New CPP Codified - Updated 52-10

Started by Spaceman3750, April 17, 2014, 05:19:04 PM

Eclipse

A revised version of 52-10 has been released, effective today:  http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R052_010_C5B73B2B78712.pdf

The rules that caused the majority of angst and concern have all been rescinded or relaxed.

Still generally 3-up with exceptions

g. Transportation. If an adult leader transports cadets other than his or her family
members or cadets known through relationships existing prior to their CAP membership to,
from, or during a CAP activity, the party must number at least three (adult leader driver plus two
cadets; or adult leader driver, second adult leader, and one cadet). See 2-7c for details on prior
relationships. Regarding liability insurance, transportation to and from CAP activities via
member-owned vehicles is not considered part of official travel and is therefore conducted at the
member's risk (see CAPR 900-5, Civil Air Patrol Insurance/Benefits Program, 10). 

This doesn't mean 3-up travel goes away completely, and whether a relationship exists outside
CAP is probably best left to the Wing CC and JA.  Were I to be in a situation where I was going to
do a neighbor kid a favor and drive him by myself, I'd still run it by wing before I thought it was "OK".

Gender-specific supervision on overnight activities no longer required:
b. Co-Ed Supervision. Ideally, the staff of adult leaders supervising an activity should
include adults of the same gender(s)
as the participating cadets, but that is not a requirement. Co-ed
cadet activities may proceed without a co-ed adult staff. However, if an activity's adult leaders are of
a single gender, that fact will be publicized in advance and noted on the CAPF 32 Parental
Permission Slip (section 6) so that parents and cadets can make an informed decision about their
participation.

Casual encounters, as well as pre-existing relationships no longer a factor in CPP rules:
c. Personal Contact Outside of CAP Activities. Normally, cadets and adult leaders are not
permitted to have significant contact outside of official CAP activities. However, CAP recognizes
that there are a limited number of situations in which contact between adult leaders and cadets
outside of authorized meetings and activities may occur because of chance encounters, pre-existing
relationships, or other situations described below.

(1) Chance Encounters. Brief conversations between adult leaders and cadets resulting
from chance encounters in the community are permitted.

(2) Prior Relationships. Non-romantic relationships between adult leaders and cadets
that existed prior to one of the individuals joining CAP (e.g. family, neighbors, coworkers, etc.) are
not improper and may continue, including substantial contact outside of CAP activities. However, all
CPP standards of practice will continue to apply during CAP activities except the "transportation rule
of three" (2-3g) is not applicable. Adult leaders with prior relationships with cadets may transport
those cadets to and from CAP activities under one-deep leadership with the parent's permission.

(3) Professional Relationships. Relationships of a professional nature between adult
leaders and cadets (e.g. teacher/student, doctor/patient, clergy/congregant, etc.) are not improper, and
substantial contact outside of CAP activities may occur, provided the interactions are made in the
context of the professional relationship.10 CAPR 52-10 1 OCTOBER 2014

(4) Other Organizations. An adult leader's and cadet's mutual membership in another
organization is not improper, and substantial contact outside of CAP activities may occur when the
the interactions are made expressly for the purpose of participating in that organization's activities
(e.g. a cadet and senior join a Ham radio club and interact at radio club events, IAW club rules).

(5) Children's Friends. When cadets become personal friends and a member of one of
the families is an adult leader, the adult leader's interactions with their child's friend outside of CAP
activities in a non-CAP capacity are not improper. However, all CPP standards of practice will
continue to apply during CAP activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JeffDG

Quote from: NC Hokie on October 01, 2014, 05:23:10 PM
Hurray for common sense!

We need to mount a search party immediately to find all the NHQ lawyers.  They seem to have disappeared for common sense to break out.

NIN

Quote from: JeffDG on October 01, 2014, 05:36:46 PM

We need to mount a search party immediately to find all the NHQ lawyers.  They seem to have disappeared for common sense to break out.

Or the OPR's original text and intent were simply restored.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

abdsp51

So where is this new basic and advanced course that is suppose to be out?  Or is it going to be a last min push and stressor?

dwb

The blog post stated that the new materials have been delayed because of the Oct 1 changes, and that the due dates for completing the courses will also move to the right. No, it will not be a last-minute stressor.

Grumpy

Do you think that horse will ever get a chance to pull the cart instead of pushing it??

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPAPRN

Glad to see reason prevailed. Wish I had known BEFORE getting all the parent forms signed two weeks ago for an overnight work detail at a country fair. Where it poured rain sideways. And we stood in the pouring rain all day. And the tents basically were floating and we had to relocate some of the kids to a barn. Ten days after I broke my arm (i.e. I could have stayed home as I was next to useless with a flipper for an arm and in pain). And I was the only female senior MEMBER (all those other women could be mass murderers and some how I will beat them off with my cast), at a multi squadron fundraiser- the largest fundraiser in fact for most in our wing. But at least reason eventually prevailed.
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

Eclipse

When was this activity?

The gender bias in supervision wasn't to be in effect until 1 Oct, so it should have never been a factor except
for the wailing and gnashing of teeth discussion.

You would have and will still have needed the F32s regardless.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPAPRN

The event was October 4/5th- so the form 32's didn't state that we wouldn't have both gender seniors- as required if not present- so in order to be compliant I still had to have the a senior female present- broken arm and all. But I must say it is really nice to do multi- squadron events (even in a monsoon) as it really helps to plan and pool resources for future events like O-Flights, fundraisers etc.
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment