New Cadet Programs Specialty Track Pamphlet P216 published

Started by paul83814, January 23, 2014, 05:40:38 PM

a2capt

johnnyb47

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P216_A3EECB272DFF7.pdf
Page 18:
"Those enrolled and actively pursuing a Master Rating in Cadet Programs before April 1, 2014 can complete their rating using the standards from CAPP 216, dated April 2011 by October 1, 2015."
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eclipse

Though to be fair, I doubt the issue would have gotten the speed of response without
the visibility here.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 01, 2014, 03:57:04 PM
Well unless you were pursuing a master rating in CP or DDR you are hosed in any regards to your ratings.  Thank you NHQ for screwing people over.

My sense is that you were a little upset when you wrote that.

Every specialty track upgrades from time to time, and CP is no exception.  It looks like you have been working in the CP specialty track for about two years now.  The old requirements and the new requirements overlap about 90%, so although there may be a slight delay for you in a worst case scenario, it seems a little over the top to talk about being "hosed" or the hardworking paid corporate CP staff (all three of them) "screwing people over."

Such an exageration when referring to other CAP members and staffers does not appear to represent a solid committement to our Core Value of Respect.

Thank you for your service with our cadets.  You are shaping our nation's future.

Ned Lee

abdsp51

Quote from: Ned on April 01, 2014, 06:42:42 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on April 01, 2014, 03:57:04 PM
Well unless you were pursuing a master rating in CP or DDR you are hosed in any regards to your ratings.  Thank you NHQ for screwing people over.

My sense is that you were a little upset when you wrote that.

Every specialty track upgrades from time to time, and CP is no exception.  It looks like you have been working in the CP specialty track for about two years now.  The old requirements and the new requirements overlap about 90%, so although there may be a slight delay for you in a worst case scenario, it seems a little over the top to talk about being "hosed" or the hardworking paid corporate CP staff (all three of them) "screwing people over."

Such an exageration when referring to other CAP members and staffers does not appear to represent a solid committement to our Core Value of Respect.

Thank you for your service with our cadets.  You are shaping our nation's future.

Ned Lee

A little upset is an understatement sir.  I was hosed as I had one requirement left and under this had more added including programs not even built.  You want to talk about respect where's the respect to membership who have strived and busted their keyster and we get a slap in the face. If they couldn't grandfather everyone then no one should be grandfathered. This basiaclly says thanks for your work but its not good enough you have more to do.  And I doubt I am the only one who feels this way just the only one whos saying something.  So much for doing whats right and loyalty.

jimmydeanno

These links would be helpful because someone posted links to the old document.

CP Specialty Track Home Page
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/library/cp-specialty-track/

CAPP 216, April 2014
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPP_216__April_2014_495142F8A32A7.pdf

Contrary to popular opinion, people who have been working on a rating are not "screwed over."  There's a grandfather clause, and the training requirements are 90% the same as they were in the 2011 edition. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: johnnyb47 on April 01, 2014, 06:11:34 PM
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P216_A3EECB272DFF7.pdf
Page 18:
"Those enrolled and actively pursuing a Master Rating in Cadet Programs before April 1, 2014 can complete their rating using the standards from CAPP 216, dated April 2011 by October 1, 2015."

Well that's nice. Those of us who were close to a Senior rating are still SOL.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 01, 2014, 06:58:37 PM
These links would be helpful because someone posted links to the old document.

CP Specialty Track Home Page
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/library/cp-specialty-track/

CAPP 216, April 2014
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPP_216__April_2014_495142F8A32A7.pdf

Contrary to popular opinion, people who have been working on a rating are not "screwed over."  There's a grandfather clause, and the training requirements are 90% the same as they were in the 2011 edition.

Ok, lets take a look. I'll use myself as the example:

Old requirements:
6.3 KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Emphasis Items
1. Identify the procedures used to update cadets' records and approve cadet promotions using the
online Cadet Promotions Application. Done.

2. Describe the unit commander's role in ensuring compliance with the Cadet Protection Policy;
identify the procedures to be followed if cadet abuse is alleged. Done.

3. Describe the unit commander's role in deciding to promote or retain a cadet in grade; identify
counseling requirements and the form used to evaluate cadet performance. Done.

