Army Ranger Tab on CAP BDUs

Started by Panzerbjorn, January 07, 2015, 04:27:12 AM

Panzerbjorn

We have a Senior member that recently joined that earned his Ranger tab in the Army.  I've looked through 39-1 and the vague answer is that qualification badges earned in the military can be worn on the CAP BDU.  My question really is placement.

Is he allowed to wear it on his shoulder where it is usually placed on an Army uniform, or is it placed somewhere else on the CAP uniform.  Anyone have experience with this that can give concrete guidance?
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Eclipse

The caveat is whether it is approved for wear by the USAF.

If not, then not in CAP, either.

I seem to recall they were in the latest AFI, however as CAP doesn't wear ABUs,
how those things translate probably needs NHQ input.

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2903/afi36-2903.pdf

5.1.2.2. Badges. The total number of badges worn will not exceed four. The
commander's insignia does not count as one of the four badges. Badges will have a solid
background, and will have the edges folded and sewn down with no more than ΒΌ inch
space between embroidered emblem and badge edge. With the exception of tabs worn on
the crest of the upper sleeve (i.e. Army Ranger tab) badges will have squared edges.
Note: See paragraphs 10.1.1. and 10.5. for additional information.

10.1.1. A maximum of four earned embroidered badges and/or patches may be worn on
ABUs. A maximum of two badges are worn on the left side of the uniform front above the
U.S. AIR FORCE tape located above the left breast pocket. Wear only chaplain, aeronautical,
space, cyberspace, occupational, qualification and miscellaneous badges in this location. A
third embroidered badge or patch may be worn on the left breast pocket (such as the missile,
missile operations badges or security forces, fire protection or AFOSI shields, or the
Weapons Instructor Course Graduate Patch or USAF Test Pilot School Patch). If a fourth
badge/patch is worn, it may be worn on the right pocket (i.e. Weapons Instructor Course
Graduate Patch or USAF Test Pilot School Patch, attachment 5 list is not all inclusive) or
above the nametape (as appropriate). Wear regular size embroidered cloth badges, patches,
or specialty insignia on the ABU. If earned and awarded, tabs such as the Army Ranger tab
will be worn on the upper crest of the sleeve and may not interfere with wear of enlisted rank
insignia. Metal pin-on type qualification badges of other services are not authorized for wear
on the ABU.

But again, this is for the ABU.

"That Others May Zoom"

capmaj

Wonder how many folks will think he's just a graduate of Hawk Mt.???   >:D

LSThiker

Quote from: capmaj on January 07, 2015, 04:40:36 AM

It is fun.  I had a cadet tell me I could not wear my Airborne Wings because CAP does not have a jump school. 

Panzerbjorn

Bingo.  Thank you, Eclipse.  I must have read right through that paragraph and missed it between adult beverages.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Panzerbjorn

Oh, wait, you were quoting DoD regs....whoops.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: capmaj on January 07, 2015, 04:40:36 AM

We're kinda thinking that we'll be able to fast track him for one of the advanced CAP Ranger ratings. 
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

SarDragon

I just looked in the 39-1 (again), and see nothing that remotely even hints that wear of a military Ranger tab is authorized. It's a tab, or more broadly, a patch. The only reference I saw related to military accoutrements being worn on our uniforms was for badges. The Ranger tab is not a badge.

Search strings used include: ranger, tab, military, patch.

Quote from: CAPM 39-110.1. Policy. Only those CAP badges and patches described in this chapter will be worn on the CAP uniform. A quick reference to authorized CAP badges and patches is available at Attachment 4.

Seems pretty specific.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

I kneeeeeew this was going to come up soon.  Since it's authorized now by the Air Force for wear on their uniforms, check with CAP NHQ for a specific interpretation. 

If he wants to wear his jump wings on the CAP uniform, suggest the CAP blue and white kind that I think Vanguard has recently made available.  I think matching badges make the uniform look better - especially if you're going to wear a CAP blue/white badge on top and something in the middle. 

If he has another badge he'd like to wear, recommend one of these for custom blue/white military badges:  1800nametape.com (email them...their quality is good), https://www.nametags4u.com/civilairpatrol/ or http://www.thebattlezone.biz/airforce/badges.html

The color of military badges is going to become an issue (not tabs).  I didn't see anything in 39-1 about it.  You could end up with ABU badges only being available in ABU color.   :-\

Quote from: SarDragon on January 07, 2015, 06:56:05 AM
I just looked in the 39-1 (again), and see nothing that remotely even hints that wear of a military Ranger tab is authorized. It's a tab, or more broadly, a patch. The only reference I saw related to military accoutrements being worn on our uniforms was for badges. The Ranger tab is not a badge.

Quote from: CAPM 39-110.1. Policy. Only those CAP badges and patches described in this chapter will be worn on the CAP uniform. A quick reference to authorized CAP badges and patches is available at Attachment 4.

Seems pretty specific.

The Air Force has tabs under the badges section in the AFI...  hmmm...  I'd say this requires a check-that-with-NHQ.

Alaric

Quote from: JC004 on January 07, 2015, 08:03:41 AM
I kneeeeeew this was going to come up soon.  Since it's authorized now by the Air Force for wear on their uniforms, check with CAP NHQ for a specific interpretation. 

If he wants to wear his jump wings on the CAP uniform, suggest the CAP blue and white kind that I think Vanguard has recently made available.  I think matching badges make the uniform look better - especially if you're going to wear a CAP blue/white badge on top and something in the middle. 

If he has another badge he'd like to wear, recommend one of these for custom blue/white military badges:  1800nametape.com (email them...their quality is good), https://www.nametags4u.com/civilairpatrol/ or http://www.thebattlezone.biz/airforce/badges.html

The color of military badges is going to become an issue (not tabs).  I didn't see anything in 39-1 about it.  You could end up with ABU badges only being available in ABU color.   :-\

Quote from: SarDragon on January 07, 2015, 06:56:05 AM

Seems pretty specific.

The Air Force has tabs under the badges section in the AFI...  hmmm...  I'd say this requires a check-that-with-NHQ.

From CAPR 39-1

10.8. Additional Badge Information
10.8.1. US Military badges may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with authorizations and instructions found in AFI 36-2903 when appropriate orders granted by competent military authority are present in the member's CAP personnel record.

From AFI 36-2903

10.1.1. A maximum of four earned embroidered badges and/or patches may be worn on
ABUs. A maximum of two badges are worn on the left side of the uniform front above the
U.S. AIR FORCE tape located above the left breast pocket. Wear only chaplain, aeronautical,
space, cyberspace, occupational, qualification and miscellaneous badges in this location. A
third embroidered badge or patch may be worn on the left breast pocket (such as the missile,
missile operations badges or security forces, fire protection or AFOSI shields, or the
Weapons Instructor Course Graduate Patch or USAF Test Pilot School Patch). If a fourth
badge/patch is worn, it may be worn on the right pocket (i.e. Weapons Instructor Course
Graduate Patch or USAF Test Pilot School Patch, attachment 5 list is not all inclusive) or
above the nametape (as appropriate). Wear regular size embroidered cloth badges, patches,
or specialty insignia on the ABU. If earned and awarded, tabs such as the Army Ranger tab
will be worn on the upper crest of the sleeve and may not interfere with wear of enlisted rank
insignia. Metal pin-on type qualification badges of other services are not authorized for wear
on the ABU.

Would seem to me you could wear it on the blues, since we don't wear ABUs I'd check with NHQ on that one

Military awards are strictly forbidden on CAP specific uniforms so if the OP was speaking of the BBDUs I think you'd be out of luck

Flying Pig

The Army, when in service uniforms, wears their Ranger Tab in the form of a small pin on their pocket flap under their ribbons.  That wouldnt be bad for blues.  Does the AF Regs mention that?

Panzerbjorn

Okay, it would seem to me that the reference in 39-1 that wear of badges/tabs in accordance to AFI 36-2903 and an Army Ranger tab being specifically cited in Section 5.1.2.2 of AFI 36-2903 that Eclipse provided for me provides my answer.  I'm going with it.

Thank you all for the help!
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

JC004

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 07, 2015, 02:46:01 PM
The Army, when in service uniforms, wears their Ranger Tab in the form of a small pin on their pocket flap under their ribbons.  That wouldnt be bad for blues.  Does the AF Regs mention that?

When I looked a couple weeks ago, I didn't see it, but I might have been searching for the wrong thing.

lordmonar

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on January 07, 2015, 03:28:05 PM
Okay, it would seem to me that the reference in 39-1 that wear of badges/tabs in accordance to AFI 36-2903 and an Army Ranger tab being specifically cited in Section 5.1.2.2 of AFI 36-2903 that Eclipse provided for me provides my answer.  I'm going with it.

Or better yet.....ping NHQ via Knowledge Base....that will get you an answer in less then a week that is in-fact NHQ's policy....and not just our interpretation of the regulation.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on January 07, 2015, 03:31:03 PM

Or better yet.....ping NHQ via Knowledge Base....that will get you an answer in less then a week that is in-fact NHQ's policy....and not just our interpretation of the regulation.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  I have KB requests that are many months old and haven't been even looked at.  Less than a week....that's a good one.

lordmonar

Quote from: JeffDG on January 07, 2015, 03:32:46 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 07, 2015, 03:31:03 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  I have KB requests that are many months old and haven't been even looked at.  Less than a week....that's a good one.
All of my KB requests have been handled in a timely manner.   And I have done a lot of them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

Quote from: JC004 on January 07, 2015, 03:28:23 PM

When I looked a couple weeks ago, I didn't see it, but I might have been searching for the wrong thing.

http://www.usma.edu/csm/SiteAssets/SitePages/Home/BYERS-ASU-8x10.jpg

Of course that doesn't mean thats how the AF will wear it.

JC004

I've seen it on the Army uniform, just not in the AFI.  The number of things pinned to an Army uniform gives Air Force leader-types a stroke...

Shuman 14

The sew on full color Tabs are still worn sewn-on the Army Green Class "A" Uniform but as it (Green's) is being phased out and not even being issued anymore to new Soldiers, it's only dinosaurs like myself that still have it and most of us that do... don't. You stand out in a sea of blue.

The only sew on Tab I've actually seen on the shoulder of the Blue Army Service Uniform (ASU) is the Honor Guard Tab worn by the Old Guard.

Ranger, Sapper, and Special Forces Tabs are now all worn as pin on badges on the ASU.

I have yet to see a President's 100 or a Governor's 20 Tab on ASU but those are rare to begin with.

On the Army Combat Uniform (ACU) they are still worn as subdued cloth tabs on left arm pocket flap. 

My question would be... how does the USAF wear the authorized Tabs on Dress and/or Service uniforms? Pin on badges or sew on full color Tabs? However they do it is how it should be worn on the CAP USAF-style uniform.

My educate guess for BDU's would be like Eclipse said... most likely it follows the ABU standard... but... as CAP doesn't wear ABU's... get guidance from higher.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Майор Хаткевич

Interesting stuff!

Closest I found for Blues: