I miss the old CAPVA 52-02

Started by Майор Хаткевич, September 25, 2014, 02:27:53 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Back in the day...WIWAC, the CAPVA 52-02 was a great tool.

It could be blown up and laminated, and dates could be written on a large chart, showing a visual scale of where cadets are in relationship to each other, what they need for the next promotion, and could drive them to be a bit competitive about it (not always a bad thing). As a cadet I used to fill in the boxes in photoshop, and print the updated version to be displayed at the unit.

For those who don't remember or weren't around, this is what it looked like:

With the new program, the old chart became obsolete, and we got the Cadet Super Chart. But while a great resource, it doesn't fill the void of the CAPVAs.

So after burning some late midnight oil, this is what I came up with:

It's my first draft, so I'm sure there's room to improve on, but I think it should do. Of course any input from others is appreciated at as well. It's generated in Excel, but I can't upload those files here (had to retype this whole post because of it! GRR!). I've got a .PDF attached, and can send the excel to anyone interested. Right now it has 2 tabs for Phase I/II and Phase III/IV, with a total of 50 lines, but 45 can print on a regular 11 x 8.5 sheet.

Edit: I should also plug the NHQ "Individual" list, which I think is a great tool in the age of no regs being sent to cadets:

Anthony@CAP

Looks great, with a little bit of technical expertise in CAPWATCH or even just the excel version of the Cadet Tracking report and you can semi-automate the report so it fills in the boxes for you.

I used to do something similar with the cadets under my command. I had an additional column on every sign in sheet that gave them the number of weeks left in time-in-grade and what requirements were left for promotion. I got a lot of positive feedback from both the cadets and parents after we started doing that, and definitely noticed an increased rate of completion of tasks from the cadets.

Eclipse

Wow - those names - ((*sniff*)).

Good idea, as long as it stays current - I'm dealing with one situation where the chart they are using hasn't been updated since 2009 but
is still on the wall.  Most of the cadets are either seniors or moved on, and those still around have done more then the chart shows.

Something like this electronic for part of a rotating display or projection would be nice.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Automation is not a bad idea. I'm not too excel guru, so I can see where I'd run into problems with a simple script, but worth trying.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on September 25, 2014, 04:29:46 PM
Wow - those names - ((*sniff*)).

Good idea, as long as it stays current - I'm dealing with one situation where the chart they are using hasn't been updated since 2009 but
is still on the wall.  Most of the cadets are either seniors or moved on, and those still around have done more then the chart shows.

Something like this electronic for part of a rotating display or projection would be nice.

As with anything..obviously upkeep is a big deal.

The great thing is that you can't regress, so even if behind, it just needs to be updated back up.

Of course I used to update it weekly based on meeting results, so in cases like that it shouldn't be an issue.