4. Identify the eligibility requirements to participate in the cadet orientation flight program and
how cadet flying is reported. Done.

5. Identify senior member's obligations to cadets' parents, including what parents expect during
initial orientation and what they expect during cadet activities throughout the year. Done.

Supervision & Safety
6. Describe the role of senior members in ensuring cadet safety during activities; outline the
procedures for reporting a mishap. Done.

Administration & Membership
7. Outline the procedures used to request the Gen Carl A Spaatz Award Exam. Done.

8. Identify the procedures used when cadets wish to take advantage of the Cadet Uniform Program. Done.

9. Describe how the cadet physical fitness test is administered; identify how each event is scored. Done.

10. Outline the procedures cadets follow to apply for a National Cadet Special Activity; state the
role of the unit commander in the NCSA application process. Done.

11. Identify the eligibility requirements and nomination procedures for the Cadet of the Year award
(nationally, and locally if applicable); identify the eligibility requirements to earn related cadet
awards sponsored by the Air Force Association, Air Force Sergeants' Association, and Veterans
of Foreign Wars. Done.

12. Identify the requirements for JROTC cadets to be eligible to advance in the Cadet Program at an
accelerated rate. Done.

13. Identify the minimum eligibility requirements for CAP scholarships; outline the basic application
procedures. Done.

14. Identify the eligibility requirements for the Community Service Ribbon. Done.

15. Identify the eligibility requirements and the role of cadet sponsor members. Done.

Activities & Curriculum
16. Discuss the TLC course's recommended planning cycle when using cadets as instructors during
weekly squadron meetings. Done.

17. Discuss the TLC course's recommended planning cycle for generating a weekly squadron
meeting schedule. Done.

18. Summarize the goals and activities involved in the Model Rocketry, AEX, and Satellite Tool Kit
programs; identify the steps involved in obtaining the course materials and completing those
programs. Done.

19. Describe the major goals of the CAP Drug Demand Reduction program. Done.

20. Describe the goals of the Congressional Award; outline the procedures used by cadets who want
to participate. Done.

21. Describe the goals of the Staff Duty Analysis program; explain the role seniors play in this
program; identify how commanders and leadership officers evaluate SDA reports and staff
service. Done.

22. Summarize the overall goals of cadet encampments and identify some highlights of your wing's
encampment program. Done.

23. Describe the overall goals of cadet competition; identify the drill team and color guard
competition events. Done.

24. Describe opportunities cadets have to participate in CAP emergency services training and
missions; outline the basic procedures cadets follow to become eligible to participate. Done.

6.4 SERVICE REQUIREMENTS
1. Actively serve for one year as a technician-rated Cadet Programs staff officer, performing duties
with minimal supervision. Suggested positions include leadership officer, aerospace education
officer, activities officer, and testing officer. Done.

2. Complete Level II of the Senior Member Professional Development program. Done.

3. Demonstrate how to update a cadet's record and process a promotion using the Cadet
Promotions Application in E-Services. Done.

4. Participate as a senior member advisor during at least 3 leadership feedback meetings for
promotion-eligible cadets; complete a CAPF 50 for each cadet, or review CAPF 50's prepared by
cadet officers. Done.

5. Mentor a cadet officer or NCO leading a class or training activity (20 minutes or longer in
duration), following the planning cycle recommended in Seminar M4 of the TLC course. Done.

6. Serve as a staff officer responsible for planning or conducting a significant portion of three cadet
activities beyond routine weekly squadron meetings, since earning the technician rating. Done.

