Wesrchester Cadet Squadron 1

Started by flashor, October 15, 2014, 03:17:57 AM

flashor

Does anyone know the heraldry of the Westchester patch, where does the knight fit in

Private Investigator

Quote from: flashor on October 15, 2014, 03:17:57 AM
Does anyone know the heraldry of the Westchester patch, where does the knight fit in

Between the Rook and the Bishop.  8)

flashor

Good answer but not what I'm looking for

THRAWN

Because it is cool. Try contacting your wing historian. You might just get a straight answer there....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Private Investigator

Quote from: THRAWN on October 15, 2014, 05:52:36 PM

Because it is cool. Try contacting your wing historian. You might just get a straight answer there....

Actually "your" Squadron Historian should be the first step, then the Squadron Commander. As Wing Historian I may or may not have the answer. Some patches were designed as far back as the 1940s, and others even recently, do not follow the rules of heraldry.   8)

THRAWN

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 16, 2014, 09:19:07 AM

Actually "your" Squadron Historian should be the first step, then the Squadron Commander. As Wing Historian I may or may not have the answer. Some patches were designed as far back as the 1940s, and others even recently, do not follow the rules of heraldry.   8)

Squadron historian. Comedy. How would the unit commander be in a better position to answer the question than you? If some patches were designed in the 40s he would know as much about it as you do.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: THRAWN on October 16, 2014, 11:02:21 AM

Squadron historian. Comedy. How would the unit commander be in a better position to answer the question than you? If some patches were designed in the 40s he would know as much about it as you do.

Squadron historians are a hit or miss as most squadrons never have a person assigned.  If they do, it is usually because the commander thinks that all positions need to be assigned and gives it to an unsuspected victim.  Granted, some squadrons do have a true historian.  When I get asked by SQ/CCs about the squadron historian position, I usually ask them "Did this person walk in the door and say I want to be a historian?" or "does this person have a degree in history and loves history?".  If it is no to those questions, then do not assign a person to the historian position. 

When I was researching the history and heraldry of my wing's squadron emblems, "it is cool" was a common answer unfortunately.  However, quickly looking at Westchester, NY, the knight seems to be a common mascot or character for the city.  Probably due to that, but that is just a guess.  The route I would take to answer this would be to ask any old timers in your squadron or group.  If there are none, then ask the wing/group historian.  If none after that, try finding people that were apart of the squadron long ago if they know who the designer is.

A number of times I would learn who the designer was because one person would say "oh, I think Bob would know that.  You may want to talk with him."  Then Bob would say "no I do not know, but John was around during that time".  After 3 or 4 people, I would get the answer. 

Private Investigator

It is all about location. i.e. Petticoat Junction Squadron is an 1 1/2 hour from the nearest unit. So anyone in the valley who ever was in CAP was in that Unit.

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/NER/NER.html#NY is the best place to begin your research. NY-048 has nothing. NYWG has 50 +/- Squadrons and only eight has any history of their patch. Sounds like a "FAIL" at the local level, JMHO, YMMV  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: LSThiker on October 16, 2014, 04:37:15 PM

Squadron historians are a hit or miss as most squadrons never have a person assigned.  If they do, it is usually because the commander thinks that all positions need to be assigned and gives it to an unsuspected victim.  Granted, some squadrons do have a true historian.  When I get asked by SQ/CCs about the squadron historian position, I usually ask them "Did this person walk in the door and say I want to be a historian?" or "does this person have a degree in history and loves history?".  If it is no to those questions, then do not assign a person to the historian position. 

When I was researching the history and heraldry of my wing's squadron emblems, "it is cool" was a common answer unfortunately.  However, quickly looking at Westchester, NY, the knight seems to be a common mascot or character for the city.  Probably due to that, but that is just a guess.  The route I would take to answer this would be to ask any old timers in your squadron or group.  If there are none, then ask the wing/group historian.  If none after that, try finding people that were apart of the squadron long ago if they know who the designer is.

A number of times I would learn who the designer was because one person would say "oh, I think Bob would know that.  You may want to talk with him."  Then Bob would say "no I do not know, but John was around during that time".  After 3 or 4 people, I would get the answer.

Exactly the best answer   :clap: