Delay of Promotion Due to Lack Of Personnel? Really???

Started by CAPDCCMOM, April 24, 2015, 03:46:15 PM

kwe1009

Simple solution:

Ask your commander specifically why this cadet must wait until July for a simple drill test.  If the reason is "not enough cadets" then ask why can't Senior Members be used.  If he says "not authorized" or something like that then ask for the regulation reference.  If he still doesn't budge then let him know that you are going to talk to the Wing cadet programs staff to see if they have a solution to not hold up this cadet for so long.  If the commander balks at that then you really need to think about going up the chain of command because this commander does not seem to have the interest of his squadron members at heart.

Both you and your commander should be looking for solutions to help the cadet.  it seems that you are but your commander is not.

Garibaldi

I call BS and shenanigans.

For someone to say that a cadet has to wait to be promoted because of X, Y, or Z, and they can't supply answers as to why, and as long as those reasons do not include disciplinary reasons, time in grade, or incomplete qualifications, then I call BS and someone needs to fix it. If the unit CC is the one stalling, then the next available in the chain needs to be consulted IMO. I will do what I need to make sure my cadets are happy, active and promoting.

They are why we are here, most of us. At least those of us in CP. Stop the BS and stop it for all time.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 30, 2015, 09:14:54 PM
Simple solution:

Ask your commander specifically why this cadet must wait until July for a simple drill test.  If the reason is "not enough cadets" then ask why can't Senior Members be used.  If he says "not authorized" or something like that then ask for the regulation reference.  If he still doesn't budge then let him know that you are going to talk to the Wing cadet programs staff to see if they have a solution to not hold up this cadet for so long.  If the commander balks at that then you really need to think about going up the chain of command because this commander does not seem to have the interest of his squadron members at heart.

Both you and your commander should be looking for solutions to help the cadet.  it seems that you are but your commander is not.

Why is this even an issue? The CDC should be dealing with this. The CC has a job to do, and micromanaging a drill test is not one of them. Is your unit small? Under 4 cadets? Is there a reason you cannot have 3 more cadets fall out to form a square? There's simply not enough details, and I'll take my comment back and apologize for my extrapolations. But you come in here, with a "Delay of Promotion Due to Lack Of Personnel? Really???" title, which at the very least implies a very personal affront, and hints (along with your latest post) to a newer member thrown into the deep end of the pool where they simply can't manage to keep their neck above water. Not to mention the CDC coming to Captalk to hash this out instead of addressing it with the commander then and there hints at a poorly working leadership dynamic between the two of you.

Look, you need help with regs? This is a decent place to ask. You need advice? Sure thing. But give us the details.

I was a cadet.
I was a cadet commander.
I am a senior.
I am the assistant CDC and dabble in encampment staff.

Send me a PM, whether on this issue if more detail is "pushing it" on some buttons, or any other questions. I'll help where I can, because at the end of the day, thank you for stepping up to the task, and yes, we know it's hard to wrap your head around it when you're new (and even now...in year 13...).

Tim Day

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on April 30, 2015, 08:44:23 PM
Actually, No it was not my Kid. My job is to see every Cadet as my "kid". I would advocate just as hard for any Cadet. I was and am still trying to figure out regulations that read like Chinese to English translations for setting up a stereo.

Ask a question, get blasted on this forum. Don't ask and pretend....fit right in in this forum.
Many CDCs are parents or other Senior Members who are sacrificing time and emotional energy to do something good for the young adults in our Cadet Program, despite lacking as much familiarity with the CAPR 52-16 and other regulations as would be ideal. As soon as time permits, I hope you'll take the Officer Basic Course (if you haven't already) and Training Leaders of Cadets (TLC). These will help understand the regulations and the culture behind them.

Wing staffs have a person available who can mentor and support struggling CDCs - the Director of Cadet Programs. In the OBC lesson on CAP Chain of Command, there is a scenario which has some parallels to yours that illustrates how a CDC can discuss an issue with the DCP without violating the chain of command, get some advice, and in turn provide a good recommendation to the CC.

Yes, you will encounter individuals on this forum who "blast" although I suspect many don't realize they are coming across as unprofessional. However, there are a few individuals here who really do care (even if they sometimes come across as gruff). The NHQ Director of Cadet Programs also hangs out here and sometimes comments.

I'd be interested to see how your situation turns out, if you feel like sharing. Feel free to update me via PM if you don't want to broadcast.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Brit_in_CAP

I'd like to support Lt Col Day's comments; the OBC and TLC add great value and are well worth the time needed to complete them.

I've been a CDC until recently and benefitted greatly from some mentoring from both the Wing Staff and from an older and wiser CAP member - I'd recommend finding one to help you generally, ideally outside of your chain of command so they have a different perspective.

Lt Col Day is also wholly correct concerning the time and emotional energy that we contribute to the cadet program; pace yourself.

Most of all - enjoy CAP! 

Antony Davies
Captain, CAP
VA-002