All of The Different Uniforms

Started by Jakemiller31u, April 01, 2015, 11:06:56 PM

Jakemiller31u

So I have been trying to get a picture in my mind of what all of the uniforms look like and when they are worn. I have been having some trouble finding some so I have come here.

Correct me if any of my information is wrong of when we can wear these and what they look like!!

Ok so the Class B Uniform is classified as a Service Uniform and one we would wear to unit meetings and conferences etc. This uniform is a short and long sleeved uniform. Tie is mandatory with long sleeves but optional with short.

Next up we have the Semi-Formal which is considered a Dress Uniform and is worn to social functions. The Semi-Formal is worn with a long sleeve, white shirt...This uniform is the equivalent to a tuxedo. (Question about this uniform: Where are us cadets able to get the blue blazer?)

Now I know about the BDU and the Mess Dress Uniforms. I was not able to find information about the Class A Service Uniform although.

Would someone be able to educate me about anything I may have missed and also about the Class A Uniform?

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Jakemiller31u

That is the exact place I pulled this information from.....except I can't find the class A uniform..

abdsp51

The Service dress uniform or Class is in 39-1 and it is before the class b uniforms.  It is in the first couple of chapters in regards to AF style uniforms.  Since the manual is a pdf control-f us your friend.

Plane

This is the Class A uniform, or service dress.  It's a long sleeved blues shirt with a Class A jacket (old or new style for cadets, new style for seniors).  Details on accoutrements can be found in section 4.1.5.4.  The jackets can be bought from AAFES and some other stores that may carry them.
C/2d Lt Matt Claar
Mitchell Award #65121

Jakemiller31u

Thank you C/2d Lt. and the rest of the you guys for the answers.

Now, some cadet staff members I have seen at my squadron wear the Class A dress uniform when we have to wear blues for the meeting. Is it really our choice to wear Class A or Class B? Some cadet staff wear it and some do not..

PHall

Quote from: Jakemiller31u on April 02, 2015, 01:55:06 AM
Thank you C/2d Lt. and the rest of the you guys for the answers.

Now, some cadet staff members I have seen at my squadron wear the Class A dress uniform when we have to wear blues for the meeting. Is it really our choice to wear Class A or Class B? Some cadet staff wear it and some do not..

That's something you need to ask your squadron leadership about.

abdsp51

Negative.  The service dress uniform is not soley a long sleeve shirt with the coat.  It can be any blues shirt.

TexasBEAST

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 02, 2015, 03:42:58 AM
Negative.  The service dress uniform is not soley a long sleeve shirt with the coat.  It can be any blues shirt.
First I'd ever heard of that.

A blue shirt uni is just a service uni.

To go to service dress uni status, you need the coat and tie.

39-1 repeatedly refers to service dress as Class A, now, while a mere blue shirt is referred to as Class B. They're really different aminals.
--TB

abdsp51

The service dress uniform requires a the blues uniform with tie and coat.  It is not required when wearing the class a uniform to be in a long sleeve blue shirt. 

Go back and read what was posted before trying to correct.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Plane on April 02, 2015, 01:22:25 AM

This is the Class A uniform, or service dress.  It's a long sleeved blue shirt with a Class A jacket (old or new style for cadets, new style for seniors).  Details on accoutrements can be found in section 4.1.5.4.  The jackets can be bought from AAFES and some other stores that may carry them.

Please, please use the correct terminology for uniform items. This stuff is already confusing, clarity is important.

A coat is not the same as a jacket. Likewise, a blouse is not a coat or a shirt, a hat is not a cap, etc.

When in doubt, look at what it is called in 39-1, confirm by referring to the label sewn to the item.

(The blue uniform item with the silver buttons depicted in your post is a "coat.")

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Plane

Yes, technically a short or long sleeved shirt can be worn, but it can look odd to have no cuffs under the coat.
C/2d Lt Matt Claar
Mitchell Award #65121

LSThiker

Quote from: Plane on April 02, 2015, 01:18:37 PM

Yes, technically a short or long sleeved shirt can be worn, but it can look odd to have no cuffs under the coat.

