Main Menu

CAP Promotional Video

Started by TheSkyHornet, September 04, 2015, 03:53:31 PM

TheSkyHornet

Looking for ideas and volunteers to help make a new, modernized CAP recruiting video/commercial.

Open to any and all suggestions.

winterg

Color me interested. I'm pretty amateurish with video, but have a modicum of skill with graphics and logos and design ideas. 

TheSkyHornet

I wrote up a storyline proposal. It's pretty much a script, and pretty basic without visuals.

(Cadet 1):         
"I'm a student."            
Scene: Classroom/students

(Senior Member 1):
"I'm a mentor."            
Scene: Scene: Classroom/teaching

(Cadet 2):         
"I'm an athlete."         
Scene: Scene: Physical Fitness

(Senior Member 2):      
"I'm a pilot."            
Scene: Scene: CAP plane

(Cadet 3):         
"I'm a member of a team."      
Scene: Scene: Obstacle course/encampment

(Cadet 4):         
"I'm a member of a mission."      
Scene: Scene: Search and Rescue

(Senior Member 3):      
"I serve my community."      
Scene: Scene: Emergency services/FEMA

(Cadet 7):         
"I live by my core values."      
Cadet formation

(Cadet 6):         
"I stand by my oath."         
Scene: Saluting U.S. Flag

(Cadet 8):          
"I am the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary."   
Scene: Portrait shot of the cadet

(Cadet 9):          

(Senior Member 4):      
Scene: Portrait shot of the senior member

(Senior Member 5):      

Close out with the CAP seal/emblem and www.gocivilairpatrol.com. Throw in some slow concert-snare/hymn-like music.

Just an idea I'm throwing out there

Capt Thompson

Good storyboard. Mine has a similar concept but different execution, when I get time this weekend I'll write it up. I say we get together 2 or 3 different storyboards, and then figure out how to shoot and edit them similarly, so they look unified rather than 3 videos from 3 different Squadrons. I'll be messaging my Cadet Staff this evening to get them and the other Cadets on board.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

winterg

Find a good USAF recruiting video and remake it shot for shot with CAP personnel and equipment.

Fubar

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 04, 2015, 05:27:45 PM
(Cadet 9):          

Great idea, but we really need to use our organization's name. Obviously we need to effectively communicate our relationship with the Air Force, perhaps something to do with being part of the "Total Force" doctrine?

winterg

Quote from: Fubar on September 04, 2015, 06:07:19 PM
(Cadet 9):

Great idea, but we really need to use our organization's name. Obviously we need to effectively communicate our relationship with the Air Force, perhaps something to do with being part of the "Total Force" doctrine?
Why not play up the Aux status and being part of the USAF instead of being separate but with a connection?

SarDragon

Quote from: winterg on September 04, 2015, 06:10:51 PM
(Cadet 9):

Why not play up the Aux status and being part of the USAF instead of being separate but with a connection?

Partly because our name is Civil Air Patrol. Says so right in the laws creating us. Regardless of the current acknowledgement, we are still, structurally, a civilian corporation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Thompson

At one time, CAP was more popular than the Boy Scouts, and everyone knew who you were talking about. I'd say let's definitely play up the fact that we're on the Air Force team, but keep our name at the forefront.
Capt Matt Thompson

MisterCD

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on September 04, 2015, 06:23:19 PM
At one time, CAP was more popular than the Boy Scouts, and everyone knew who you were talking about. I'd say let's definitely play up the fact that we're on the Air Force team, but keep our name at the forefront.

The most cadets at any one time in terms of approximate numbers is 80,000 in June 1945. Postwar, 52,977 in 1964. I doubt we have  trumped the Boy Scouts in numbers, visibility, or popularity.

A.Member

I wrote up a storyline proposal. It's pretty much a script, and pretty basic without visuals.

(Cadet 1):         
"I'm a student."            
Scene: Classroom/students

(Senior Member 1):
"I'm a mentor."            
Scene: Scene: Classroom/teaching

(Cadet 2):         
"I'm an athlete."         
Scene: Scene: Physical Fitness

(Senior Member 2):      
"I'm a pilot."            
Scene: Scene: CAP plane

(Cadet 3):         
"I'm a member of a team."      
Scene: Scene: Obstacle course/encampment

(Cadet 4):         
"I'm a member of a mission."      
Scene: Scene: Search and Rescue

(Senior Member 3):      
"I serve my community."      
Scene: Scene: Emergency services/FEMA

(Cadet 7):         
"I live by my core values."      
Cadet formation

(Cadet 6):         
"I stand by my oath."         
Scene: Saluting U.S. Flag

(Cadet 8):          

(Cadet 9):          

(Senior Member 4):      

(Senior Member 5):      

Close out with the CAP seal/emblem and www.gocivilairpatrol.com. Throw in some slow concert-snare/hymn-like music.

Just an idea I'm throwing out there
So, you're essentially looking to create this video again?
https://youtu.be/4vcz916RXXg
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Capt Thompson

Cadets plus Seniors sir, reached well over 100K for many years according to the annual reports to Congress found on the Cap History website, which did top BSA at the time, according to BSA figures. Either way, we used to pretty much be a household name, and should be again.
Capt Matt Thompson

LSThiker

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on September 04, 2015, 06:43:04 PM
Cadets plus Seniors sir, reached well over 100K for many years according to the annual reports to Congress found on the Cap History website, which did top BSA at the time, according to BSA figures. Either way, we used to pretty much be a household name, and should be again.

It depends on which numbers you use.  However, for the Boy Scouts of America, here are the numbers since 1910:

Attached is a pdf for CAP numbers since 1950 (if any one wants to fill in the numbers from 1941 to 1950, that would be great):

A.Member

^ Seriously?!  You guys are going to debate who had higher enrollment numbers 70 years ago? ...numbers which carry no true relevance today!  Where is that 'bang your head against a brick wall' smiley?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

LSThiker

Quote from: A.Member on September 04, 2015, 07:02:45 PM
^ Seriously?!  You guys are going to debate who had higher enrollment numbers 70 years ago? ...numbers which carry no true relevance today!  Where is that 'bang your head against a brick wall' smiley?

Nope, putting an end to this numbers conversation before it gets to a debate.  Just using real facts to demonstrate the history of the organization.

Capt Thompson

Either way, CAP has dipped considerably in numbers and public awareness over the years. The only reason we're "the Air Force's best kept secret" is because we don't have a public image. The point of the thread is to change that.....so your input in doing so is greatly appreciated.
Capt Matt Thompson

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on September 04, 2015, 05:53:15 PM
Good storyboard. Mine has a similar concept but different execution, when I get time this weekend I'll write it up. I say we get together 2 or 3 different storyboards, and then figure out how to shoot and edit them similarly, so they look unified rather than 3 videos from 3 different Squadrons. I'll be messaging my Cadet Staff this evening to get them and the other Cadets on board.

Definitely my intention.

I talked with my squadron PAO who is very much on board with the idea. Made by CAP for CAP.

Quote from: winterg on September 04, 2015, 05:54:26 PM
Find a good USAF recruiting video and remake it shot for shot with CAP personnel and equipment.

Based my idea off of military recruiting videos. Surprisingly, there are a lot of homemade recruiting videos that are actually pretty good. We just need to get our own shots in there rather than stealing from existing videos.

Quote from: SarDragon on September 04, 2015, 06:16:27 PM
Quote from: winterg on September 04, 2015, 06:10:51 PM
(Cadet 9):

Partly because our name is Civil Air Patrol. Says so right in the laws creating us. Regardless of the current acknowledgement, we are still, structurally, a civilian corporation.

Fair enough. It was just a script proposal. Appreciate the criticism/suggestion.

Quote from: A.Member on September 04, 2015, 06:41:01 PM
So, you're essentially looking to create this video again?
https://youtu.be/4vcz916RXXg

Meh, kinda but not really. I actually made that entire script sitting at the computer just thinking of it in my head. I didn't even know that "I'm a volunteer" video existed. I do feel that video is somewhat bland.

This doesn't need to be a numbers debate. We already know what CAP does and who we are. We want to bring that to the people that might not know all of that yet in a quick burst of information and excitementto make someone want to learn more. Let's not dwell on "CAP vs. Boy Scouts." It's a CAP video. Make it so.

Fubar

As long as we're spitballing here, let's ensure we use the proper audio equipment if we're going to be using audio recorded in the field. Even the videos published by the National Commander lack professional quality audio. Using the microphone built into the camera/phone is a no-no.

Speaking of phones, don't forget that your latest smart phone likely shoots hi-quality HD video. It's lighting and audio that takes a little work.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Fubar on September 04, 2015, 08:58:28 PM
As long as we're spitballing here, let's ensure we use the proper audio equipment if we're going to be using audio recorded in the field. Even the videos published by the National Commander lack professional quality audio. Using the microphone built into the camera/phone is a no-no.

Speaking of phones, don't forget that your latest smart phone likely shoots hi-quality HD video. It's lighting and audio that takes a little work.

The problem with phones is that phones are jittery. You don't want anything to look like someone just jumped out of the CAP airplane while trying to film a CAP airplane :P

I would recommend against any field audio. The only audio I think we should go with is either interview audio (from the person directly speaking to the camera, in quiet building) or a voiceover. I'm usually one to be all-inclusive, but in this case, I would say when it comes to selecting someone based on their speech patterns, you would want people who are clear when they talk, and no lisping/impediments.

MisterCD

Quote from: LSThiker on September 04, 2015, 07:08:56 PM
Quote from: A.Member on September 04, 2015, 07:02:45 PM

Nope, putting an end to this numbers conversation before it gets to a debate.  Just using real facts to demonstrate the history of the organization.

And the CAP side.