Main Menu

Pipeline Recruiting

Started by NIN, April 14, 2014, 01:41:15 PM

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2014, 12:52:11 PM
Quote from: NIN on April 17, 2014, 12:49:36 PM
(and internally, I'm going "Crikey, what the heck are you doing with your time?")

"Drill" which is code for "I haven't prepared anything for this meeting, Sir."

Used to make me crazy.

Out comes my knifehand.

We have a training event next Saturday for new NCOs (and for our Basic Flight), and this is a subject.  Plus, I've had this discussion with the cadet commander.  They're always spring-loaded in the "in the absence of better ideas, march in circles with zero training value!" position.  Its a hard habit to break, and one that I've seen in CAP units since I was a cadet in the 1980s.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Walkman

Quote from: NIN on April 17, 2014, 01:06:25 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2014, 12:52:11 PM
"Drill" which is code for "I haven't prepared anything for this meeting, Sir."

Out comes my knifehand.

I've recently had a few meeting where this has happened. I came up with a new twist on drill time that for the short term made it a little more fun and interesting. I had the cadets set up chairs randomly about the room and then they had to split into small teams and have one cadet lead the team through the "obstacle course" using drill commands. We also timed it once to make it a little competitive. My idea was that this developed a little more team work and quick thinking/reacting, plus a little bit of impromptu planning on the team leader. They have to look a head a little to see the next obstacle and decide what to movement to call.

Not something that you could do all the time, but it worked.

NIN, I'm stealing your planning process, BTW.

Eclipse

Even the most basic framework is lost on some units.

"Blues first meeting of the month"

"PT and testing the second"

"Promotions only on blues night"

Etc., etc.

It actually frees up head space to not reinvent the wheel in the car on the way to the meeting, and
shows we appreciate the members' time.  We have so few contact hours as it is, wasting any of it
is borderline negligence.

To get back to the OP.  Good schedules and time management are critical to pipe-lining.  You'll have
weeks where the new cadets are segregated from the main group, with any number of places where they
need to come back together, not to mention outside activities which they may or may not be qualified / prepared for,
and then there's the flight integration at the end of the evolution.

Meanwhile, the rest of the unit has to carry on, not to mention planning the next pipe.

This is why successful units have more then 3 seniors, folks.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2014, 01:45:23 PM
Good schedules and time management are critical to pipe-lining.

Plus - those are key indicators of a well functioning unit that has a good program, which leads to people wanting to join when the times comes. Units that don't have much going on and/or are very disorganized are going to have a hard time recruiting and keeping members period, pipeline method or not.

Eclipse

Quote from: Walkman on April 17, 2014, 01:50:00 PM
Good schedules and time management are critical to pipe-lining.

Plus - those are key indicators of a well functioning unit that has a good program, which leads to people wanting to join when the times comes. Units that don't have much going on and/or are very disorganized are going to have a hard time recruiting and keeping members period, pipeline method or not.

+1 x 10.  That goes for everything from CAP to the PTA.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2014, 12:46:15 PM
Quote from: Lt Col Tim Day on April 17, 2014, 11:53:26 AMBy keeping to a weekly rotating schedule we seem to recruit many parents of cadets and others who are willing to be active cadet program team members.

Huge.   I keep emphasizing this locally muchly to crickets.

Families with adolescents these days are so busy it's somewhat mindboggling, and the very kids who will
make successful cadets are at the top of the "busy" food chain. 

Scouts, sports, other extracurricular, homework, occasionally goofing off. My wife and I live in the calendar to
keep everything straight.  And many times have to make "which one" decisions when things conflict.

If your unit does not have a robust, electronic (so you can subscribe to it), public calendar that
is some variation on the 13-week schedule, you're cooked.  Cadets need to know the expectations
weeks in advance, to do parents, especially if the have to prepare or do "homework", and when
the "which one" decisions have to be made, if there's no indication of what CAP is doing that night,
who do you think will win?

This is doubly true for new members who have no idea what to expect or what is "normal",
but >want< to see an active situation that will make good use of their time.

Ditto for parents, if they know they are needed.  "The night before" is not enough notice.

If you're walking into a unit meeting with no idea what you're going to do, you're doing it wrong.

:clap: :clap:

We no longer have adolescents in the home - we actually miss that - but everything you said is totally correct.

Engaging the parents is key, and we're struggling to get the shared calendar going - partly because we seem to have cadets who don't share things with parents...I remember this well as I used to have to 'shake down' my youngest to get the letters, notes etc out of his backpack!

I see more replies have arrived while I was struggling to type....I'll read those before I think about writing more!

Eclipse

The lack of these common-sense, baseline management principles is a circumstance of having commanders
who have never been managers or military leaders, and having no internal training required.

UCC?  50% of the time is spent whining about "Why I can't have a van".

This is the kind of thing the Command specialty was intended to fix - experienced mentors
helping new CC's.  I have a Senior, two months short of Master, the only conversation in
my wing is how to get the rating.  No one cares about utilizing the people.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Even the most basic framework is lost on some units.

"Blues first meeting of the month"

"PT and testing the second"

"Promotions only on blues night"

Etc., etc.

It actually frees up head space to not reinvent the wheel in the car on the way to the meeting, and
shows we appreciate the members' time.  We have so few contact hours as it is, wasting any of it
is borderline negligence.

To get back to the OP.  Good schedules and time management are critical to pipe-lining.  You'll have
weeks where the new cadets are segregated from the main group, with any number of places where they
need to come back together, not to mention outside activities which they may or may not be qualified / prepared for,
and then there's the flight integration at the end of the evolution.

Meanwhile, the rest of the unit has to carry on, not to mention planning the next pipe.

This is why successful units have more then 3 seniors, folks.

:clap: :clap:...again

To emphasize your last point: This is why successful units have more then 3 seniors who actually contribute to the program, folks.  My addition in bold italics within the quote.

I got really angry with a couple of so-called SM who showed up, nothing prepared, just shrugged their shoulders and took (for example) an ES or AE session by telling WIWAC stories.  We jettisoned them before we lost cadets from the program.

Years ago, my church hosted a meeting with the diocesan Director of Evangelism.  We were in the same situation - loosing members, couldn't keep families etc.  He pointed out that modern parents 'pay top dollar' for their children's activities, which includes CAP or the church children's program, and they expect FULL value for money or they'll go elsewhere.  That is even more true if you want their money AND their time.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2014, 01:59:36 PM
The lack of these common-sense, baseline management principles is a circumstance of having commanders
who have never been managers or military leaders, and having no internal training required.

<<Clipped>>

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NIN

A repeatable, predictable schedule also helps retention.

Think about a 14-16 year old cadet.

"I've been out for 6 weeks doing soccer, I'm not 100% sure whats going on at the unit. I need to reengage, but I don't want to show up and be in the wrong uniform..."

"Oh, its the first week of the month. Blues. Safety brief and Aerospace class! I knew that"

or

<checks squadron website & calendar>
"Oh yeah, blues. Aerospace and safety."

or even (*shockingly*)
<phone call>
"Sergeant, I'm going to be at the meeting this week, whats the uniform?"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Private Investigator

My "pipeline" recruiting question is as a Senior Member if I join on May 1, 2014 and I am interested in Mission Pilot, Unit Comm officer so what is the timetable, calendar, schedule for my Form 5 and likewise for Master rating in Comm. When is my SLS and CLC?

Now same question for a Cadet who joined on 5/1/2014, projecting Mitchell by 7/1/2016?  8) 

NIN

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 17, 2014, 05:32:31 PM
My "pipeline" recruiting question is as a Senior Member if I join on May 1, 2014 and I am interested in Mission Pilot, Unit Comm officer so what is the timetable, calendar, schedule for my Form 5 and likewise for Master rating in Comm. When is my SLS and CLC?

I can't necessarily answer that, but it would be handy to have the ability to answer that when a member/prospective member asks.  Sort of an "expected lifecycle."

"By 1 July we should have foundations completed, you should have X & Y completed and reported in eServices by 1 Sept, and by 1 Nov your packet for 2Lt should be downrange for action.  Meanwhile, we get  your flight records built, get you scheduled in for a Form 5 before 30 July, you'll need to get these three things done as prereqs to that Form 5. ...."

Yeah, I mean, there is always the "ideal schedule" and then "the schedule that winds up happening."

Now same question for a Cadet who joined on 5/1/2014, projecting Mitchell by 7/1/2016?  8)

Thats pretty easy, "Assuming you can complete all requirements in the minimum time, you should be able to get your Mitchell by 1 JULY 16. However, there are any number of factors that could impact that, including your ability to take and pass tests, attend activities, pass the PFT, successfully acquit yourself before a promotion review board for C/SSgt and above, and attend summer encampment either this year or next year. We'd recommend this year."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: Walkman on April 15, 2014, 01:32:09 AM
In MIWG the largest squadron didn't exist three years ago. The CC grew it from zero doing pipelining. We did a great breakout session on pipelining and his Great Start on Steroids program for wing conference.

I think I would define it as "targeted" recruiting. You are looking for a Finance officer, PAO, Supply Officer, etc, etc.   8)

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2014, 12:46:15 PM
If your unit does not have a robust, electronic (so you can subscribe to it), public calendar that is some variation on the 13-week schedule, you're cooked. 

Any suggestions on how you would get that done?  Facebook?  Something else?

I'm trying to get this implemented in my unit, and a little advice would be appreciated.

NIN

Quote from: Panache on April 18, 2014, 05:22:28 AM
I'm trying to get this implemented in my unit, and a little advice would be appreciated.

Google Calendar.  Better yet: Google Apps for Non-Profits
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Panache

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on April 18, 2014, 10:46:37 AM

Free, easy, and already in use all over CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

What about "shake 'n bake" recruiting. It worked well for the Army, 1967-1972.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Shake-Bake-Sergeant-Sergeants/dp/1453770275   8)

Tim Day

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2014, 02:56:42 PM
Quote from: NIN on April 18, 2014, 10:46:37 AM

Free, easy, and already in use all over CAP.

Free, but there is sometimes a few rounds that you have to go with Google due to the way our non-profit is structured. Dr. Dotherow at NHQ was extremely helpful to me as I obtained our squadron's Google Apps for non-profits account. Very responsive in providing the needed documentation, etc.

There are huge benefits over regular Google, especially for larger squadrons.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Eclipse

Yes - the biggest issue is the domain usually pops a flag since technically a .gov is not eligible for apps
for non-profit.

A follow-up explanation gets things back on track and you can move on.

Make sure you request enough licenses, including accounting for growth.

"That Others May Zoom"