7. Serve as a senior member staff officer / advisor in the Cadet Great Start program. NEEDED

8. Contact at least two cadets who allowed their memberships to lapse during the previous 12
months and inquire about their reasons for leaving CAP. Share your findings with your trainer
and/or commander (and of course, invite the cadets to return to CAP). NEEDED

9. Complete a "Self Assessment for Cadet Units" and share your findings with your trainer and/or
commander. Done.

10. Complete the Training Leaders of Cadets course. Done.

11. Successfully complete the open-book, un-timed Cadet Programs Officer Senior Rating Test with
a grade of 80% or higher, corrected to 100%. Done.
24+11 = 35 total items 33/35 completed
New requirements:
[I started looking and they changed these? The Jan 2014 version had significantly different goals. What gives, NHQ?]
What jumps out at me now:
Correctly describe in detail the proper DDR program implementation strategies at the unit and wing level.
Mentor a cadet officer or NCO leading a class or training activity of 20 minutes or longer in duration on Drug Awareness and Prevention, or lead an activity from the Drug Demand Reduction Excellence guide.
Prior to this change, what stuck out were multiple DDR service requirements, planning and executing an O-flight day, attending a 40 hour cadet activity (read: encampment), Not describing, but actually sending AFA Award packets, and a few other items. I was at least 6-7 items away from where I was under the old program. So what gives? This is a drastically different product from January.

abdsp51

Yup.  More work for everyone and who cares how it impacts membership especially in one of the three main missions.  Validates just how important those in CP really are.

jimmydeanno

It seems that having better trained CP officers is more beneficial to the CP.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

abdsp51

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 02, 2014, 01:53:16 AM

And hose membership in the process.  I bet if they changed the requirements for ES and to be a pilot they'd have a better timeline for execution. 

Spaceman3750

Try being in ES, where ESOs are basically winging it because our specialty track sucks.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 02, 2014, 02:16:32 AM

And hose membership in the process.  I bet if they changed the requirements for ES and to be a pilot they'd have a better timeline for execution.

Perhaps you should try meditation.  Even a few minutes a day can help relieve anxiety and tension. 

In all seriousness, though, if I were king of the world, our specialty track ratings would expire and need continuing training to maintain currency. 
Once, WIWAC, they decided to revamp the entire promotion system on us.  They made C/Sgt into C/SrA, added a few more Cadet NCO grades at the top, eliminated C/FO, and created ribbons that I'd never be able to earn because I had already passed them.  When I got my Mitchell, me and 4 other cadets in my unit got them at the same time and were promoted to C/FO.  I kept working and got promoted to C/2d Lt just as the phaseout of C/FO happened, so all my peers who had done nothing also got promoted.  Imagine that, I worked so hard to get myself promoted and that darn NHQ just went and promoted all those slackers.

So then, I became a Senior Member and started working on the 216 specialty track.  I got my technician rating, and was working towards senior and WHAM!  A new course comes out called TLC, and to get my senior rating, I have to attend it.  How dare they demand that I get more training to be proficient at my job while I'm right in the middle of a level! 

Change happens.  Sometimes a few people get hung up in it.  It's not the end of the world, and if you're going to have a heart attack about it, pick one of the specialties that nobody has updated since 1997, like Administration. I think you're making this a way bigger deal than it is.

abdsp51

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 02, 2014, 02:39:37 AM

Perhaps you should try meditation.  Even a few minutes a day can help relieve anxiety and tension. 

In all seriousness, though, if I were king of the world, our specialty track ratings would expire and need continuing training to maintain currency. 
Once, WIWAC, they decided to revamp the entire promotion system on us.  They made C/Sgt into C/SrA, added a few more Cadet NCO grades at the top, eliminated C/FO, and created ribbons that I'd never be able to earn because I had already passed them.  When I got my Mitchell, me and 4 other cadets in my unit got them at the same time and were promoted to C/FO.  I kept working and got promoted to C/2d Lt just as the phaseout of C/FO happened, so all my peers who had done nothing also got promoted.  Imagine that, I worked so hard to get myself promoted and that darn NHQ just went and promoted all those slackers.

So then, I became a Senior Member and started working on the 216 specialty track.  I got my technician rating, and was working towards senior and WHAM!  A new course comes out called TLC, and to get my senior rating, I have to attend it.  How dare they demand that I get more training to be proficient at my job while I'm right in the middle of a level! 

Change happens.  Sometimes a few people get hung up in it.  It's not the end of the world, and if you're going to have a heart attack about it, pick one of the specialties that nobody has updated since 1997, like Administration. I think you're making this a way bigger deal than it is.

