP.  

Narrow-Band Frequencies
Delays because of need to work with Canadian and Mexican governments who do not have sense of urgency in solving these issues. Working with State Department to resolve these issues.

CAP Funding From AF Changing Classification
Previously our funding is classed as a Contract.  Will now change to "Grant".  Small victory.  "Will not solve all budget woes. Budget battles are fought day by day."

Statement of Work
CAP-USAF continues to work with CAP NHQ to draft new statement of work (SOW).  Air staff level updates to AFPD 10-27 and AFI 10-2701 occuring concurrently.

Concludes CAP-USAF CC report.  Entering question period for CAP-USAF CC; there was a question about computers and DRMO access and getting AF equipment.  NEC went on a break at 9:59am.

Pylon

NEC resumed session at 10:41am.

Promotion
Maj Gen Pineda promotes new Hawaii Wing Commander to Colonel and swears him in as a corporate officer.

Agenda Items:

1. Meeting Minutes
Approved NEC minutes unanimously.

2. Selection of Board of Governors "At-Large" Member
Nominations from list of applicants by secret paper ballot.  One member who applied did not meet minimum training requirements (Paul Gerst), but was on the list anyways.  Each NEC member can nominate up to two persons.  Our own John Kachenmeister was on the list!  Other recognizable names include Dwight Wheless and George Boyd.  21 applicants total.

(Pineda jokes a mortician will be on staff at Hawk in case any of the NEC members wish to go and die there.   He encourages all members to put in their applications to Hawk Mountain.  There will be trailers there for them.)

Stream cuts out at this point.

Monty

Thanks for doing this; just upgraded to Windows Vista and while I love EVERYTHING about the update, I haven't figured out the configurations to make WMP work.

No streaming for me.  :(

Pylon

Agenda Items (con't)
2. BOG Nominations (con't)

My stream resumed at 10:57.  At least five NEC members spoke in support of General Wheless.  Leadership, legal background, ability to work with legislators, and his dedication and service to Civil Air Patrol were brought up.  Col Levitich called him a "class act" and a "gentleman."

Ballots were collected at this time.
Gen. Wheless was unanimously elected to the BOG, starting term in August.

3.  ??
Col. Levitich withdraws "Agenda Item #3" with no mention of what it was.  Anybody have the agenda handy?

4. National Paging System
Passed over for later discussion??

5.  Transfer of Crossfield Funds
No more NCASE, money to be transferred to National Aviation Hall of Fame by request of Crossfield family.  No comments, motion passes unanimously.  Moving quickly.

6.  Regulation & Crontrol of CAP participation in "Booster Clubs" Col Weiss
Prefer to form an ad-hoc committee to research this further to develop "definitive guidelines for booster clubs and Civil Air Patrol."  NEC unan. votes to send to ad-hoc commitee.

Windows Media Player tries to run an update just as item 7 begins, stops my web stream.  I curse Microsoft's name several times; co-worker looks across the office at me confused.  Attempts to reconnect to stream indicate it may not be broadcasting right now?  Anybody else having issues?

captrncap

Quote from: Pylon on May 04, 2007, 01:54:23 PM
New Air Force PME Testing Policy will affect CAP members rolled in official Air Force PMEs.  AF has made efforts to ensure CAP members may continue to enroll and use AF PME courses, but must test at a military installation testing center.  The tests must be taken under supervision of CAP-USAF SD or reservists, or under supervision of two CAP members with CAP-USAF SD permission.  Policy effective 1 June 2007.  New structure allows continued CAP access to AF courses.

Any mention about current enrollees or the logistics if you don't live near a base or how you can be "approved"?

mikeylikey

Quote from: captrncap on May 04, 2007, 03:01:37 PM
New Air Force PME Testing Policy will affect CAP members rolled in official Air Force PMEs.  AF has made efforts to ensure CAP members may continue to enroll and use AF PME courses, but must test at a military installation testing center.  The tests must be taken under supervision of CAP-USAF SD or reservists, or under supervision of two CAP members with CAP-USAF SD permission.  Policy effective 1 June 2007.  New structure allows continued CAP access to AF courses.

Any mention about current enrollees or the logistics if you don't live near a base or how you can be "approved"?

As I understood it, you can take it at a military installation, OR under proctor from SD/Reservists. OR from 2 CAP members approved by the SD. 
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Quote from: captrncap on May 04, 2007, 03:01:37 PM

I didn't hear specific mention of that issue.  It sounds like either you take the exams on a military installation OR you use one of the other two options (CAP-USAF SD or reservists, or two CAP members with permission of SD).  Some of the discussion is difficult to hear, based on where NEC members are sitting relative to the microphone so I may not have gotten it all.  Either way, it looks like you need to coordinate it all through the CAP-USAF SD anyways, who would be able to better tell you about your options.

wingnut

I am frustrated with the stream, I use this all the time but this being my first CAP web stream it seems poorly implimented, we should at least have an audio feed. Very frustrated with CAP technology as used. . . SDIS works poorly, Narrow band is  a maybe, Archer. . . nice name but???, NM and CALIF aircraft could not use repeaters in AZ last summer.  IMU used on missions is a nightmare.

I Vent, I wanna watch the NEC, three computers none can pick it up for long, not my end at their end

Pylon

My webstream resumes at 11:20am

Agenda Items (con't)
11. ???
Not sure what they're discussing.  Can't use federal appropriated funds for this program (travel expenses) even if a volunteer person.  Some amendment to part 2.(c) made.   Maj Gen Pineda recognized Maj Gen Bowling to the floor - asked for clarification of what this position is.  Government Relations position presented as amended.  Passes unanimously as amended.

12. Agenda Item Submission Procedure  Brig Gen Courter
Brig Gen Courter asking to codify procedure for submitting agenda items to NEC and NB(?).  Asking for a clear and transparent process. Motion is asking by-laws and constitution committee to propose appropriate changes to create this process.  Col Carter seconds.  Discussion clarifying what this amendment is asking for.  Gen Courter indicates that by-laws amendments, etc. should not be picked up during new business (Ed. note: horray!) - people need time to consider these agenda items in a transparent process. (Ed. note: I love the sentiment behind this! How about stopping brand new uniforms and sweeping changes from being introduced during new business?).   Motion passes unanimously.

13. Safety mishap classification Brig Gen Courter
Safety mishap/accident classification system proposal. Put CAPF 78 and 79 online.  Move NEC includes a classification system into pending rewrite of CAPR 62-2. 

Classifications:   Categories: Aircraft, Vehicle, bodily. 
Class/level of each report:  Accident, Mishap, Minor incident.

Hope to encourage more reporting and tracking of even minor occurances.  Will give CAP a much better picture of even the small safety issues agency wide.  Will also help cover CAP liability-wise.

Motion passes unanimously.

14.  ???
Moved from agenda item to plain-ol' discussion?  Brief interruption in my webstream.

15. Primary Flight Instruction for CAP Senior Members
CAP has members who do not live near FBO who wish to complete flight training.  Col Kaufmann has information about this situation.  May have issues with FAA regs or Federal Economy Act. 

Gen Pineda indicates Wing CCs can currently waiver something related to this. 

Under Gens Bobick and Bowling FAA Assoc. Administrator was met with before about this to do primary flight training for CAP members in Alaska.  FAA said CAP is not allowed to compete with for-profits because our planes are provided by federal money.  FAA gave the waiver in Alaska because there were no FBOs around they were competing with.

FAA allowing training to higher ratings in CAP planes for S'members because FAA requires higher ratings for various pilot types/missions within CAP.  CAP allowed to fly and train cadets for free because of our congressionally mandated AE mission.

Comments made: CAP is gaining in mission pilot numbers.  Proposal is a good idea, deferring to legal guidance on Title 10 provisions/exemptions.  Provisions in Title 10 (which are not B&W) give CAP some exemptions to allow competing with private sector. 

Female NEC member commented that it's only fair to CAP members who give of their time, talent, and lots of money to CAP to allow them to train to private pilot through CAP.  (Ed Note: Like the sentiment behind that comment.)

Gen Pineda accidentally calls Courter "Col Courter" but corrects himself.  :D  Gen Courter disagrees with motion for reasons I could not hear.  Pineda ends discussion to put to a vote, as discussion was getting lengthy.

Motion made to table this.  Passed unanimously.  Agenda item tabled.  Sent to Operations Committee to later report to NB on their recommendations.

Break at 11:51 for lunch, scheduled to reconvene at 1pm in closed session.  Closed session recommended by a NEC member to consider "several items" including "some awards."  Stream cuts out.

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on May 04, 2007, 03:27:37 PM
...Discussion clarifying what this amendment is asking for.  Gen Courter indicates that by-laws amendments, etc. should not be picked up during new business (Ed. note: horray!) - people need time to consider these agenda items in a transparent process. (Ed. note: I love the sentiment behind this! How about stopping brand new uniforms and sweeping changes from being introduced during new business?)

I say "absolutely" to both.   :)

alamrcn

I can NEVER see these things! I've tried view every CAP board web stream since they started them, and on numerous computers, and always my "proxy" setting are wrong or something. No changes I make seemto help. This is also the same with Gen Pineda's little messages.

What am I doing wrong, or what is Civil Air Patrol doing different than the rest of the internet - as I don't have this problem with any other streaming video or audio.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Tim Medeiros

I was hoping for item 15 to pass, I started training as a cadet but could not finish due to circumstances beyond my control, turned 21 and now I'm sitting with a year since I started and 28 hours and not enough money to continue at any of the flight schools in the area.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Pylon

Quote from: alamrcn on May 04, 2007, 05:16:30 PM
I can NEVER see these things! I've tried view every CAP board web stream since they started them, and on numerous computers, and always my "proxy" setting are wrong or something. No changes I make seemto help. This is also the same with Gen Pineda's little messages.

What am I doing wrong, or what is Civil Air Patrol doing different than the rest of the internet - as I don't have this problem with any other streaming video or audio.

-Ace

I don't know what people's issues are with the webstream; maybe compatiability issues, or software version conflicts or something.  There were two not-too-long interruptions of the stream on my end from when I tuned in to lunch break.  I have a standard-issue, stripped-down workplace Windows XP box here at my office and the stream worked flawlessly.  No fancy software, no fancy add-ons, no super-duper hardware.

Not sure what the issue might be, but it does work for some of us.

Update at 1:30pm:  Still in Closed Session

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: alamrcn on May 04, 2007, 05:16:30 PM

-Ace

I have the same issue

Tim Medeiros

TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

wingnut

Looks like the GA 8 pilot requirements are going to be dropped down fromm 500 hours to 300 hours an Instrument rated..

That's good