If you have your coat sleeves correctly done and are wearing the correct long-sleeve blues shirt, you should not see the cuffs anyway:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1
With arms hanging naturally, long sleeves will end ¼ to ½ inch below the wrist, but not be visible below the sleeves of the service coat.

LTC Don

This is true.  But, BITD, it did matter.  The Air Force used to have a 'non-convertible' blue summer shirt that didn't have a top button nor epaulets, so since it didn't support a tie, one had to wear the long-sleeve blue shirt with the service jacket.  This short-sleeve, open collar shirt (I THINK -- could be wrong so probably am), became known as the 'Class B' summer uniform.  In the '80's, the Air Force developed the new-style short-sleeve blue shirt that we know today, and since it has the top button, it can be worn under the service coat since it supports a tie.

Having a hard time finding a good pic with the old shirts.  Here is one from the old TV show Project UFO, with the characters wearing the old-style short-sleeve shirts.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Luis R. Ramos

LST,

You beat me to that quote from 39-1. Also if one looks at the photos with the Service Coat, no shirt sleeve cuff is visible.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Plane

Quote from: LSThiker on April 02, 2015, 01:35:57 PM
Quote from: Plane on April 02, 2015, 01:18:37 PM

If you have your coat sleeves correctly done and are wearing the correct long-sleeve blues shirt, you should not see the cuffs anyway:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1
With arms hanging naturally, long sleeves will end ¼ to ½ inch below the wrist, but not be visible below the sleeves of the service coat.

What I more meant was that if you're able to see into the sleeve (i.e. with arms on a desk) and see no sleeves it looks odd, in my personal opinion.
C/2d Lt Matt Claar
Mitchell Award #65121

Papabird

Quote from: Plane on April 02, 2015, 04:59:59 PM
What I more meant was that if you're able to see into the sleeve (i.e. with arms on a desk) and see no sleeves it looks odd, in my personal opinion.

It might look odd to you, but completely authorized in both CAP and USAF.  I actually prefer short sleeves under a Service Coat in the summer and long sleeves in the winter.  Mostly so if/when I take the coat off, I can remove the tie, and go open collar (in summer).  But if I was doing Color Guard, I would always wear long sleeves (holding the colors shows more arm than normal).

It is up to the local commander and/or the individual.
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

Toth

Like was said above, it depends vastly on the squadron. At my squadron only C/MSgt and above wear the class a jacket during normal meetings, except in special cases, like colorguard, parades etc. but other than that, the short sleeve blues shirt is usually worn, for both males and females.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

TexasBEAST

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 02, 2015, 04:30:45 AM
The service dress uniform requires a the blues uniform with tie and coat.  It is not required when wearing the class a uniform to be in a long sleeve blue shirt. 

Go back and read what was posted before trying to correct.
I did.

What was posted before was what the various blues uniform combos are called, and what they consist of.

Then you wrote a confusing post, inferring that the "service dress uniform", or "it", "can be any blues shirt".

I'm sorry, but the service dress uniform cannot "be" any blues shirt.

It can "include", or "comprise", or "be put together with" any blues shirt, but it can't simply "be" any blue shirt.

It takes the coat, too.

(And pants or a skirt, amongst other things!)

That's where my confusion arose. Just a poor choice of words that threw me.

I'm waiting for the first CAP cadet to show up to a meeting with just a really long blues shirt and no bottoms. "But CAPTalk said..."  ;D
--TB

LSThiker

Quote from: Toth on April 02, 2015, 06:38:48 PM
Like was said above, it depends vastly on the squadron. At my squadron only C/MSgt and above wear the class a jacket during normal meetings, except in special cases, like colorguard, parades etc. but other than that, the short sleeve blues shirt is usually worn, for both males and females.

And the definition of uniform is?

Even though I was required to do that same practice as a cadet, that was a practice I trashed when I became a SQ/CC.