And perhaps you fail to see that to some it is a big deal especially when you where right at the finish line and it's moved on you.  Change poorly executed as this has been is piss poor leadership.  Hell lets make it to where to be a pilot you need a commercial license, multi engine rating, cfi and 800hrs just to start and you need 1500 just to fly cadets on top of the others.  You have your rating so who cares, who cares that this has screwed people on theirs and pushed it back.  Shoot lets just say that to be ground team you need the sheriffs blessingbon top of ours, oh wait that won't happen because its more important than CP.

LSThiker

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 02, 2014, 02:56:13 AM
And perhaps you fail to see that to some it is a big deal especially when you where right at the finish line and it's moved on you.  Change poorly executed as this has been is piss poor leadership.  Hell lets make it to where to be a pilot you need a commercial license, multi engine rating, cfi and 800hrs just to start and you need 1500 just to fly cadets on top of the others.  You have your rating so who cares, who cares that this has screwed people on theirs and pushed it back.  Shoot lets just say that to be ground team you need the sheriffs blessingbon top of ours, oh wait that won't happen because its more important than CP.

Calm down.  You are making illogical arguments.  Does it suck?  Sure, but I would not say NHQ does not care about the cadet program.  This has happened to me on a number of occasions both inside and outside of CAP.  The only you can do is drive on and carry out the mission.

abdsp51

Quote from: LSThiker on April 02, 2014, 03:35:53 AM

Calm down.  You are making illogical arguments.  Does it suck?  Sure, but I would not say NHQ does not care about the cadet program.  This has happened to me on a number of occasions both inside and outside of CAP.  The only you can do is drive on and carry out the mission.

Of course it's no big deal to those it doesn't impact, but I bet if it impacted your ratings and progression you'd feel otherwise. NHQ doesn't care about the impact this has had on membership involved and that is clear.  If they did care everyone would have been grandfathered, and this wouldn't have been "prematurely published".  Piss poor leadership at higher levels with no regard how it impacts those in the system.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 02, 2014, 03:59:08 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on April 02, 2014, 03:35:53 AM

Of course it's no big deal to those it doesn't impact, but I bet if it impacted your ratings and progression you'd feel otherwise. NHQ doesn't care about the impact this has had on membership involved and that is clear.  If they did care everyone would have been grandfathered, and this wouldn't have been "prematurely published".  Piss poor leadership at higher levels with no regard how it impacts those in the system.

You know, Cadet Programs is about the cadets, not the senior members running it. You seem to care more about the rating than anything else. Let it go. Either complete the new requirements, pursue a different specialty track, or just leave CAP as you said you would in the beginning of this thread.

And by the way, this change affected me too. It's not the first time something like this happens. Heck, it's happened to me in the Air Force too. Just move on.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 02, 2014, 02:39:37 AM

I've been sitting idle on this for long enough.

We have discussed this back in Jan to ensure that your timeline for completion of the senior rating is not as severely impacted.

After a review of both the 2011 and 2014 (April) pamphlets, it seems a grand total of 4 requirements (2 knowledge, 2 service) have been added to your senior rating.  Of the knowledge requirements, we've already discussed them and I have no problem as your OJT supervisor and commander saying they are complete.  For the service requirements, the first you are already working on and could argue is actually already complete.  You are scheduled for TLC at the end of this month, something that people are bending over backwards to have happen.  Just give me two ideas for improvement of our cadet program that you learned in the course and you're good, bam you have your senior rating.  You could easily have this accomplished NLT the first weekend in May.

Seriously, it is NOT worth it to get so worked up over this.  There are bigger fish to fry and bigger pots to stir.  I'd rather not lose an otherwise stellar officer, mentor and friend, I know the cadets wouldn't either.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Майор Хаткевич

To be fair, Jan version had a significant amount of extra requirements that would be at best, a lengthy few months. Seems they have removed those.

lordmonar

I'm still not really sure what the problem is?

Okay....sure it is a disappointment to find out you now have to more stuff to get your badge.......just like everyone after you.

Are we not supposed to set the bar where we think it needs to be?
Are we supposed to not make changes because of people already in the pipeline?
If we grandfathered people in....how is that fair to you....but unfair to the guy who is only a few days away from completing his tech rating?

Someone has got to get screwed.....it just happens to be you this time.

Move on press on.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP