Modernizing the physical fitness program

Started by Eclipse, August 26, 2014, 05:35:12 AM

LTC Don

Quote from: A.Member on August 26, 2014, 09:30:50 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on August 26, 2014, 09:10:31 PM
Quote from: A.Member on August 26, 2014, 09:06:18 PM
I'd even buy into a prgoram for Seniors (lead by example).

For a while, I used to perform the CPFT with the cadets.  On the mile run, I was beating all but one.  She was a cross country runner coming in at 6:30 a mile.  I was 6:35 a mile.
Good on you. 

We organized a squadron 5K, complete with awards.  It was open to seniors and cadets and other squadrons as well - but members only, no family members, public, etc..   It was fun, turnout was good (we had members from at least 4 different squadrons), and it helped build esprit de corps.  It was fun to see a few of the cross country runners put the hammer down thinking they'd leave us in the dust only to see the old guys right there with them (although there was  one who did manage to leave us in the dust; one of our state's top h.s. cross country runners)

Of course, we could step it up to this  ;) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggFA-IguTIs

That's awesome.  :clap: Would love to see a white paper on that activity. 
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ColonelJack on August 26, 2014, 08:54:45 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on August 26, 2014, 08:29:54 PM
I can see dimly into the future...

We will be able to lie in bed, put a plug into our head and work that way. Our bodies will atrophy. We will take nourishment from pills and tubes. No one will move. Gas prices will fall to extraordinary levels. Those less fortunate than the elite will become powerhouses of physicality, able to move small mountains while their brains shrink.

Hey, I saw that movie ... "Wall-E" if I remember correctly.   ;D

Jack

More like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrogates

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on August 27, 2014, 04:28:10 AM
The point being......by definition only 25% of the population will be in the 75th percentile........there are some people who will NEVER no matter how much effort or training make it to that standard.

One of the many reasons why we only have .05% (or less) of our cadets ever get their Spaatz.

Pt is what stalled me out at 17. Granted some was my fault, I was certainly not an active type. But I did the double whammy - one year older and into a new phase. So not only did the percentile change, but also the requirements based on being older. From there, college and work weren't too far away, and as things go, I never went past my Earhart Award. Probably not a big deal in the long run of a lifetime, but it's something that will nag me forever, probably.

Storm Chaser

When I joined CAP back in the '80s, I wasn't very active or in the best of shapes. Because I wanted to promote and participate in drill competitions, I challenged myself to exercise more and, after much effort, was able to get in good shape. When I came back after a prolonged absence, I was surprised to see how watered down the PT program was. Heck, we used to do PT almost every week and now cadets don't even have to run the mile or pass every component of the PT test to pass. We did push ups for things like not not wearing our uniforms properly and now that's considered hazing. It's no wonder that the average CAP cadet is not as active or fit as other young men and women their age. Although, in all fairness, the average kid now a days prefers to play video games or watch TV than play sports or exercise.

lordmonar

Are you suggesting cap cadets are less active the the average American kid?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on August 27, 2014, 07:58:16 PM

Sadly, no. However, in my experience not many kids that are active in sports, especially competitive sports, join or remain active in CAP. YMMV.

A.Member

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 27, 2014, 08:19:44 PM
... in my experience not many kids that are active in sports, especially competitive sports, join or remain active in CAP. YMMV.
Concur.  As a general statement with exceptions, of course, this may be true.  Although, there may be a potential opportunity there to reach some of those more active kids.  This is because the approach to youth competitive sports has changed over the years. 

As kids enter high school, team sizes are constrained by the given sport.   Kids must try out to make teams.  This is not new.  What has changed, however, is the fact that kids are increasingly specializing/focusing on one activity from a young age, in order to increase their chances of gaining a coveted spot on the team; more and more the days of the 3 sport athlete are gone.   At the same time, there are more kids competing for those few sports, leaving many on the outside looking in.  As a result, you see intramural sports/activities popping up at the high school levels where they never existed previously.  You're also seeing new sports sprout up/take hold.  Kids are looking for different outlets for physical activity.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Майор Хаткевич

Sadly, no. However, in my experience not many kids that are active in sports, especially competitive sports, join or remain active in CAP. YMMV.

And again, as pointed out, 75th percentile is just that. It's not 75th of ALL kids. It's 75th of a certain age, further making it "harder", especially if you're not physically inclined, based on genetics and other factors. Outside of that, while I'm no conspiracy nut, schools often "hide" bad test takers in detention, expulsion, etc for the standardized government tests. I'm not at all familiar with how the fitness tests were done, but what was the sample based on? No way was it ALL students. Was it voluntary? Did schools get something out of letting these kids participate/score well?

lordmonar

I agree.....my son is very active (practice 3-4 times per week in the evenings.  Games on Saturday/Sunday) in soccer....he between that and school he does not have time for CAP.

But the point I have been trying to make is that those cadets in or below the 25th percentile who might be interested in CAP.....don't join or quit in the first year when they can't promote. 

So we keep PT as part of CAP.....just not part of our promotion standards.   That is what this white paper is recommending, if I am reading it correctly.

LSThiker

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 27, 2014, 09:07:36 PM
And again, as pointed out, 75th percentile is just that. It's not 75th of ALL kids. It's 75th of a certain age, further making it "harder", especially if you're not physically inclined, based on genetics and other factors. Outside of that, while I'm no conspiracy nut, schools often "hide" bad test takers in detention, expulsion, etc for the standardized government tests. I'm not at all familiar with how the fitness tests were done, but what was the sample based on? No way was it ALL students. Was it voluntary? Did schools get something out of letting these kids participate/score well?

They were based on a study conducted in 1985 and further validated in 1998.  The study matched similarly to those conducted in 1958, 1965, and 1975.

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED291714.pdf

And no it is not a Christmas proceedings paper.

To answer your questions though:

QuotePrincipals of the selected schools were mailed all of the informative documents sent the superintendents and a work sheet was sent requesting a list of physical education classes with enrollments for each (for schools in which physical education was a required subject in the grades sampled) along with a list of the number of students in each class

QuoteTesters were instructed to make all possible efforts to test all students. If a student was absent or ill on the test day, the tester was instructed to test the student when back in school and able to perform.  When students could not perform one or more tests because of a minor injury, school personnel were asked to note that on the data card. Students were asked to perform all tests of which they were physically capable.

LSThiker

lordmonar

Why a test?

I don't think anyone is saying that we should not continue to do PT activities.   The white paper says we should still be assessing all our cadets quarterly and we should be working with them to improve their physical fitness.

The only suggest is that we remove the PT test as part of the promotion requirements.

So the PT promotion requirement might read something like the Character Development requirements for promotion.  "have you completed a PT Assessment in the last 90 days?"

Unit will still have to have meet the recommended contact hours for PT, cadets will still have to particapate in the PT (baring physical disability/injury) as part of the "participate in squadron activities".

Eclipse

Because CAP is >supposed< to be about object standards, not just "showing up", and
you also need to take into consideration the average unit.

Move to "participation" and the next you know, formations will be considered "PT" and
the entire idea will simply fade into the past.

And before you know it, Spaatz will be little more then an exercise in longevity.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 27, 2014, 11:50:55 PM
Because CAP is >supposed< to be about object standards, not just "showing up", and
you also need to take into consideration the average unit.

Move to "participation" and the next you know, formations will be considered "PT" and
the entire idea will simply fade into the past.

And before you know it, Spaatz will be little more then an exercise in longevity.
I disagree....the most important standards in the cadet program are the subjective standards.
Creating leaders and good citizens is not about memorizing some AE and leadership facts.....it is most certainly not about running a mile in 6:45 seconds.

How long has Character Development been just "participation"?   I know we have not let it slide into "We told them not to do drugs and then moved on".

I reject your slipper slope argument.

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on August 27, 2014, 11:28:56 PM
Why a test?

I don't think anyone is saying that we should not continue to do PT activities.   The white paper says we should still be assessing all our cadets quarterly and we should be working with them to improve their physical fitness.

The only suggest is that we remove the PT test as part of the promotion requirements.

So the PT promotion requirement might read something like the Character Development requirements for promotion.  "have you completed a PT Assessment in the last 90 days?"

Unit will still have to have meet the recommended contact hours for PT, cadets will still have to particapate in the PT (baring physical disability/injury) as part of the "participate in squadron activities".

I did not say not change the CPFT.  We can change it as I like the PYPF concept as I mentioned in another thread.  We can make it the same way the Army and Air Force have their PFTs.  Have you completed a PFT in the last 4 or 6 months?  Yes?  Good for go on promotion.  No?  Sorry, no promotion until completed.  Or no weekend activities.  Or no O-flights.  Or no whatever.

But my point is that we need to keep physical fitness as part of the cadet program.  Removal was brought up in another thread prior to this.

Why a test?  Because it is called the Presidential Youth Fitness Program fitness test

QuoteThe PYFP fitness test uses Fitnessgram assessment protocols. Test events remain about the same.

We can play the semantics game of whether we call it a Cadet Physical Fitness Test or a Cadet PT Assessment, but regardless of the label, the concept is still a cadet physical fitness test.  As long as we have a standard for age and gender for physical fitness that requires some preparation (not run a mile in under 20 minutes) based on a nationally recognized set of data, we are good to go. 

However, if it becomes a "unit must perform X hours of physical fitness each month", then it is a waste of time as some squadrons will consider drill PT.  Or units will pick an activity like dodge ball, while fun and has moments of activity, most of the time people get knocked out and simply sit on the edge doing no physical activity while the game is in play. 

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on August 28, 2014, 12:00:18 AM
I disagree....the most important standards in the cadet program are the subjective standards.

The words in bold do not go together, especially in regards to a paramilitary program.

As a matter of fact, the subjective stuff is what generally gets CAP leaders in the most trouble and
causes the most angst and attrition among members, both cadet and senior.

You provide opportunities and set expectations of performance, that is what CAP is literally all about.
Start getting "subjective" and "relative" and you will take the legs off the program.  The trendlines
are already negative, this would be one more cut, but a big one.

What's next? As long as you "tried" to take the online / open book test, you get promoted?

CPFT, along with the expectations of performance and the effort required, are why our cadets
stand above their peers, the trouble is, the intentions have been all but ignored,
another leadership failure, and one I would hazard we'll be told "can't be fixed" by NHQ.

When a cadet is failing at PT, a Commander is >supposed< to start working with that cadet to get
them to the proper level, many units wouldn't even consider that an option, and I know for a fact,
over the years, of >many< units that weren't even doing PT, or not doing it right (nonsense
like a running start for the shuttle run, etc.), and everyone looked the other way, until the
bumped into a Spaatz test and needed oxygen and a calendar to finish the run.

Like just about everything in CAP right now, especially anything that hints around a retention issue,
the "fix" is not to relax the standard, but to start working the >entire< program, the way it was intended,
and start leaning on the upper echelons to get the lower ones to do their jobs or give up their badge.

And yes, it's another issue about "not enough people" - we have no selection pool for CCs, so we take
what we can get, they don't do their jobs, but we can't fire them because there is no one else,
so we start relaxing standards.

There are a lot of companies which started this death spiral, never to recover.  When you consider
all the other alternatives kids have these days for their attention, the last thing CAP needs to start doing
is leaning towards becoming another social / rec center / participation trophy organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Further to the above.

If the standards become "subjective" and "relative" what incentive do the fit cadets have for
excelling?

Cadets are not dumb, a cadet capable of a fast mile with good effort can certainly figure out
how to run a medium mile with no effort, and then just "improve" (whatever that means).

Cap already excels in "sit here quietly and you'll get a badge" as it is, we don't need to institutionalize it.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Sorry Eclipse you are wrong.

When is Cadet X ready for promotion?

When is Member Y ready for promotion?

You yourself keep reminding us that no promotion is automatic.    So.....there are subjective standards for promotion.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2014, 12:27:37 AM
Further to the above.

If the standards become "subjective" and "relative" what incentive do the fit cadets have for
excelling?

Cadets are not dumb, a cadet capable of a fast mile with good effort can certainly figure out
how to run a medium mile with no effort, and then just "improve" (whatever that means).

Cap already excels in "sit here quietly and you'll get a badge" as it is, we don't need to institutionalize it.
If the changes happen....the standard will be "have you competed the Physical Fitness Assessment in the last 90 days".   There will not be a pass or fail.   

The unit will still have to have a PT program...they will still have to meet their contact hours....but now only have to do "the test" four times a year instead of 12.

So that means (if you are like my unit) you can spend the whole 2 1/2 hours on PT night doing all sorts of PT stuff instead of burning up half of it doing the test for those who need it for promotion.

It means that we don't hold back cadets because they can't meet a standard that has very little to do with being a good leader and citizen, but still show that physical fitness is a good thing, and important to the "whole person".....just like we do with character development.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on August 28, 2014, 12:39:04 AM
It means that we don't hold back cadets because they can't meet a standard that has very little to do with being a good leader and citizen, but still show that physical fitness is a good thing, and important to the "whole person".....just like we do with character development.

No comparison to CDI - CDI is a "sit quietly" and try not to let the big guy see you on your phone.

PT requires physical effort and initiative, especially if you aren't hitting the marks.

"contact hours"?  If that becomes the standard, you might as well just drop it altogether, because a lot of units will let the
wall-huggers slide, avoid the conversation, and click "promote", creating another sub-class in CAP - namely cadets who
are obviously getting clicked-through by their CC's.

"That Others May Zoom"