Main Menu

CPR Patch

Started by trbennett1, July 15, 2014, 07:31:28 PM

AirAux

Are you guys for real??  Being a medical professional and staying up-to-date on all of my requirements, let me say, while renewal of CPR is a good idea, I do not feel it is mandatory.  It is a skill that once learned sticks with you and does not need a 4 hour class every year or two to refresh.  10-15 minutes would do.  The think I always enjoy is that they modify the training each time by the width of the hair on a gnats you know what.  This year we will not elevate the chin.  This year we will not lift the back of the head.  This year we will do 20 breaths and not 15.  This year we will not worry about chest compressions.  This year we will no longer safety pin the tongue to the shirt collar.  So many people trying to substantiate their paychecks over nothing.  CPR hardly ever works.  What a waste of valuable training time, kind of like our monthly, daily, hourly safety briefings.  Check the box, move on.  Everything has gotten so CS that it isn't fun anymore.  I think the only time I heard CPR being used successfully in CAP was when HWSNBN saved 15 people on a grayhound bus that he ran off the road or something like that..  But I digress.

Luis R. Ramos

So if it riles you up so much, why the long dissertation on it?  :angel:
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

THRAWN

Quote from: AirAux on July 22, 2014, 03:35:47 PM
Are you guys for real??  Being a medical professional and staying up-to-date on all of my requirements, let me say, while renewal of CPR is a good idea, I do not feel it is mandatory.  It is a skill that once learned sticks with you and does not need a 4 hour class every year or two to refresh.  10-15 minutes would do.  The think I always enjoy is that they modify the training each time by the width of the hair on a gnats you know what.  This year we will not elevate the chin.  This year we will not lift the back of the head.  This year we will do 20 breaths and not 15.  This year we will not worry about chest compressions.  This year we will no longer safety pin the tongue to the shirt collar.  So many people trying to substantiate their paychecks over nothing.  CPR hardly ever works.  What a waste of valuable training time, kind of like our monthly, daily, hourly safety briefings.  Check the box, move on.  Everything has gotten so CS that it isn't fun anymore.  I think the only time I heard CPR being used successfully in CAP was when HWSNBN saved 15 people on a grayhound bus that he ran off the road or something like that..  But I digress.

Great Caesar's ghost...you're right. It seldom works...aside from the two times in my life that I have seen it used effectively, once by me. As a "medical professional" you should know that there are perishable skills. That's why you have to keep up with and recertify for specifics skills. By your logic, once someone does a form 5, or shoots a gun, or drives a car, they should never have to demonstrate that skill again. Medical science changes, and with it, so do procedures. Keeping up with those procedures is part of the responsibility that you take on when you agree to take the training.

All this over a $1.95 patch....priorities are in the right place, at least.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023