Profile "Unit" field one character short

Started by Jon Moser, August 14, 2015, 02:20:25 PM

Jon Moser

Hello,

I am updating my profile and noticed that the "Unit" field is one character short. I recently transferred to SWR-SWR-001, however the best I can put in to the field is SWR-SWR001. Could the length of the field be increased by one? If not, no worries.

Thanks!
JONATHAN R. MOSER, Capt, CAP
Director of IT
Southwest Region

jeders

Quote from: Jon Moser on August 14, 2015, 02:20:25 PM
Hello,

I am updating my profile and noticed that the "Unit" field is one character short. I recently transferred to SWR-SWR-001, however the best I can put in to the field is SWR-SWR001. Could the length of the field be increased by one? If not, no worries.

Thanks!

Or you could drop the redundant SWR, just sayin'.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eaker Guy

Ummm, the way I've been taught to give my unit designation is (region)-(wing)-###. For example, my unit is MER-MD-004. I believe you are placing your region abbreviation twice.

LSThiker

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on August 14, 2015, 03:20:09 PM
Ummm, the way I've been taught to give my unit designation is (region)-(wing)-###. For example, my unit is MER-MD-004. I believe you are placing your region abbreviation twice.

That is because that is how region and above denote their units in eServices:

SWR-SWR-001
NHQ-NHQ-004
GLR-GLR-001

But yes, most members would understand simply:
SWR-001
NHQ-004
GLR-001

Storm Chaser

He's assigned to Southeast Region, not a wing. The region is supposed to be there twice.

EDIT:  Didn't see the post above before replying.

JeffDG

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 14, 2015, 03:28:07 PM

He's assigned to Southeast Region, not a wing. The region is supposed to be there twice.

Southeast Region is such a good region that it, indeed, should be listed twice.

Southwest Region, where the OP is assigned, not so much.  :)

Storm Chaser

Quote from: JeffDG on August 14, 2015, 04:04:53 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 14, 2015, 03:28:07 PM

Southeast Region is such a good region that it, indeed, should be listed twice.

Southwest Region, where the OP is assigned, not so much.  :)

Be nice, now... ;)

Eaker Guy

Quote from: LSThiker on August 14, 2015, 03:27:26 PM

That is because that is how region and above denote their units in eServices:

SWR-SWR-001
NHQ-NHQ-004
GLR-GLR-001

But yes, most members would understand simply:
SWR-001
NHQ-004
GLR-001

Oh. Well, I suppose you learn something new every day. OP, I apologize for the hasty reply!

Good luck at your new unit!

Eaker Guy

Wait a minute! Did I tell a region guy that his designation was wrong?  :o  :-X

I'll write my letter of resignation now....

dwb

As another Region guy, I am authorized to pardon you for your offense.

I didn't say I would mind you, just that I could. ;D

Storm Chaser

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on August 14, 2015, 06:49:12 PM

Many of the members you reply to here in CAP Talk are in group, wing, region or national positions. ;)

Eaker Guy

Quote from: dwb on August 14, 2015, 06:51:59 PM
As another Region guy, I am authorized to pardon you for your offense.

I didn't say I would mind you, just that I could. ;D

Hahaha. Good to hear from you sir!

Tim Medeiros

Wait a minute! Did I tell a region guy that his designation was wrong?  :o :-X

Luckily I don't think he's seen this yet, he's been dealing with work and other things.

I'll point this out to him later though  ;) ;D
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Jon Moser

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on August 14, 2015, 11:26:47 PM
Luckily I don't think he's seen this yet, he's been dealing with work and other things.

I'll point this out to him later though  ;) ;D

That you did.

Hahahaha

No worries. I thought it was odd the first time I saw the region level unit designation too. No resignation needed ;)

I considered going with SWR-001 if the admins stated the unit field couldn't be modified. I figured I would try it the other way first.
JONATHAN R. MOSER, Capt, CAP
Director of IT
Southwest Region

Eaker Guy

Resisting common sense, I'm posting on this thread again.  :-\

I think SWR-001 sounds fine. It gets the point across(that is, for those that know what the point is.)  ;)

I may never look at a unit designation the same again...

And I thank the wing/region guys that have politely shown me the error in my single minded ways. My friends tell me I talk to much. Maybe if I wasn't talking I would have heard them. :(

Capt. Moser, I sincerely hope your issue gets resolved in the most expedient way possible. I also apologize for hijacking your thread. Maybe CAP Talk should add a WING/REGION only thread so that brainless 17 year olds don't post on threads they shouldn't.

Best of luck,

C/Maj Kiss, CAP

SarDragon

We would much prefer trainable brain-dead cadets posting here than some of the obstinate brain-dead SMs that have shown up over the years.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eaker Guy

Quote from: SarDragon on August 15, 2015, 05:16:33 AM
We would much prefer trainable brain-dead cadets posting here than some of the obstinate brain-dead SMs that have shown up over the years.

Well, I'm glad I'm not a complete flop.

PHall

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on August 15, 2015, 12:31:01 PM

Nagh, you're entertaining! ;)

Eaker Guy

Quote from: PHall on August 15, 2015, 02:39:10 PM
Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on August 15, 2015, 12:31:01 PM

Nagh, you're entertaining! ;)

Haha. Well I'll try to look on the upside!

Гугл переводчик

Strange... the "unit" on my postings seem to be fine..
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

SarDragon

AAA-AA-NNN =/= AAA-AAA-NNN

Yours is the first format; his is the second. There is only room for 10 characters. He has 11. Thus spake the programmer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on August 15, 2015, 06:15:38 PM

The OP is assigned to a Region Headquarters. Region designators have three letters vs two for wings.

dwb

Quote from: PHall on August 15, 2015, 08:19:10 PMThe OP is assigned to a Region Headquarters. Region designators have three letters vs two for wings.
That's because we're one better.

Quote from: SarDragon on August 15, 2015, 08:18:20 PMThere is only room for 10 characters.
Region HQ goes to 11.

Гугл переводчик

Quote from: PHall on August 15, 2015, 08:19:10 PM
Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on August 15, 2015, 06:15:38 PM

The OP is assigned to a Region Headquarters. Region designators have three letters vs two for wings.

Ah I see now, my mistake!
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

JC004

We will give you 14 days to transfer in order to bring yourself into compliance with CAPTalk standards. 

Alaric

When you look people up in ops quals and they are assigned to region their 101 card indicates their unit is RRR-001 not RRR-RRR-001

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Alaric on August 17, 2015, 12:01:31 PM
When you look people up in ops quals and they are assigned to region their 101 card indicates their unit is RRR-001 not RRR-RRR-001
Just a note, Ops Qual isn't the authority for unit charter numbers.

If you look in the Membership Application, Organization Maintenance module it shows that Region HQ charter numbers are RRR-RRR-001 for HQ and RRR-RRR-000 for the region holding unit.  Of course, you need region scope for this.

Alternatively you can piece together this information using the Organization table in CAPWATCH DownLoad, it lists all active units in CAP no matter your assigned scope.  (Pro tip, Commanders table also lists all of the CCs in CAP, using that information and OpsQual which is read-only nation-wide presently you can email a commander if needed)
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811