Army Ranger Tab on CAP BDUs

Started by Panzerbjorn, January 07, 2015, 04:27:12 AM

MHC5096

That recently changed as a result of the Coast Guard's Uniform Board 46.

M. PRIOR SERVICE INSIGINA: The Commandant approved a policy
change to allow the optional wear of up to one prior service
qualification insignia.  Further guidance will be promulgated by a
separate ALCGPSC to implement this change and authorize wear of CG
mission related prior service insignia.

I take that to mean that the "while a member of the USCG" requirement is now removed.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

LSThiker

Quote from: Ned on January 08, 2015, 08:17:57 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on January 08, 2015, 07:23:45 PM
If it was someone outside my AOR, I usually went with my guy feeling. 

Me, too.  I usually take my guy feelings to the nearest minor league ball park.   8)

Guy feeling.  Gut feeling.  Meh, what is the difference? :)  But I could do minor league baseball.

Shuman 14

Quote from: MHC5096 on January 08, 2015, 09:22:31 PM
That recently changed as a result of the Coast Guard's Uniform Board 46.

M. PRIOR SERVICE INSIGINA: The Commandant approved a policy
change to allow the optional wear of up to one prior service
qualification insignia.  Further guidance will be promulgated by a
separate ALCGPSC to implement this change and authorize wear of CG
mission related prior service insignia.

I take that to mean that the "while a member of the USCG" requirement is now removed.

I knew it was proposed for the 46 Board, I didn't know it was approved.

Good to know.  :)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

MHC5096

It always seemed crazy to me that a Navy officer who earned an SWO qualification and later transferred to the Coast Guard couldn't wear his SWO pin, but a Coast Guard officer who earned it while participating in an officer exchange program with the Navy could.
Mark H. Crary
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

Flying Pig

Quote from: JC004 on January 08, 2015, 07:30:02 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on January 08, 2015, 06:56:45 PM
Heck, Since I started on the Forum and showed my Signature, Im sure the first thing Eclipse, Flying Pig, and a few others did, was fact check my ribbon rack.

I think you're right.  If I remember correctly, I think you came into existence on CAPTalk just around the time there were a couple actual posers.

CAPTalk has had it's share of posers that's for sure. I don't know that Devil Doc really popped up since his stuff makes sense. Anyone who has been in the military can look at a set of ribbons and tell pretty quick if the story they tell adds up.   It doesn't take a whole lot of experience to look at a stack an say "yeah..... thats a lie".  Ribbons Out of order.   Example.... Combat Action ribbon with no campaign medals.   Purple Heart with no Combat Action (USMC / Navy).  A guy who has a stack of USAF ribbons with a Navy good conduct and nothing else Navy related.... It's little things that don't add up. Usually with just a simple couple of questions you can usually confirm or relieve any suspicions.  It's not rocket science and takes about zero effort.   Around the same time Doc came on there was a dude who had a signature block that had USMC warrant officer rank, gold jump wings, a Purple Heart and some other stuff. But he was missing a good conduct, had a combat action ribbon but no campaign ribbons.   I shot him a PM as a fellow Marine and asked his story and he said he'd gone to jump school in Hawaii.  Then said his Purple Heart was from Desert Storm..... I asked where his good conduct medal was since with the Marines you have to be a SSgt with 12 yrs minimum before you can apply for WO. However he tells me he came in as a WO.   See...... The lie just keeps getting bigger and bigger until you can't ignore it and quickly ends with "Hey... I don't answer to you so $#$^ off" .   But you should probably take your real name and your Squadron our of your Sig block before you do that or your Group Commander may get an email >:D

MHC5096

Hey, I resemble that remark!

4 DOD Awards
6 Navy Awards
5 Air Force Awards
4 Coast Guard Awards

I always enjoyed dress blue uniform inspections in the Air Force with that stack.
Mark H. Crary
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

Flying Pig

Quote from: MHC5096 on January 09, 2015, 01:01:52 AM

4 DOD Awards
6 Navy Awards
5 Air Force Awards
4 Coast Guard Awards

I always enjoyed dress blue uniform inspections in the Air Force with that stack.

Yeah but Im sure the story you tell when asked actually makes sense.

GroundHawg

Quote from: MHC5096 on January 09, 2015, 01:01:52 AM

4 DOD Awards
6 Navy Awards
5 Air Force Awards
4 Coast Guard Awards

I ALWAYS had my 214 and ngb22 on me during inspections. 3 services, both active, guard, and reserve, with too many deployments, plus a few from the USCG from my Aux service... I was heavy stacked for a E6 and got some looks, not always in a good way. The over the top was the state awards, then I just looked ridiculous.

Cliff_Chambliss

Then there are others who just don't see the need for the "see how awesome I am" uniform.  Although I retired from the Army after 24 years I never even considered any Army Ribbons or Badges on the CAP Uniform.  Frankly, I seldom considered a CAP Uniform and was content with the polo or the G/W (just wish they had standardized what shade of grey).

I get the impression too many CAP members are looking for ways to "junk up" their uniforms to resemble banana republic generals.

My Army ribbons, badges, patches, etc are all of a past life and reside peacefully in a display box on my office wall. 
CAP stuff, well some is in a box in the basement, some in a desk drawer, and a lot never purchased.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

JeffDG

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on January 09, 2015, 02:36:02 PM
Then there are others who just don't see the need for the "see how awesome I am" uniform. 

I can count the number of ribbons I actually possess...gimme a sec, carry the one, One.

I have my Alberta Centennial Medal, a foreign civilian award, not entitled to wear it on a CAP uniform.

Flying Pig

People are proud of their decorations, others are but don't care to display them.  Neither view trumps the other.

Майор Хаткевич

Used to wear my ribbons, gt badge, cp badge all the time on the G/Ws. Now I may bust them out for special occasions. Maybe.

kwe1009

Quote from: Nuke52 on January 08, 2015, 05:22:23 PM

However, they're only authorized if related to the airman's "current primary mission," per para 10.5, otherwise "[badges] not related to an Airman's current primary mission are not authorized for wear on the uniform."

Having said all that...  it looks like I can wear my combat patch on my BDUs then, right?   >:D

I never noticed that line in 36-2903 and I guess nobody else has either since I have seen many in the Air Force wearing badges that were earned but are no longer their primary mission.  That rule doesn't make sense but there are many rules and reg that don't make sense either.

Nuke52

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 09, 2015, 11:58:30 PM
Quote from: Nuke52 on January 08, 2015, 05:22:23 PM

However, they're only authorized if related to the airman's "current primary mission," per para 10.5, otherwise "[badges] not related to an Airman's current primary mission are not authorized for wear on the uniform."

Having said all that...  it looks like I can wear my combat patch on my BDUs then, right?   >:D

I never noticed that line in 36-2903 and I guess nobody else has either since I have seen many in the Air Force wearing badges that were earned but are no longer their primary mission.  That rule doesn't make sense but there are many rules and reg that don't make sense either.

That line only refers to "qualification badges," e.g., other services' badges.  For instance, it makes sense for a current USAF JTAC to wear the Air Assault badge he earned while in the ARNG, but not for a current USAF finance officer to wear her old Navy Surface Warfare badge.  (The 36-2903 has the wrong picture for the submariner dolphins, BTW, not to mention all the other typos.  Great attention to detail, guys...) 

AF members who've crosstrained, had a different job as a prior-enlisted, etc., can of course continue to wear their other, previously earned badges IAW 36-2903.
Lt Col
Wilson Awd